Feast of All Souls

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2005

      I beg the indulgence [now that is neither a Freudian slip nor a pun!!] of all
      our readers to who belong to traditions which do not believe in prayers for the
      dead. Giving today's feast and the content, this is going to be a very
      Catholic message, but we have many Catholics in our midst, some of whom could
      well need to hear it.

      For Catholics in union with Rome, Purgatory is a defined dogma, a reality we
      cannot deny. How it happens, how long the purification and cleansing lasts,
      these matters are less clear, but we have not, as a Church abandoned the concept
      of Purgatory, nor could we. It is de Fide, a permanent fixture of Catholic
      faith. It could be a flash of brilliance in a twinkling, as is fashionable today
      to hope, but it could be otherwise, too. We simply do not know and our wishes in
      the matter, however charitable, are not normative!

      We also believe that in the cleansing, however brief or long, the soul has lost
      all ability to help itself. Help can come only from our prayers and those of the
      Church on earth for the Church Suffering, the Holy Souls. Hence, ANY assistance
      given them is held by them in literally eternal gratitude. Their prayers of
      intercession, I KNOW, from my own personal experience over years, are very, very
      powerful with God. I have never had them refuse me any good thing. Never.

      I often think that their gratitude is even greater these days, when so many
      Catholics have abandoned the practice of praying for them or offering good works
      or indulgences for them. If you have a heart for the underdog and neglected, for
      Heaven's sake (literally!!) take another look at praying for the Holy Souls who
      await their final entry to Heaven. Prayer for them is a work of mercy you can do
      any day, at any time. Corporal works of mercy sometimes may be out of our means
      or scope, but spiritual ones, never so!

      So yes, this year there is a special urgency, but every year, every day, stop
      forgetting the Holy Souls if you have been doing so in the past. They are great
      friends to have and they need us so badly. We can make the daily intention to
      gain all the indulgences we can that day and offer them for the Souls. What a
      great good is offered us to undertake every day.

      Now, though you were all forewarned, this part is REALLY Roman Catholic. A
      plenary (full) indulgence, applicable only to the Holy Souls, may be gained by
      those who under the usual conditions and having gone to Confession and
      Communion, visit a cemetery and say there some prayer of any kind for the Holy
      Souls. This indulgence may be gained on the feast itself and daily for 7 days
      thereafter. Go for it!

      If you have never tried the practice of saying a prayer for those buried in
      every cemetery we pass, do so. I confess that I didn't do that for most of my life, but
      I do now and it has become a practice very dear to me. I got my first good
      example of it when riding with the late Fr. Ernest Schultz of Saint Leo Abbey, himself a
      convert. He used to bless the graves in cemeteries as we drove past. I never
      forgot his example, but I shamed to say how long it took for me to follow it
      regularly.

      Last, but not least, a simple prayer, said to have been given to our own St.
      Gertrude the Great, OSB! The revelation apparently is contested by some as
      unverifiable, but I am willing to hope on the side of mercy. Jesus is reputed to
      have told her that 1,000 souls would be released for each repetition of this
      prayer, hence it is sometimes known as the 1,000 Souls Prayer. It is one of my
      favorites.

      Eternal Father, I offer You the most precious Blood of Your Divine Son, Jesus,
      in union with the Masses said throughout the world today for all the Holy Souls in
      Purgatory.

      It is short, sweet and easily memorized!

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2009

        If God allowed me to pass on only three things to others they would
        be the Divine Mercy, the Morning Offering and devotion to the Holy
        Souls, in that order. That explains my shameless re-run of this All
        Souls' Day post.

        First, a great quote:

        "We must not make purgatory into a flaming concentration camp on the
        brink of hell, or even a hell for a short time. It is
        blasphemous to think of it as a place where a petty God exacts the
        last pound or ounce of flesh.... St. Catherine of Genoa, a
        mystic of the 15th century, wrote that the fire of purgatory
        is God's love burning the soul so that, at last, the soul
        is wholly aflame. It is the pain of wanting to be made totally
        worthy of One who is seen as infinitely lovable, the pain of desire
        for union that is now
        absolutely assured, but not yet fully tasted" (Leonard Foley,
        O.F.M., Believing in Jesus)

        I beg the indulgence [now that is neither a Freudian slip nor a
        pun!!] of all our readers to who belong to traditions which do not
        believe in prayers for the dead. Given today's feast and the
[...]

        So yes, this day there is a special urgency, but every year, every
        day, stop forgetting the Holy Souls if you have been doing so in
        the past. They are great friends to have and they need us so badly.
        We can make the daily intention to gain all the indulgences we can
        that day and offer them for the Souls. What a great good is offered
        us to undertake every day.

        Now, though you were all forewarned, this part is REALLY Roman
        Catholic. A plenary (full) indulgence, applicable only to the Holy
        Souls, may be gained by those who under the usual conditions and
        having gone to Confession and Communion, visit a cemetery and say
        there some prayer of any kind for the Holy Souls. This indulgence
        may be gained on the feast itself and daily for 7 days thereafter.
        Go for it!

        If you have never tried the practice of saying a prayer for those
        buried in every cemetery you pass, do so. I confess that I didn't
        do that for most of my life, but I do now and it has become a
        practice very dear to me. I got my first good example of it when
        riding with the late Fr. Ernest Schultz of Saint Leo Abbey, himself
        a convert. He used to bless the graves in cemeteries as we drove
        past. I never forgot his example, but I am ashamed to say how long