Holy Rule for Sept. 30

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30 6:18 AM

      Prayers, please, for two Jeromes now long gone to God, my Dad and my grandfather, who are the reason I took the name, and for all of us Jeromes on the feast of St. Jerome. I make bold to ask prayers for a special intention of my own, too. Several people are now working together with me to get these reflections published in book form. That we may all do God's will at exactly the speed He wants us to.

      Prayers, for Don, panic/anxiety attack, and for all those trying to help. Prayers for Nan, that a tenant problem be resolved. Prayers, too, for Bibbs, an older cat gentleman in otherwise good health, a mass on his jaw has his humans worried. Prayers for them all. Pet lovers will well understand how anxious such things can be to one's heart! Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      The second degree of humility
      is that a person love not his own will
      nor take pleasure in satisfying his desires,
      but model his actions on the saying of the Lord,
      "I have come not to do My own will,
      but the will of Him who sent Me" (John 6:38).
      It is written also,
      "Self-will has its punishment,
      but constraint wins a crown."

      REFLECTION

      OK, who doesn't love their own will, or take pleasure in satisfying
      their desires? Who doesn't love their sexuality or some of the
      dearest things they own and treasure? For a healthy person, all of
      these are very normal loves. For some of us, one or another of these
      loves is very much part of our vocation, for example, in marriage
      one's sexuality is the very means of self-gift. The key is to keep
      them ordinate, in line and yes, balanced!

      The means to this step is neither to go overboard hunting for things
      we hate to afflict ourselves with nor to insist on our own way at all
      costs. The real meaning here is found in the statement that Christ
      came not to do His own will, but the will of His Father. With the exception of
      fasting, we don't see Jesus going out His way to find things distasteful to
      Him, nor do we see Him stoically and resolutely refusing to enjoy things that
      please Him. His will is one with the Father's. He also has a human nature
      that prayed in Gethsemane to be spared from that Divine will, but, in
      Jesus, the flawed human nature, when it does not accord with the Divine,
      never wins.

      Alas, in us, that human will often DOES win: why else would we be
      struggling along the monastic way all our lives? Unlike Jesus, we are
      not sinless, we are able to sin and often do so all too gladly! We
      must daily- even from minute to minute- turn from the bad in our own
      wills. It is an ongoing fight, but that is what conversatio morum
      means, "conversion of manner of life"! As Benedictines we will-
      indeed, must- always be straining against the negative goad, always
      be seeking the place of greater light and good.

      The will of God is frequently very hard to see. For some of us, at
      some times, it is downright impossible to see. There will always be
      times when we must trundle along blindly, without our senses to
      reassure us. That is why trust is such an integral part of our
      monastic struggle. At those times, the only way haltingly forward is
      to embrace the blinding darkness before us and firmly, trustingly
      clutch the hand of Christ. Even in the darkness, we must say: "Jesus,
      I trust in You!"

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 29 6:50 PM

        Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of my Dad and my grandfather,
        both Jeromes, and for
        all us Jeromes on our Feastday.

        Prayers needed for Nancy, who is dying in the hospital, for her husband
        Larry, and Fr. Wilmar who is ministering to them. Also need prayers for
        Jean who will be having a breast cancer removed on Monday, and for Ed,
        her husband. She just found out about it and is pretty upset. Prayers,
        please,
        for Rose, early 80's, recently diagnosed with terminal leukemia, for her
        husband,
        Frank, their 4 sons and their families.

        Prayers of Deo gratias for one who got the meds she needed and they are
        working!
        Prayers for Fr. Robert Taft, SJ, a liturgical scholar whose books some of us
        have enjoyed.
        He had emergency intestinal surgery. Lord, help us all as You know and will.

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 29 3:41 PM

          Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of my Dad and grandfather on their feast day, and for all us Jeromes.

          Prayers, please for Jan, severe depression and a drinking problem, prayers, too, for all suffering from depression, other mental illnesses and addictions. So many suffer in silence and forgotten by most.

          Prayers for a special intention for the will of God regarding a retreat for Fr. Brendan, Bp. Basil, Pat and George. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

          The second degree of humility
          is that a person love not his own will
          nor take pleasure in satisfying his desires,
          but model his actions on the saying of the Lord,
          "I have come not to do My own will,
          but the will of Him who sent Me" (John 6:38).
          It is written also,
          "Self-will has its punishment,
          but constraint wins a crown."

          REFLECTION

          OK, who doesn't love their own will, or take pleasure in satisfying
          their desires? Who doesn't love their individuality or some of the
[...]

          Jesus, the human nature, when it does not accord with the Divine,
          never wins.

          Alas, in us, that human will often DOES win: why else would we be
          struggling along the monastic way all our lives? Unlike Jesus, we are
          not sinless, we are able to sin and often do so all too gladly! We
          must daily- even from minute to minute- turn from the bad in our own
          wills. It is an ongoing fight, but that is what conversatio morum
          means, "conversion of manner of life"! As Benedictines we will-
          indeed, must- always be straining against the negative goad, always
          be seeking the place of greater light and good.

          The will of God is frequently very hard to see. For some of us, at
          some times, it is all but impossible to see. There will always be