Holy Rule for Nov. 2

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2005

      First, a great quote:

      �We must not make purgatory into a flaming concentration camp on the brink of
      hell�or even a �hell for a short time.� It is blasphemous to think of it as a
      place where a petty God exacts the last pound�or ounce�of flesh.... St.
      Catherine of Genoa, a mystic of the 15th century, wrote that the �fire� of
      purgatory is God�s love �burning� the soul so that, at last, the soul is wholly
      aflame. It is the pain of wanting to be made totally worthy of One who is seen
      as infinitely lovable, the pain of desire for union that is now absolutely
      assured, but not yet fully tasted� (Leonard Foley, O.F.M., Believing in Jesus).

      Now, prayers, please, for all the dear ones of all of our readers who have gone before us in faith. Prayers, too, for Howard, for whom we prayed, his non-functioning kidney is being removed and a biopsy will be done, also for Terry and Gert, bracing themselves for the eventual putting down of Mikey, their 11 year old cat, who has many breathing and heart problems. Prayers for Pete, his wife and all his family. He has multiple medical problems but severe circulatory problems in his legs and feet have him getting an MRI. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      March 3, July 3, November 2
      Chapter 26: On Those Who Without an Order Associate with the
      Excommunicated

      If any sister presumes
      without an order from the Abbess
      to associate in any way with an excommunicated sister,
      or to speak with her,
      or to send her a message,
      let her incur a similar punishment of excommunication.

      REFLECTION

      The principle here goes well afield of monastic excommunication.
      Tempting though it often is, at some very real point one cannot (and
      ought not!) "protect" another from a parent or abbot or
      teacher or spouse. For better or worse, the one charged by God with
      the care of the child or monastic or student or partner really bears
      that charge, in ways that we cannot interfere with.

      This chapter was written for those who had already gone through all
      the earlier stages. They wound up in the ultimate form of monastic
      exclusion. At that point, one must leave the monastic and Abbot to
      themselves and pray. We are not called to play good cop/bad cop any
      longer.

      We must stand back in prayerful silence. God gave the monastic and
      the superior and the Abbey to each other. It is folly of the richest
      sort to assume He didn't know what He was doing. God also gave the
      parent and child, boss and employee, and the spouses to each other.

      Remember, I said "at some point" one must do nothing but pray. There
      are plenty of ways to be genuinely helpful before that point is
      reached and one ought to do so. I surely tried to love my students
      who broke my heart with their pain, but at some point I was helpless.
      God gave X this parent and God is not mean. Cannot be. Will never be.
      I had to trust Him at that extreme and pray for the best, which is
      all God works for anyway. And God works MUCH more efficiently than I
      do.

      Our railing at the seeming harshness of this chapter can cover
      another very important fact. Sometimes WE are the seemingly
      malevolent torturers and we don't even see that. Rare is the person
      who can truly judge themselves with the standards they cavalierly
      apply to others! Even worse, it often happens that we are BOTH the
      torturer and the innocent victim, doing it most hatefully within our hearts,
      where none but God can enter.

      Our own flawed and fallen hearts trash our own pathetic souls,
      beating them up with all kinds of useless recrimination and self-
      loathings. Whoops! Not what we would have first noticed, is it? Yet
      we sometimes lock the doors of that torture chamber with the key that locks out
      even God: free will. We and we alone can thwart God in our own
      regard. Scary power, isn't it?

      Check out the times we have "excommunicated" ourselves, check out the
      times we have damnably placed ourselves beyond any help from anyone.
      The injustice there is much harder for us to see, but it is terribly
      real. Whenever we do that, we affirm the terrible heresy that we know
      better than God, that His omniscience stops at the door to our inner
      selves. Wrong!!

      I love Gerard Manley Hopkins; he is my all-time favorite poet. I
      think he and I had more than a thing or two in common, not least of
      which were the tendencies to depression and beating oneself up with
      extreme efficiency. Here's what he wrote that sings to my heart, and
      I hope to yours as well.

      "My own heart let me more have pity on; let
      Me live to my sad self hereafter kind,
      Charitable; not live this tormented mind
      With this tormented mind tormenting yet."

      Pray for the awful excommunications that you CANNOT help and look
      ever so carefully for those you and you alone can relieve, those of
      your own soul and heart! God alone can bring good from evil, any
      evil. Ask Him, let Him. He will never fail.

      A final word on this day when many of us are thinking on Purgatory. This
      is my own opinion, not official teaching, but I don't think it contradicts the
      teaching in any way. Try to think of Purgatory as also being our chance to
      forgive ourselves. Surely the awesome mercy and love of God are so
      infinite that many of us may have a hard time accepting them at first, a
      hard time forgiving OURSELVES for being so dumb. Purgatory might
      very well serve that purpose, too! We cannot, after all, be perfectly happy
      in Heaven until we are perfectly comfortable there. For that comfort,
      self-forgiveness is very necessary!

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2006

        On this Feast of All Souls, prayers for all the dear ones of our readers
        gone to God. Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord! And let perpetual light shine
        upon them.

        Special prayers for our Abbot Hugh, of Pluscarden. His Mother, Mrs. Gilbert,
        died this morning. Prayers for her happy death and eternal rest, and for all
        her family and those who mourn her. What a propitious day to die: just
        before the whole Church begins to pray for all the faithful departed! May she be
        safe and sound and rejoicing in the arms of God. Lord, help us all as You know
[...]

        extreme efficiency. Here's something he wrote that sings to my heart, and