Feb 11

  • russophile2002 <jeromeleo@earthlink.net>
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11 7:20 PM

      Continued prayers, please, for Byrony, the infant with a malignant
      kidney tumor and for her parents and loving great aunt, who
      recommended her to our prayers. Her blood pressure is unstable, but
      physicians will have to operate anyway. Thanks! NRN JL

      February 11, June 12, October 12

      Chapter 9: How Many Psalms Are to Be Said at the Night Office

      In winter time as defined above,
      there is first this verse to be said three times:
      "O Lord, open my lips,
      and my mouth shall declare Your praise."
      To it is added Psalm 3 and the "Glory be to the Father,"
      and after that Psalm 94 to be chanted with an antiphon
      or even chanted simply.
      Let the Ambrosian hymn follow next,
      and then six Psalms with antiphons.
      When these are finished and the verse said,
      let the Abbot give a blessing;
      then, all being seated on the benches,
      let three lessons be read from the book on the lectern
      by the brethren in their turns,
      and after each lesson let a responsory be chanted.
      Two of the responsories are to be said
      without a "Glory be to the Father"
      but after the third lesson
      let the chanter say the "Glory be to the Father,"
      and as soon as he begins it let all rise from their seats
      out of honor and reverence to the Holy Trinity.

      The books to be read at the Night Office
      shall be those of divine authorship,
      of both the Old and the New Testament,
      and also the explanations of them which have been made
      by well known and orthodox Catholic Fathers.

      After these three lessons with their responsories
      let the remaining six Psalms follow,
      to be chanted with "Alleluia."
      After these shall follow the lesson from the Apostle,
      to be recited by heart,
      the verse
      and the petition of the litany, that is "Lord, have mercy on us."
      And so let the Night Office come to an end.

      REFLECTION

      Keeping Vigils is one of the things monastics do and have done from
      time immemorial. Monasteries are structured to make that possible.
      Things that are never easy are at least possible in monasteries
      because everything has been geared toward that end.

      Oblates in the world may sometimes express regret that they cannot
      keep the whole monastic Office, but let me assure you, there are
      Vigils kept by Oblates of which monastics have no clue. Sure, it's
      hard to get up in the dark and say 14 psalms, but monastics need
      never face the harder, lonelier Vigils spent beside a desperately ill
      spouse or child. They need not face the terror of long insomniac
      nights of financial dread and worry, which compounds when one
      realizes that oversleeping might cost one one's job. The vocations in
      which Oblates find themselves often more than compensate for whatever
      ascesis one might find in a cloister!

      But, you see, that is how it ought to be: all the graces we need for
      holiness, for sainthood, are built right into our situations. The
      monk need not long for parenthood, nor the parent for the cloister.
      Each vocation is different and appropriately varied, but every
      vocation carries within it exactly the means of grace which God knew
      from all eternity would be most perfect for us.

      Never, ever think that a night spent sleepless for a sick child
      doesn't count as many, many, MANY Vigils! Benedictines live and
      thrive in all manner of environments today, and some of the best of
      them are not in choir in the wee hours, but that matters absolutely
      not at all!