Holy Rule for Sept. 16

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 16, 2005

      Prayers, please, for Irene, 39 years in an unhappy marriage, depressed, she fears she has lost her faith and her husband is opposed to God and religious matters. Prayers for the happy death eternal rest of Sister Mary Terence, of Ferdinand, Indiana, who has died. Prayers for Fr. Dick, pancreatic cancer has returned after some months in remission, seeing an oncologist for treatment options. Prayers, too, for Sandy, in remission from multiple myeloma and resuming classes to complete a Masters in Pastoral Studies. Prayers for a gathering of Bishops in the western U.S. and for the matters they have at hand. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      Whenever any important business has to be done
      in the monastery,
      let the Abbot call together the whole community
      and state the matter to be acted upon.
      Then, having heard the brethren's advice,
      let him turn the matter over in his own mind
      and do what he shall judge to be most expedient.
      The reason we have said that all should be called for counsel
      is that the Lord often reveals to the younger what is best.

      Let the brethren give their advice
      with all the deference required by humility,
      and not presume stubbornly to defend their opinions;
      but let the decision rather depend on the Abbot's judgment,
      and all submit to whatever he shall decide for their welfare.

      However, just as it is proper
      for the disciples to obey their master,
      so also it is his function
      to dispose all things with prudence and justice.

      REFLECTION

      Benedictine government is not pure democracy, but it is a lot more
      representative than Church government in its time or, for that
      matter, our own. One wishes that both Church and state of today had a
      more Benedictine flavor!

      The Catholic Church actually had models in its early years that were
      MORE democratic than St. Benedict, the synagogue model and the
      charismatic, both more congregational in their aspects. Both were
      abandoned for the monarchial episcopate model connected with Antioch.
      The bishop became monarch and so it has largely remained. That model
      fell far below the Benedictine standard of at least consultative
      democracy.

      Over 15 centuries of Benedictine history, constitutions have divided
      the powers of abbot and community more specifically. There are times-
      not many, to be sure- when a chapter CAN thwart an abbot. There are
      times the abbot cannot act alone. But, by and large, our superiors
      have been left with a lot more power than the US President or the
      Queen of the United Kingdom, but less power than the average bishop.

      The way of St. Benedict is hardly mob rule, but it does ensure a
      voice to those governed, a voice that must be listened to, even when
      it is not definitive. How different the current scandals in the
      US might be if people only had as much voice as the Holy Rule allows.
      How clearly St. Benedict saw what would happen to a community in such
      an instance: the members would feel ripped off, and rightly so. Very
      important things had come to light, and the rank and file were left
      in the dark. Trust was violated and trust is the very foundation of
      community.

      There is no way at all that the world was ready for pure democracy in
      St. Benedict's time, in diocese or monastery. Large majorities of the
      populace were illiterate, few indeed were educated, and there were no
      means of mass communication. Whole empires, like the Aztec and Incan,
      rose without the slightest awareness that there were other people on
      the planet, nor was the rest of the world aware of them. I would be
      the last person to call for free elections in such a milieu. By
      contrast, it almost makes feudalism look like a really good idea for
      the times.

      And maybe it was, but it has ceased to be for our own time. There are
      clearly levels of education, communication and general ability in the
      population today that call for more participation, not less. Tough
      saying, but St. Benedict was writing for a society whose rank and
      file was largely full of uncouth rustics. True, they got a lot of their rough
      edges honed down in the monastic setting, but they were not as
      capable of contributing to decision-making as people are today.

      I am not writing this with an axe to grind, saying that the Church
      and world should follow the Benedictine model. (Though that would
      certainly be my personal wish.) What I am trying to point out is the
      perennial wealth and freshness to be found in St. Benedict's Holy
      Rule. Its wisdom is as germane today as it was 1,500 years ago. It
      bears the proud hallmark of both truth and wisdom: it is ageless.

      In Church and State, the people of the developed world are ready,
      willing, and quite capable of having a lot more say than antiquated
      standards have allowed them. No wonder the powers that be are
      terrified of that.

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 15, 2006

        Prayers for Dot, just beginning her teaching ministry in her Church. Prayers
        for Agatha, debilitating stroke last year, now refusing to eat, hospice is
        getting involved, last rites have been given. Prayers for her happy death, if
        God wants her now, and for all her family, especially her nephew, Stephen, who
        asked prayers for her. Prayers for Nanette, her transmission broke down 15
        miles from the nearest town in Wyoming, now she must get the car towed to
        another town for the work to be done. Prayers for her and mercy for what all this
        will cost. Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Katie J., who has
        gone to God, and for her family and all who mourn her. Lord, help us all as
[...]

        matter, our own. One sometimes wishes that both Church and state
        of today had a more Benedictine flavor!

        The Catholic Church actually had models in its early years that were
        MORE democratic than St. Benedict, the synagogue model and the
        charismatic, both more congregational in their aspects. Both were
        abandoned for the monarchial episcopate model connected with Antioch.

        Over 15 centuries of Benedictine history, constitutions have divided
        the powers of abbot and community more specifically. There are times-
        not many, to be sure- when a chapter can thwart an abbot. There are
        times the abbot cannot act alone. But, by and large, our superiors
        have been left with a lot more power than the US President or the
        Queen of the United Kingdom, but less power than the average bishop.

        The way of St. Benedict is hardly mob rule, but it does ensure a
        voice to those governed, a voice that must be listened to, even when
        it is not definitive. How clearly St. Benedict saw what would happen to
        a community with no voice: the members would feel ripped off, and rightly
        so.

        There is no way at all that the world was ready for pure democracy in
        St. Benedict's time. The majority of the populace was illiterate, few
        indeed were educated, and there were no means of mass communication.
        Whole empires, like the Aztec and Incan, rose without the slightest
        awareness that there were other people on the planet, nor was the rest
        of the world aware of them. I would be the last person to call for free
        elections in such a milieu. By contrast, it almost makes feudalism look like
        a really good idea for the times.

        And maybe it was, but it has ceased to be for our own time. There are
        clearly levels of education, communication and general ability in the
        population today that call for more participation, not less. Tough
        saying, but St. Benedict was writing for a society whose rank and
        file was largely full of uncouth rustics. True, they got a lot of their rough
        edges honed down in the monastic setting, but they were not as
        capable of contributing to decision-making as people are today.

        I am not writing this with an axe to grind, saying that the world should

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 15, 2007

          Prayers, please, for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their families and all who treat or care for them:

          Fr. Robert, had a stroke, but still able to speak, and for Babrbara, his spiritual daughter.

          Nadeem and Laura, entering the initial Oblate formation at St. Vincent's Archabbey, Latrobe, PA

          Fr. Rudy, in his 40's, on life support after a brain aneurysm last Sunday.

          Lawrence, 15, brain clot and ICU after going through the windshield in a car accident, and for the other four teens injured with him.

          Peg, major depressive episode. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him. Thanks so much. JL