Feb 1

  • russophile2002 <jeromeleo@earthlink.net>
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2003

      Continuing prayers for Linda, wiped out and with no immune system
      after chemo for leukemia. Thanks so much! NRN
      JL

      The fourth degree of humility
      and contradictions
      and even any kind of injustice,
      For the Scripture says,
      "The one who perseveres to the end,
      and again

      And to show how those who are faithful
      8:36).
      they go on with joy to declare,
      "But in all these trials we conquer,
      "You have tested us, O God;
      You have brought us into a snare;
      it goes on to say,

      Moreover, by their patience
      in adversities and injuries:
      when forced to go a mile, they go two;

      Anyone who is beginning to get a bit befuddled by all these
      connections to humility is more than entitled to be so! Wait a
      minute, humility equals obedience and obedience must be completely
      linked to love and faith and it ALL has to be done with patience???
      Phew! What an order! There's more to this than meets the eye!

      It can get one rather out of breath if one looks at this too closely,
      as merely an exposition on humility. It is that, but it is more than
      that, too. Obedient, meek, humble, loving, patient, long-suffering.
      Sound familiar? Beloveds, the Holy Rule is painting an icon of
      Christ, Whose image we bear, but Whose likeness we have lost. That is
      the image we are to paint with our lives, to etch in our hearts. That
      is the sculpture which we, Pygmalioneque, must bring to life in
      hearts of flesh, not granite. That image of Christ is what the whole
      megillah is about!

      White gesso must cover board, then be completely covered itself to
      write an icon. Lots of really brutal chiseling precedes the delicate
      softness of a marble Pieta. Obedience, humility, faith, love,
      patience, sacrifice. We are talking very real deaths here. Granted,
      their goal is life to the fullest, but deaths nonetheless!

      We dare not diminish any of these qualities to the point of being no
      big deal, of causing us little trouble. That defeats their whole
      purpose, that inoculates their ability to transform radically, quite
      literally at the root!