Holy Rule for August 28

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 28, 2005

      Prayers, please, for James, vexing troubles with his student loan. Prayers for all following the Rule of Saint Augustine of Hippo, on his feast day. Prayers for all suffering from the unusually high numbers of natural disasters in Europe this summer, floods, fires and drought. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      April 28, August 28, December 28
      Chapter 70: That No One Venture to Punish at Random

      Every occasion of presumption
      shall be avoided in the monastery,
      and we decree that no one be allowed
      to excommunicate or to strike any of her sisters
      unless the Abbess has given her the authority.
      Those who offend in this matter
      shall be rebuked in the presence of all,
      that the rest may have fear.

      But children up to 15 years of age
      shall be carefully controlled and watched by all,
      yet this too with all moderation and discretion.
      All, therefore, who presume
      without the Abbess' instructions
      to punish those above that age
      or who lose their temper with them,
      shall undergo the discipline of the Rule;
      for it is written,
      "Do not to another what you would not want done to yourself" (Tobias
      4:16).

      REFLECTION

      "Every occasion of presumption shall be avoided in the monastery."
      This is about a lot more than saying who can punish whom. This is
      pointing out that, whenever there are more than one to be considered,
      absolute freedom cannot exist. This is about central authority, yes,
      but it is also about the total way one conducts oneself in a home or
      workplace or planet that others share.

      Ever think about your first home away from your parents house? It was
      probably different in a lot of ways, especially if you lived there
      alone. Heady freedom that! I recall my own first place very well and
      fondly. However, I can assure you, I could not have lived as I did
      there had I been in a family, with younger siblings at home. (OK, it
      was 1969, so go figure...) Even alone, however, I was not free to
      play my stereo at undue volumes at 3 AM. We live on a common planet,
      at some point ALL of our lives touch others. When they do, control of
      some sort is necessary if people are to live in peace.

      There is a great and treacherous myth of individualism among
      Americans and, to a lesser extent, I think, among all Western
      European cultures. Consumerism and secularism at levels which
      are dangerously opposed to religion promote this fallacy at every
      turn. The lie is sold that one can be happy, even happiest, without
      Christ, without religion. Even Christians subconsciously buy into more
      of this nonsense than they often realize. This baggage sneaks up
      on us in very subtle ways. We must be equally mindful and cautious
      to perceive it!

      Non-western cultures often have a much more highly
      developed sense of sharing and commonality. The stresses of profit
      and production are incongruous to many a more pristine culture.
      The self is less exalted than the common good and the common good
      seems to be more readily available to all. Face it, when the Amazon
      hunters come home, the elderly eat as well as anyone else.

      Schweitzer pointed out that Europeans found the Africans lazy,
      because they would not work to a point of exhaustion without need.
      They worked all right, but when the work was done, they quit. They
      had a casual and natural attitude to work, proper to their own
      economic system, that drove the Europeans nuts, because the latter
      had more of a 40-hours-a-week-and-then-you-rest notion. Both
      Schweitzer and I tend to side with the natives on this one!

      That myth of total freedom, of self-sufficiency being able to buy one
      the right to any activity is totally wrong. Even at 20, in my richly
      bohemian digs that I called "Shackri-la", I was not totally free. I
      didn't know it back then, but I wasn't. I had no right to waste water
      or leave lights on all night or drive drunk. My fantasy might have
      been chronologically appropriate as Haight-Ashbury in San Francisco,
      but hey, even there, even then, people were not free in any absolute
      sense. None of us are.

      Every presumed domain of our control which exists on a planet shared by
      billions is just that: presumption, of which "every occasion shall be
      avoided." No one of us is an island. Our complete interdependence is
      not only objective fact, it is our only hope.

      You might never have read this chapter as an ad for ecological
      consciousness, but look at the first line again. We are ALWAYS in
      this with others and that always means responsibilities to "...not do
      to another what one would not have done to oneself."

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 27, 2006

        Send prayer requests to _brjeromeleo@..._ (mailto:brjeromeleo@...)
        and include Prayer in the subject, please. Thanks so much!

        Prayers, please, for Donna, lumbar laminectomy this morning, and for the
        folks caring for her and all those who care for our prayer intentions people.
        May God guide their hands and hearts! Prayers for Michael (not our Michael who
        just filled in for me,) seeking job which he badly wants, and for Janet, in
        her last days with pancreatic cancer, for her happy death and eternal rest and
        for all those who love her. Prayers for Melissa, sister of our Brother
        Dominic, due to deliver a baby boy any day now, for her husband and all her family
        and for a safe and blessed birth! Prayers for Shirley, who is dying, may she
        accept Christ and have a happy death, may she embrace His Divine Mercy fully,
        also for Kath, asthma and heart problems and for Glen alcohol and drug
        dependency problems. Prayers for one struggling very bravely with a problem I
        cannot reveal. If you knew as I do, you'd pray twice as hard for this individual
        trying so hard to do God's will. Prayer for the happy death of Jim and his
        eternal rest after a long battle with a terrible illness, and prayers for his
        wife and family and all who mourn him. Prayers for M.C., who was fired
        yesterday and has a family to support, VERY tough time with his company. Lord, help
        us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God