Holy Rule for July 28

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 28, 2005
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for Doug, the kidney/spleen transplant for whom we prayed. Both organs seem OK, but he has some internal bleeding that is going to have to be fixed, also for Mary B., readmitted to the hospital after a brief respite and sinking health, also for Monsignor Gallup, trouble with heart regulating device. Prayers for Catherine, as she seeks to become an Oblate, and for her health, too. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much! JL

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 27, 2007
        +PAX

        Prayers, please, for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following and for all their loved ones and those who treat them:

        Daniel, depression, also a crisis in faith.

        Catherine, hospitalized due to pot-op infections.

        Jual, on chemo while pregnant, but she and baby seem to be doing well, Deo gratias. Baby Harmon will be delivered by C-section on Aug. 6, then Jual will have radical mastectomies on both breast on the 8th, so continued prayers, please!

        Launetta, 95, in hospice now, for her happy death when God calls her and for her son, Fr. Paul.

        Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Bill, who has gone to God, and for all his family, especially his niece, Sr. Mary Joseph.

        Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL:

        March 28, July 28, November 27
        Chapter 48: On the Daily Manual Labor

        Idleness is the enemy of the soul.
        Therefore the sisters should be occupied
        at certain times in manual labor,
        and again at fixed hours in sacred reading.
        To that end
        we think that the times for each may be prescribed as follows.

        From Easter until the Calends of October,
        when they come out from Prime in the morning
        let them labor at whatever is necessary
        until about the fourth hour,
        and from the fourth hour until about the sixth
        let them apply themselves to reading.
        After the sixth hour,
        having left the table,
        let them rest on their beds in perfect silence;
        or if anyone may perhaps want to read,
        let her read to herself
        in such a way as not to disturb anyone else.
        Let None be said rather early,
        at the middle of the eighth hour,
        and let them again do what work has to be done until Vespers.

        And if the circumstances of the place or their poverty
        should require that they themselves
        do the work of gathering the harvest,
        let them not be discontented;
        for then are they truly monastics
        when they live by the labor of their hands,
        as did our Fathers and the Apostles.
        Let all things be done with moderation, however,
        for the sake of the faint-hearted.

        REFLECTION

        I offer this as further proof of St. Benedict's tenderness and
        gentleness: take a nap. OK, say the siesta is Italian and cultural.
        Fine, but there were plenty of cultural elements he didn't let
        through the monastery gate. It was a LOT hotter in Egypt and one
        doesn't hear the Fathers telling people to lie down and rest, much
        less saying that those who cannot sleep dare not wake those who can
        with their noisiness! This is a gentle Father we have!

        Surely moderation is one of the key elements woven throughout the
        Holy Rule, but isn't it at least worthy of note that it is stressed
        here, in the chapter on work? St. Benedict may not have had all the
        handy psychobabble terms that we use today to name things, but he had
        a piercingly clear perception of human nature.

        He knew that some people were workaholics and that their contemplative
        focus would be shattered by that. He knew some people were obsessive
        about trivia that didn't matter. He knew that some people were very
        loving caregivers who would turn into flaming doormats, abused by their own
        kindness and inability to say "No," politely, by their doubt that
        anything is ever enough. All these things can harm, not only prayer, but
        even our primary vocations themselves, marriage, parenthood, family or
        cloister!!

        So, he counters all that by saying: "Take a nap!" Hey, what a great
        reality check! Wake up, y'all, the world has an axis already and
        there is no need for you to duplicate services: it ain't spinning around
        you or your hyper-efforts! Take a nap! God will manage fine without
        you for an hour or so!

        St. Benedict certainly knows that many things are important, even
        essential and he is not at all shy about pointing them out. In the midst
        of all that, he says: "Take a nap!" If you can't nap, he doesn't even say "pray,"
        he tells the insomniac to read quietly and not to wake the nappers!!

        Look, we are known for our motto of pray and work, ora et labora. One
        might well assume that if you couldn't be working, you ought to at
        least be praying. Not so. Take a nap. Balance it out. Try pulling
        your arm out of a bucket of water and see what happens. Water closes
        right in, no problem. Much depends on us, but usually much less than
        we are prone to pridefully think! Take a nap!

        Our world around us will gladly and readily tell us that we are worth
        nothing other than our productivity, our work, our profitability. St.
        Benedict wants to be sure that when we come to his monastery, we see
        those distorted values of human dignity for the falsehoods they
        really are. He wants us to work, yes, but to see work in the deep
        humility of truth. A consumerist society has taught us the exact
        opposite of that and we all need to patiently spend lots of time
        peeling those scales from our eyes with the help of God and St.
        Benedict.

        Take a nap!

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 27, 2016
          +PAX

          Prayers for Joe, recovering from spinal surgery and now readmitted with a
          clot on his lung and a bowel obstruction. Prayers for his healing and for
          the spiritual welfare of both Joe and Peggy, his wife. Prayers, too, for
          Judy and all his siblings and family, for the health and spiritual welfare
          of them all.

          Prayers for Corey, stage five kidney failure, his kidneys are barely
          functioning, and for all his family.

          Prayers for Father Jim. Surgery was performed today, with removal of some of
          the clot by catheter. Still too much blood on the brain for a Cat Scan. He
          is currently intubated. Please pray for the fulfillment God's Perfect Will
          for him.

          Prayers for Raymond, a very sad case of combined bipolar disease, alcohol
          and drug addiction. Prayers for his spiritual and physical health and
          healing.

          Prayers for Bobbie, getting a dual chamber pacemaker implanted, and for her
          worried husband, Michael, and all their family.

          Prayers for Kevin, terminally ill and trying to prepare for a happy death,
          may he get all the grace he needs and all the Sacraments at the proper time.

          Chapter 48: On the Daily Manual Labor

          Idleness is the enemy of the soul.
          Therefore the sisters should be occupied
          at certain times in manual labor,
          and again at fixed hours in sacred reading.
          To that end
          we think that the times for each may be prescribed as follows.

          From Easter until the Calends of October,
[...]

          about trivia that didn't matter. He knew that some people would be abused by

          http://www.stmarysmonastery.org <http://www.stmarysmonastery.org/>