Holy Rule for July 22

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 22, 2005

      Prayers, please, for Denise, hospitalized with spinal meningitis, and for John, cancer, but also heart problems they are trying to relieve with a stent procedure. Prayers for Deisy, an honors student in college on scholarship. Came to this country from Mexico with an aunt when she was six. Now threatened with deportation because she is illegal, on the brink of her junior year. She has worked very hard to be a excellent student against terrible odds. Prayers for Danny, struck while riding his bike. No fractures, but unconscious with little brain activity showing, and for his family, hoping for a miracle. Prayers, too, for Andrew and his family. he is hospitalized and his family is praying to St. Gerard Majella for a miracle. Continued prayers for Ben and his family- an update when I know more myself- he did have his surgery yesterday but I don't know details. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      At the hour for the Divine Office,
      as soon as the signal is heard,
      let them abandon whatever they may have in hand
      and hasten with the greatest speed,
      yet with seriousness, so that there is no excuse for levity.
      Let nothing, therefore, be put before the Work of God.

      If at the Night Office
      anyone arrives after the "Glory be to the Father" of Psalm 94 --
      which Psalm for this reason we wish to be said
      very slowly and protractedly --
      let him not stand in his usual place in the choir;
      but let him stand last of all,
      or in a place set aside by the Abbot for such negligent ones
      in order that they may be seen by him and by all.
      He shall remain there until the Work of God has been completed,
      and then do penance by a public satisfaction.
      the reason why we have judged it fitting
      for them so stand in the last place or in a place apart
      is that,
      being seen by all,
      they may amend for very shame.
      For if they remain outside of the oratory,
      there will perhaps be someone who will go back to bed and sleep
      or at least seat himself outside and indulge in idle talk,
      and thus an occasion will be provided for the evil one.
      But let them go inside,
      that they many not lose the whole Office,
      and may amend for the future.

      At the day Hours
      anyone who does not arrive at the Work of God
      until after the verse
      and the "Glory be to the Father" for the first Psalm following it
      shall stand in the last place,
      according to our ruling above.
      Nor shall he presume to join the choir in their chanting
      until he has made satisfaction,
      unless the Abbot should pardon him and give him permission;
      but even then the offender must make satisfaction for his fault.

      REFLECTION

      First, an aside. The signal to get moving, whatever it may be, is
      usually a bell or something like it. Our modern age looks at any
      request or command we don't like as a time to start negotiations, not
      to obey. We may euphemize this with terms like "dialogue" but the
      bottom line is finding a graceful way to say either "Heck, NO!" or
      considerably less than "Yes!" or "OK, fine!" Bells, however, are
      inexorable and there is no point in arguing with them. Their stoic
      silence will win every time! It is worth remembering that, in the old
      days, the bell was known as the "vox Dei," the voice of God.

      As usual, there is a gem buried here that gets lost in the wash of
      being late or being on time or kneeling out or not. That treasure
      is: "Let nothing, therefore, be put before the Work of God." (Older
      translations had: "let nothing be preferred to the Work of God." This
      has usually been cited, quite rightly, a a basis for the centrality
      of liturgy in Benedictine life, but that is an incomplete view, one
      which leaves riches beyond telling unmined. The full sense of this
      goes well beyond liturgy. And FAR beyond musical fussiness about
      chant!

      For the monastic, EVERYTHING is in some way the work of God. ALL of
      God's will for us becomes a priority. That's what our commitment
      means. Monastic struggle sacralizes every jot and tittle. In one
      sense, there is no small stuff anymore. (That can be a trap for the
      scrupulous if over-applied, so watch out, folks!) The distinction
      between sacred and profane is all but obliterated. Our life is of a
      whole, and that holistic life is most often informed of God's wishes
      for us by obedience.

      That can require tremendous faith and trust in God, but God does
      reward such trust richly beyond our dreams. It is often best if one
      starts out as a novice with a real goofus for a novicemaster. This is
      helpful in several ways. For one thing, if you start out with a great
      novicemaster and encounter your first loser in charge in mid-life, it can be a
      terrible crisis. For another, when one looks back, one can see
      clearly (as hindsight so often does!) that ALL our treasure comes in
      earthen vessels, that even a less than optimal individual can often
      be a pipeline through which God's will flows unimpeded.

      Contemporary attempts by some to reduce all Benedictine obedience to
      a process of dialogue or negotiation, or to make it a communal
      affair or a consensual one are terribly far off the mark. The textual
      evidence of the Holy Rule, as well as historical and traditional
      evidence simply do not support such claims. The Rule speaks of
      dialogue only when one is commanded to do the impossible, and even
      then, if the superior insists, one must trust and obey. Tough saying,
      but obedience works best when it isn't a lot of fun... Consider
      the "merit" gained when I smile over an open carton of ice cream,
      heaping it into a bowl and say: "My doctor absolutely INSISTS that
      these meds be taken with food!"

      But back to priorities. Surely the Office comes first before lesser
      obediences. Being late because one finished something that could wait
      is a poor excuse, because it shows what is valued most- one's own
      will. On the other hand, when I was a teenager, my life was hell. I
      LOVED the Catholic high school I went to with deep gratitude, but
      there were many, many days when my emotional energy was so completely
      expended on just hanging on that there was nothing else I COULD put
      first. Showing up at all took all my energy, never mind early or
      late. It surely wasn't that I DIDN'T care, it was that I couldn't, I
      honestly had nothing left to care with. At times like this, it takes
      a careful and loving eye to perceptively see what's really going on
      before dumping punishment on one.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 22, 2006

        Pope Benedict XVI, asking Carmelite nuns to pray for the Middle East said: "Pray also for the terrorists, as they do not know that not only do they harm their neighbor, but above all they harm themselves." We must always remember to pray for those who actually commit the horrors (of any sort!) that we are praying about. God alone knows their hearts, God alone knows all the particulars, and so many completely omit praying for those they judge to be guilty or at fault. Judgement is not ours, but intercession for all in the world undeniably is!

        Prayers for Mother Rachel, whose home village in Lebanon was bombed, no news yet of her brother and all his family who live there. Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for Amy, for whom we prayed earlier, she has been safely delivered of a healthy (but early!) baby boy and both are doing well. Deo gratias, too, for Bob and his wife Teri, he remains in remission so far and for Mary Cate, the infant and surviving twin who has pneumonia. She is home now and her parents, Steve and Mary thank all for their prayers and ask continued prayers for the day to day business of dealing with the loss of their other twin daughter, Mary Rose, and caring for Mary Kate. Prayers for Warren, whose wife, Harriet is being buried today. We prayed for them both earlier. Prayers for Jon, bleeding of unknown origin continues and weakens him, and for his wife, Linda, struggling to let go and let God. Prayers for Brian's neighbor, 87, who died on her birthday, only 4 or 5 weeks after a cancer diagnosis. For her happy death and eternal rest and for all who mourn her. Lord, help us as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        earthen vessels, that even a far less than optimal individual can often
        be a pipeline through which God's will flows unimpeded. I am living proof
        of that!

        Contemporary attempts by some to reduce all Benedictine obedience to
        a process of dialogue or negotiation, or to make it a communal
        affair or a consensual one are terribly false and far off the mark. The textual

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 21, 2007

          Prayers fo thanks and Deo gratias for a very wonderful Oblate Day held here today!

          Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of the following, and for all their families and all who mourn them:

          Kate, and that her family may give her firends a way to memorialize her.

          William, 52, who died of cancer, and especially for his wife and 17 year old son.

          Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, and for all their families and those who treat or care for them:

          Infant Rebecca, suffering from seizures, cause unknown.

          Jim, having cataract surgery this Tuesday. Lord, help us allm as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL