Holy Rule for Sept. 18

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 18, 2005

      Prayers, please, for Allison, hiatal hernia surgery tomorrow and having fears about anesthesia. Many of us can no doubt relate to those fears. Let us pray for a calm and trusting patient, a successful surgery and rapid healing. Prayers for D. and T. and all who suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder and for all the mentally ill. Those who pray the rosary might find it a helpful reminder to always pray for the mentally ill during the second Sorrowful Mystery, the Crowning with Thorns, since their likeness to our Lord in this matter is not slight. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      In the first place, to love the Lord God with the whole heart, the
      whole soul, the whole strength.
      Then, one's neighbor as oneself.
      Then not to murder.
      Not to commit adultery.
      Not to steal.
      Not to covet.
      Not to bear false witness.
      To honor all (1 Peter 2:17).
      And not to do to another what one would not have done to oneself.
      To deny oneself in order to follow Christ.
      To chastise the body.
      Not to become attached to pleasures.
      To love fasting.
      To relieve the poor.
      To clothe the naked.
      To visit the sick.
      To bury the dead.
      To help in trouble.
      To console the sorrowing.
      To become a stranger to the world's ways.
      To prefer nothing to the love of Christ.

      REFLECTION

      The Commandments are here, but so are some of the works of mercy,
      both spiritual and corporal: clothing the naked, relieving the poor,
      visiting the sick, burying the dead, helping in trouble and consoling
      the sorrowing. It is no accident that the works undertaken by
      monasteries were most often those involving spiritual or corporal
      works of mercy.

      Mercy is God's greatest attribute. Its links with love make it an
      attribute we can easily follow in our dealings with others,
      conforming ourselves more and more to the image of Christ. When the
      Father looks at us, He delights to see the image of His Son brought
      to life in us. Nothing can bring that image into sharper focus than
      works of mercy every day, continually throughout our lives.

      Many works of mercy can be given freely, but never forget that some
      do works of mercy for a living. I used to think nursing didn't count
      because I got paid for it. Then one day, it dawned on me that there
      were plenty of people you couldn't PAY to nurse someone! No, the
      teacher, the gravedigger, the nurse and anyone else who does such
      works of mercy as an occupation are still graced!

      The works of mercy can be words, deeds, or prayers. They seek to
      alleviate pain or prevent it. Remember those spiritual works of
      mercy, like counseling the doubtful or enlightening the ignorant,
      praying for the living and dead. You don't have to run an almonry or
      work in one to do works of mercy.

      The chances are everywhere and often no more dramatic than
      offering to get a swamped co-worker a cup of coffee. They are often just
      such little things, but that makes them easier to hide and do without fanfare.
      They are little things of love and therein lies their greatness and their
      Christ-like splendor! Courtesy, simple courtesy is extraordinary in
      our world today because it is so often neglected. The chances there
      for a word of mercy or a kind gesture are abundant. Anyone who drives
      a car has ample chances for such mercy on every trip!

      Never let a day go by without doing works of mercy. Never. If you are
      already in bed and examining your conscience when you realize you
      have missed a day, there is still time to pray for the dying, to pray
      for the living and dead. We have no excuse for missing a day and
      there is so much good at stake, good placed near our own hands. Don't
      miss that wonderful chance! An don't be surprised to find that works
      of mercy change YOU as much as they do others. Little by little we
      become more of Christ!

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 17, 2006

        Prayer requests with Prayer in subject to: _brjeromeleo@..._
        (mailto:brjeromeleo@...) Please do not hit reply to Holy Rule posts, as Yahoo thinks
        it is spam and I have been unable to convince them otherwise. Sigh...

        Prayers, please, for Jacob, teen just diagnosed with cancer and for his
        worried parents and all his family. Prayers for Brian, wrongly accused at work
        and still trying to save his job. Prayers for David, young and anxious to leave
        home, but really needing to get an education and some career goals, and for
        his worried Mom. Prayers for Audrey, who took her own life. She seems not to
        have been a Christian, but she did a tremendous amount of good for others and
        no one knows why she took this terrible step. Prayers for her happy death,
        full embrace of the Divine Mercy of Jesus and for her eternal rest and for all
        those who mourn her. Prayers for Barb, a knee injury wound up showing a
        hairline fracture of the femur. She is now being tested for osteoporosis. Prayers
        for the happy death and eternal rest of Sr. Leonella, 66, and her bodyguard,
        both shot to death in front of the hospital where she works in Mogadishu.
        Apparently most Western foreigners now travel with bodyguards there. Lord, help
        us as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 17, 2007

          Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for Victoria, safely home from her trip to Scotland and a good visit with her Dad.

          Prayers for the physical, spiritual and mental health of the following, for all teir loved ones and for all who treat or care for them:

          Andy, 23, alcoholic and a domestic violence threat to his girlfriend and infant son, also prayers that mother and child get into a safe place or shelter, and for Andy's worried Dad and family.

          Stacey, for the gift of faith and a valid marriage, also for her brother-in-law, Tony, who is trying to help.

          Mary, an elderly woman in a terrible car accidnt, ead injury, in ICU.

          Gilda, 70% blockage of main artery, a stent will be necessary.

          Sue, agressive breast cancer, double mastectomy and reconstruction cheduled.

          Marialyce and her two sick cats, Sparky, diabetic and pancreatic cancer, Fanciface, GI problems.

          Marie, 80's cardiac problems.

          David and his family.

          Annie, cancer surgery.

          Bernice, nervous about a pending throat problem.

          For all those serving in Iraq, and for all in harm's way there.

          Dawn, severe breast cancer, and David, her husband. Mastectomy and reconstruction this week.

          Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him. Thanks so much. JL