Holy Rule for Sept. 8

    Message 1 of 269 , Sep 8, 2005
      +PAX

      [I mistakenly titled yesterday's post "Sept. 8", though it was really the 7th. Mea culpa...]

      Prayers, for our monastery, St. Mary's, on our patronal feast, especially for more vocations. A happy birthday of the Mother of God to all!

      Prayers, please, for Gary, who died of liver cancer, only a week after diagnosis, and for his 80 year old Mom and a good friend, Lori, who survive him. Prayers for Ted, an older fellow who is facing some tough questions for the first time in his life over some family problems. Prayers for Mary Lou, beginning her ministry in spiritual direction, and for all those she will serve and help. Holy Spirit, be their Guide- and ours! Continued prayers for all in Katrina's path, especially those in flooded areas. The water-borne illnesses they have been exposed to often have incubation periods of several weeks, and could even be fatal in the very young, the elderly and the immune-compromised. We have only seen the tip of the iceberg. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      January 8, May 9, September 8
      Chapter 1: On the Kinds of Monks

      It is well known that there are four kinds of monks.
      The first kind are the Cenobites:
      those who live in monasteries
      and serve under a rule and an Abbot.

      The second kind are the Anchorites or Hermits:
      those who,
      no longer in the first fervor of their reformation,
      but after long probation in a monastery,
      having learned by the help of many brethren
      how to fight against the devil,
      go out well armed from the ranks of the community
      to the solitary combat of the desert.
      They are able now,
      with no help save from God,
      to fight single-handed against the vices of the flesh
      and their own evil thoughts.

      The third kind of monks, a detestable kind, are the Sarabaites.
      These, not having been tested,
      as gold in the furnace (Wis. 3:6),
      by any rule or by the lessons of experience,
      are as soft as lead.
      In their works they still keep faith with the world,
      so that their tonsure marks them as liars before God.
      They live in twos or threes, or even singly,
      without a shepherd,
      in their own sheepfolds and not in the Lord's.
      Their law is the desire for self-gratification:
      whatever enters their mind or appeals to them,
      that they call holy;
      what they dislike, they regard as unlawful.

      The fourth kind of monks are those called Gyrovagues.
      These spend their whole lives tramping from province to province,
      staying as guests in different monasteries
      for three or four days at a time.
      Always on the move, with no stability,
      they indulge their own wills
      and succumb to the allurements of gluttony,
      and are in every way worse than the Sarabaites.
      Of the miserable conduct of all such
      it is better to be silent than to speak.

      Passing these over, therefore,
      let us proceed, with God's help,
      to lay down a rule for the strongest kind of monks,the Cenobites.

      REFLECTION:

      First off, and briefly, there can be flaws in ANY kind of monastic, even the
      cenobites and anchorites of whom St. Benedict writes so fondly. The anchorite
      can sometimes be tempted to use solitude as an excuse for not doing good things
      when solitude has little or nothing to do with the real, selfish reason. The
      cenobite can shift focus to the community, or to its works ("We've got a school
      [or retreat center, or hospital, or whatever...] to run here!") in such a way
      that the primary search for God gets lost, along with the necessary examination
      and self-reformation. The family Oblate can go overboard on demanding too much
      solitude and the truly solitary single Oblate can neglect family for the wrong
      reasons. There is always balance needed, always. It will be our lifelong
      struggle.

      I have said before that all four kinds of monastic can quite unfortunately (and
      stubbornly!) exist in all our hearts and usually do so!
      That is very true, but today I would like to focus on the latter two unlovelies:
      the Sarabaites and the Gyrovagues. Telling phrases in the description of both
      point very clearly to all of us living in the developed Western world, whether
      in cloister or not, and particularly to those of us in the U.S., alas. I
      apologize to any of our international members for whom these problems are either
      non-existent or minimal, but I think there is something important to look at
      here.

      OK, beloveds, take off those terribly clouded lenses of consumerism and put on a
      brand new prescription of reality glasses and read carefully again. Check out
      some of the phrases in question and ask your heart deeply and honestly how your
      Benedictine commitment comes into play in these areas. We are used to reading
      about these undesirable monks as the others, let us bravely look at the ways
      they are ourselves.

      Those nasty Sarabaite parts of our hearts and wills "are as soft as lead" and
      "still keep faith with the world" in their works. This tragically marks those
      parts of us as "liars before God." But thankfully, God is ALWAYS merciful and we
      can always keep trying, in fact we must keep trying: conversion of manners here!
      How often do we surrender and bend to human respect or status? How often is our
      religion one thing, and the rest of modern life conveniently under another
      umbrella, as if more than one Gospel existed? Do we sell out to trends or
      popular opinions too easily? Do we let our counter-witness to the bad sense of
      the world be obliterated by embarrassed silence?

      Remember that Scripture speaks of the world in two ways. One sense is the good
      world, created by God as good and for the good of all, the creation we are bound
      to love and cherish because God did so first. The other is the false world, the
      one I am writing about here, the one which lies to us and leads us astray, the
      secular values that have idols and the self as their gods. Not for nothing did
      Jesus call Satan the father of lies and the prince of this world.

      Ah, and those slimy Gyrovague parts of us, which our holy Father Benedict terms
      "in every way worse than the Sarabaites." Now here is a ripe field to harvest
      some info about our levels of consumerism! "They indulge their own wills and
      succumb to the allurements of gluttony." Whoops! I've done them both a time or
      two. How about you? Over consumption of food or material goods, one or both
      can easily attack us all and usually can be relied upon to do just that!!

      Out-of-control consumerism is a lie, a false view of reality. Jesus, Who is our
      goal, is the Truth, the complete opposite of every falsehood. Ridiculous levels
      of consumption and self-gratification are wrong, not only because they hurt us,
      but because they hurt others, too. They destroy the balance of common good for
      which God created the world to serve all people.

      In the US (and many other Western nations,) the "bargains" which tickle our fancy
      have surely, without a doubt, come at high cost to some one else, often in the Third
      World, often the weakest and poorest. They also contribute to the unjust shifting of
      wealth to the top few, since even bargains are sold with profit in mind, lots of it, and
      not for those who work hardest.

      Look, we need a certain amount of goods. Even St. Thomas Aquinas said a certain
      amount of goods were necessary to work out our salvation. (Severe lacks would
      mean we would, perforce, have to focus on simple survival, to work so hard to
      stay alive that the spirit would be decidedly underfed.) But, as Christians and
      as Benedictines, we need goods in moderation, in just and accurate levels which
      truly accord to our state in life. This is by no means an argument against ALL
      possessions, especially not for Oblates in the world. It is an attempt to see
      through the clearer lens of truth, of Jesus, of simplicity.

      How many times do we hear simplicity described as "elegant." It often is. Real
      elegance, however, has an intrinsic relation to Beauty and Beauty to Truth, and
      the ultimate standard of Beauty and Truth is Christ. The idea behind a simpler
      lifestyle is NOT penance, but a closer approximation of yet another piece of the
      wondrous Divine Puzzle which is our God. Every single time we
      mirror truth, we mirror Christ. it is really that simple!

      Message 269 of 269 , Sep 7, 2016

        +PAX

        Thanks so very much to all who offered prayers and get well wishes. Please note that I am on absolute voice rest till Sept. 8, and cannot return phone messages till that evening. I have tried to acknowledge everyone’s e mails and Facebook greetings, if I have missed you, forgive me, there were a lot of messages and I may have missed someone. I am deeply grateful for ALL of you and your kind prayers.! Prayers for my biopsy results, please. They removed two growths from my vocal chords. I have been doing well since surgery, thanks be to God.  Love, Br. Jerome

        A blessed Birthday of the Blessed Virgin Mary to all, it is a solemnity here, because it is the patronal feast of St. Mary's Monastery. Prayers, please, for all of us at St. Mary's, prayers for vocations. May God and His Mother bless us with many more vocations and many graces to carry them through.

        Deo gratias and prayers of thanks, B does not have diverticulitis, it is irritable bowel syndrome, a much less severe disorder. Continued praying for her health and recovery, please.

        Prayers for Theresa and Granger, celebrating their 46th wedding anniversary, graces galore and many more!

        Prayers for Michael, a seminarian. He has joined another group, prayers that he sees the will of God truly and follows it fully.

        Please pray for healing for Charlotte, undergoing double mastectomy, and for her quick recovery. For her to have  strength to endure all that's ahead of her. And for her husband and children.

        Please pray for Maan  A., for her ACT exams on Saturday, September  10 as preparation for her college studies.

        + + + One reader has complained of receiving reflections that were chopped off, incomplete. I don’t know why this would be happening, but please let me know if it is happening to you, too. Not sure what I can do, but I will try.  + + +

        and gace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        there is something important to look at here. We are used to reading about these
        undesirable monks as the others, let us bravely look at the ways
        they are ourselves.

        Those nasty Sarabaite parts of our hearts and wills "are as soft as
        lead" and "still keep faith with the world" in their works. This
        tragically marks those parts of us as "liars before God." But
        thankfully, God is ALWAYS merciful and we can always keep trying,
        in fact we must keep trying: conversion of manners here! How often
        do we surrender and bend to human respect or status? How often is
        our religion one thing, and the rest of modern life "conveniently"

        another, as if more than one Gospel existed? Do we
[...]

        tickle our fancy have often, without a doubt, come at high cost to
        someone else, often in the Third World, often the weakest and
        poorest. They also contribute to the unjust shifting of wealth to
        the top few, since even bargains are sold with profit in mind, lots
        of it, and not for those who work hardest.

        Look, we need a certain amount of goods. Even St. Thomas Aquinas
        said a certain amount of goods were necessary to us. (Severe
        lacks would mean we would, perforce, have to focus on simple
        survival, to work so hard to stay alive that the spirit would be
        decidedly underfed.) But, as Christians and as Benedictines, we
        need goods in moderation, in just and accurate levels which truly
        accord to our state in life. This is by no means an argument
        against ALL possessions, especially not for Oblates in the world.
        It is an attempt to see through the clearer lens of truth, of Jesus,
        of simplicity.

        How many times do we hear simplicity described as "elegant." It
        often is. Real elegance, however, has an intrinsic relation to
        Beauty and Beauty to Truth, and the ultimate standard of Beauty and
        Truth is Christ. Behind a simpler lifestyle is a closer approximation of yet another piece of the