Feb 6

  • russophile2002 <jeromeleo@earthlink.net>
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2003

      Please forgive me for missing yesterday! Terminal writer's block!

      Continued prayers for Linda, stem cell transplant for leukemia. The
      first 100 days are critical. Prayers also for the health and finances
      of Fr. Brendan-Benedict.

      Also, today especially, pray for peace. Pray for the miracle that
      Saddam will leave and war be averted. Thanks!
      NRN JL

      The ninth degree of humility
      not speaking until he is questioned.
      For the Scripture shows

      One person can open their mouth with a skunk-at-a-garden-party type
      remark and ruin the wonderful day a lot of others are having. One
      person can change things for ill, put a damper on everything with
      their uncontrolled mouth. Think of the times you have seen this
      happen and weigh carefully how many of those remarks could have been
      left entirely unspoken. Probably all of them could have been
      foresworn.

      Now, and hopefully there will not be much of a harvest here, think of
      the times YOU have been the skunk in question. Sigh... I know I have.
      I also know I have suffered skunks, and knowing how it felt makes me
      twice as guilty for inflicting it on others! Beloveds, for the love
      of God, we must often shut up!

      Why do we open our mouths to such discourse? It can only be from
      either (God forbid,) a deliberate desire to hurt or from a mistaken
      notion that we are vastly closer to being the center of the universe
      than others might think! Both are wicked. Humility, that intertwined
      wonder, is about silence, too. Love, faith, mercy, trust, obedience,
      silence! The higher we go on the ladder of humility the more we
      realize how truly central to all holiness it is. Without this ascent
      we are less than nothing at all!