Jan 29

  • russophile2002 <jeromeleo@earthlink.net>
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2003

      Prayers, please for Linda, last possible treatment for adult
      leukemia, terribly sick, but so far doing well. NRN JL

      We must be on our guard, therefore, against evil desires,
      for death lies close by the gate of pleasure.
      Hence the Scripture gives this command:
      "Go not after your concupiscences" (Eccles. 18:30).

      So therefore,
      since the eyes of the Lord observe the good and the evil (Prov. 15:3)
      and the Lord is always looking down from heaven
      on the children of earth
      "to see if there be anyone who understands and seeks God" (Ps. 13:2),
      and since our deeds are daily,
      day and night,
      reported to the Lord by the Angels assigned to us,
      we must constantly beware, brethren,
      as the Prophet says in the Psalm,
      lest at any time God see us falling into evil ways
      and becoming unprofitable (Ps. 13:3);
      and lest, having spared us for the present
      because in His kindness He awaits our reformation,
      He say to us in the future,
      "These things you did, and I held My peace" (Ps. 49:21).

      REFLECTION

      How on earth, except by denial, which doesn't work terribly well, do
      we remain on guard against evil desires? I have a handy acronym that
      a confessor once taught me as a way to catch the fact that one was
      vulnerable and should be especially careful: HALT. It stands for
      Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired. Check for those symptoms. If a few of
      them are present, be extra careful. If all of them are, big trouble
      can ensue!

      HALT works well for whatever your weakest point is, because that is
      where the tempter will hit you. Whether its slice of cheesecake, a
      stiff drink, a new coat or shoes or a handsome man or gorgeous woman,
      it doesn't matter! When you see HALT, that's what the next thing to
      assail you will likely be: your own personal thorn.

      When your hand is already on the refrigerator handle, the credit
      card, the bottle or the striking form of your newest romantic
      conquest, it may be too late, or almost so! No, the time to be
      watchful is BEFORE that extremity, to watch what precedes our falls
      and get busy sooner. That's why HALT comes in so handy, but we have
      to study ourselves a bit to use it well.

      A sneaky brand of inverse pride can assail us, beloveds. We, of ALL
      people, should never be prone to this or that vice. We, after all,
      are advanced and ABOVE such things.... Whoops! Wrong again! We are
      fleshly beings with feet of clay. We are not only prone to vices, we
      are LIKELY to fall. Thinking we are more special than the rest of
      humanity can be our undoing. It isn't all about us. If it were, Jesus
      whole life would have been utterly unnecessary- we could save
      ourselves!

      It is about grace and gift and mercy. Those and those alone can
      prevent falls. To cooperate with these boons, we need to create the
      best possible atmosphere for them to work in. That's where
      watchfulness comes in!