Holy Rule for Sept. 25

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 25, 2005

      Prayers, please, for Fr. Gregory of St. Andrew Abbey, Valyermo, hospitalized with blood clots after prostate cancer surgery, and for Bob, chemo and radiation for cancer of the esophagus and liver. Prayers for Br. Finbar, on his feastday, many graces and blessings! Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      Holy Scripture, brethren, cries out to us, saying,
      "Everyone who exalts himself shall be humbled,
      and he who humbles himself shall be exalted" (Luke 14:11).
      In saying this it shows us
      that all exaltation is a kind of pride,
      against which the Prophet proves himself to be on guard
      when he says,
      "Lord, my heart is not exalted,
      nor are mine eyes lifted up;
      neither have I walked in great matters,
      nor in wonders above me."
      But how has he acted?
      "Rather have I been of humble mind
      than exalting myself;
      as a weaned child on its mother's breast,
      so You solace my soul" (Ps. 130:1-2).

      Hence, brethren,
      if we wish to reach the very highest point of humility
      and to arrive speedily at that heavenly exaltation
      to which ascent is made through the humility of this present life,
      we must
      by our ascending actions
      erect the ladder Jacob saw in his dream,
      on which Angels appeared to him descending and ascending.
      By that descent and ascent
      we must surely understand nothing else than this,
      that we descend by self-exaltation and ascend by humility.
      And the ladder thus set up is our life in the would,
      which the Lord raises up to heaven if our heart is humbled.
      For we call our body and soul the sides of the ladder,
      and into these sides our divine vocation has inserted
      the different steps of humility and discipline we must climb.

      REFLECTION

      At some earlier point in monastic life, a cancer entered X with
      little struggle. X began a concerted effort of some years length to
      gain power. It was not pretty for those who got in the way of
      this "upward" mobility. Not surprisingly, X succeeded. Anytime we
      seek something fatal to monastic life, we can count on Satan doing
      all he can to help us!

      So now, X has more power than anyone short of the superior and is
      even a formidable entity to the superior who enabled all this
      nonsense. And X has all but perfectly inoculated the monastic
      struggle to zero by doing the exact opposite of what God intends us
      to do: become little, become less, become pliant. As so often happens
      when Satan helps us along, X has not one clue of how treacherous this
      whole mess has become.

      X bought self-protection through control and that is a terrible fate
      worthy of great pity. We did not become monastics to protect
      ourselves, at least not in that way! Let us thank God that God's
      mercy is unfathomable. Hopefully, X will be converted, but with little
      help from X!! That power trip is not the way it's supposed to be.
      That's not what we came here to do.

      No way, folks, buy out of all that garbage. We ASCEND by humility and
      DESCEND by exaltation! Own that, it is true! Look for its truth in
      Jesus, our Master and our Truth. Jesus worked signs and wonders.
      Jesus is God. He could have had Herod and Pilate and all of the Roman
      Empire quivering in fear at His feet by a mere flick of the wrist or
      less! But did He...? Nope. The way to the Throne above all thrones
      was the Cross, was spittle and hatred and whipping and nails and
      thorns. Sorry, beloveds, it doesn't look like upward mobility and power-
      grasping to me.

      However, in the truest sense, it was both. In that paradox of inverse
      mystery, Jesus went upwardly mobile beyond any human dreams, with a
      power over all that was absolute and real, because it was humble.
      That is His alone, and none may aspire to it, but He tells all of us
      the way up is to be on the bottom.

      The Christian, the monastic, whether newest Oblate or eldest Abbot, does
      not climb over the heads of others less fortunate or ambitious. The
      monastic rejoices at no clout, bathes and swims in the warm waters of
      being discounted and ignored, even scorned. Let me tell you, the
      bottom of the pyramid, or as close to that as you can possibly get is
      an enviable place to be. Seek it with all your heart! And pray hard
      for those who don't know better or have forgotten that they ever did!

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 24, 2006

        Prayers for Dom Finbar of Pluscarden, on his feastday. Ad multos annos and
        many graces and blessings!

        Prayers, please, for Chad, shot in the head in Falujah, hopefully soon
        stabilized enough to fly him to Germany and for his worried parents, who will fly
        to Germany as soon as they get word. His mother is praying there will be no
        brain damage. Prayers for the health care folks taking care of Chad, and those
        who care for all our prayer intention people spiritually or physically.
        Prayers, please for Gina - having risky surgery for a brain tumor tomorrow - and
        for Joseph, her young & frightened husband. He says that Gina spends her
        days praying for all the people who are praying for her.

        Prayers for Yossi's Mom, 90, physically weak but mentally sharp, in physical
        therapy after a health crisis, for his sister, Mary Beth, initial stages of
        Alzheimer's and mourning her recent loss of her husband of 19 years, and for
        his sister, Sue, 62, who has undertaken primary responsibility for the car of
        both her Mom and sister, a lot on her hands. Prayers for Jan, Kathy, Nikki,
        Theresa and Roberta, health aides helping care for her Mom and sister.
        Prayers for all the members of the family who are not helping, too. Prayers for
        Ann, bedridden, dementia, and for her daughter, Mary Ellen and all their family.
        Prayers for Pat, dying of emphysema and leukemia, and for her daughter, Judy
        and all their family. Prayers for C., suspicious mole, family history of
        melanoma, seeing a dermatologist next month. Prayers for David, just applied for
        his dream job at a hospital, and for his grandmother, Margaret, who may
        have cancer.

        Prayers for Camille, a young woman recently diagnosed with MS after a
        suicide attempt. She also broke her engagement, in belief that pregnancy will leave
        her paralyzed, and her fiance refuses to think of adoption. Potentially
        violent situation too. Prayers for a woman in her late 80s, dying very slowly &
        agonizingly of cancer, and her utterly devoted 60ish son. His partner died a
        couple of years ago, and he is alone very heroically trying to cope with
        this.

        Prayers for Kathleen, 4 part-time jobs still won't cover all her rent and
        bills and facing possible eviction. Fruitless long search for a full-time job
        and some scary health problems, too. No income till 10/15 and trying to accept
        the will of God. Lord, help us as You know and will. God's will is best. All
[...]

        Empire quivering in fear at His feet by a mere snap of His fingers or
        less! But did He...? Nope. The way to the Throne above all thrones
        was the Cross, it was spittle and hatred and whipping and nails and
        thorns. Sorry, beloveds, it doesn't look like upward mobility and power-
        grasping to me.

        However, in the truest sense, it was both. In that paradox of inverse
        climbing
        mystery, Jesus went upwardly mobile beyond any human dreams, with a
        power over all that was absolute and real, because it was humble.
        That is His alone, and none may aspire to it, but He tells all of us
        the way up is to be little, humble, accounted as nothing.

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 24, 2007

          Usually when I do a Deo gratias for an addict, sexual or otherwise, I add an intention for all the others who suffer. I forgot to do that and now amend my mistake. Prayers, please, for all sexual addicts, indeed, for all who suffer from any addiction. Every triumph is a gift and grace from God. May He fill them all with His grace as they bravely struggle to recover.

          Prayers, please, for Br. Finbar of Pluscarden, on his feastday.

          Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of the following, and for all their loved ones and al who mourn them:

          Dorothy, who died last week. May she and her husband and son who preceded her in death now be in the arms of God.

          Paddy, who died of cancer and pnemonia, and for his wife, Jenny and their two children and two grandchildren.

          Kathy, killed in a head-on collision, and especially for her family members Chuck, and the adult children of Elizabeth and Daniel, also for the driver of the other car, who is hospitalized.

          Prayers for the spiritual, physical and mental health of the following, for all their loved ones and all who treat them:

          Noelene, difficulty with a new medication regimen.

          Ann's daughters, one has pneumonia and the other is having problems with her internship at work, Prayers, too, for a safe and successful trip for Ann, who will be going on important business in a place unknown to her. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

          struggle to nearly zero by doing the exact opposite of what God intends us
[...]

          climbing mystery, Jesus went upwardly mobile beyond any human dreams,