Holy Rule for July 9

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 9, 2005
      +PAX

      Prayers for Abbot Anselm, flying home today from London and a long absence on visitations in the Province, that all of us arrive home safe and sound from Boston and hopefully at least somewhat on time! Continued prayers for all in the UK after the terrorist attacks. Continued prayers for Abbot Laurence, still recuperating in Rome from his accident, but hoping to return to Ramsgate soon.

      Prayers for all Benedictines preparing to celebrate the Solemnity of our Holy Father Benedict on Monday: may it be a feast of great graces for all. We should always remember to pray for graces BEFORE a great feast, to prepare ourselves better than usual so that we may profit as much as possible from the day at hand! It is very true that the more one puts into a feast, the more one gets out of it. It is also true that, as Abbot Francis of St. Leo used to say: "The bigger the feast, the harder the devil works." Protecting ourselves and our communities with some prayers against that can only be a great idea! Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      March 9, July 9, November 8
      Chapter 31: What Kind of Man the Cellarer of the Monastery Should Be

      Above all things let him have humility;
      and if he has nothing else to give
      let him give a good word in answer
      for it is written,
      "A good word is above the best gift" (Eccles. 18:17).

      Let him have under his care
      all that the Abbot has assigned to him,
      but not presume to deal with what he has forbidden him.

      Let him give the brethren their appointed allowance of food
      without any arrogance or delay,
      that they may not be scandalized,
      mindful of the Word of God as to what he deserves
      "who shall scandalize one of the little ones" (Matt 18:6).

      If the community is a large one,
      let helpers be given him,
      that by their assistance
      he may fulfill with a quiet mind the office committed to him.
      The proper times should be observed
      in giving the things that have to be given
      and asking for the things that have to be asked for,
      that no one may be troubled or vexed in the house of God.

      REFLECTION

      Many would shrug at a chapter like this saying: "I'm not cellarer.
      What has that to do with me?" Everything, everything. This chapter,
      like those on the Abbot, is a masterful view of Benedictine authority
      and stewardship in any capacity. We should never presume to usurp
      roles that are not our own, but in covering those roles, the Holy
      Rule again and again gives models to ALL.

      I am guestmaster, not cellarer, but this chapter reminds me that no
      job is an empire, a turf, a personal fiefdom that one administers
      temperamentally and without love. Jobs, for Benedictines in world or
      monastery, are stewardships, not power trips. (At least that OUGHT to
      be true. God save us, it is often otherwise...) If people have to
      become so careful of a given official, wearing kid gloves at every
      possible turn, something is very, very wrong. Now the community is
      reduced to serving the official, when it is supposed to be the other
      way around!

      Of course, the needs of those who come to us at work or at home can
      be overwhelming, even oppressive at times, but we are told not to
      react to those buttons pushed, but to react with love and humility.
      Whatever your job is, the reality is that if there were none with
      needs, you would likely be unemployed. Always remember that. We
      serve, we do not rule. Our call is to forget ourselves in service,
      not to present our intransigent selves to be served.

      Our motto is Peace, because St. Benedict knew how completely
      essential to a fruitful monastic life inner peace was and is. That's
      why he gives this really rather astounding principle: "...no one may
      be troubled or vexed in the house of God." It's God's house, not
      ours. Wake up, folks, if the maid is giving orders tyrannically,
      something's wrong at the manor! It's not her house. It's His.

      A certain amount of vexation is inevitable, and part of the monastic
      struggle and very useful. A chronic, ulcerating source of repeated
      vexation is not. If that comes through an official, something must be
      done. If the numbers are too few to remove the official, then that's
      what the penal code chapters are all about. Cancers, real, malignant
      tumors on our peace are meant to be removed. If they are retained by
      a superior's blindness, the superior can become as harmful as the
      growth itself.

      We may have to endure that, circumstances being what they may,
      but it is helpful to at least know its dysfunctionality. Even that dysfunction can
      be used by God to bring good. God and God alone can bring good out
      of ANYTHING, even you and me! We are not in the hands of bad situations,
      we are in the hands of God, loving hands that never fail, if only we trust Him!

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 8, 2007
        +PAX

        Deo gratias for:

        Donald, able to go home today for three weeks, doing well with no side effects, continued prayers for his cancer treatment and for the movement of grace in his soul.

        The worried Mom we prayed for had a visit with her grown child that went very well. She thanks all for their prayers and says she could feel the prayers. Prayers for Rafi, he had his bank papers and ID stolen and they have not been retrieved, also for Ethel, his sister.

        Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of the following and for their families and all who mourn them:

        Debbie, murdered last week, a violent end to a life that was often difficult. Prayers, too, for her murderer's conversion.

        Molly, terminal cancer, very hopeful of being able to die at home, but there are some obstacles to be overcome for that to be possible.

        Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for their families and all who treat or care for them:

        Launetta, 96, possible broken hip and for her son, Fr. Paul.

        Marialyce, epidural on Tuesday, hopefully longer pain relief from this one.

        Donna, vascular surgery coming up.

        Dianne, second round of chemotherapy.

        Barbara, surgery this week, and for Mary, her daughter, very worried for her Mom.

        Another Barbara, recurrent esophageal problems require a second surgery.

[...]

        done. If one is unwilling to remove the official, then that's what the
        penal code chapters are all about.

        Cancers, real, malignant tumors on our peace ought to be removed. If they are retained by an authority figure's blindness, the one in charge can become as harmful as the growth itself.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 8, 2016
          +PAX

          Prayers for the eternal rest of Gerald, on the anniversary of his death,
          and for his wife and daughter and all who mourn him, Prayers, too, for the
          eternal rest of Andy, his son, who predeceased him.

          Prayers for a special intention for Barbara.

          Deo gratias and prayers of thanks, Fr. Fred has received the Sacraments,
          continued prayers for his happy death.

          Prayers for the spiritual and physical health of Norman, Robin and Rosemary
          and prayers for all their family.

          Prayers for the eternal rest of Jack, who died after a long battle with
          cancer, and for his family and all who mourn him.

          Prayers for D.'s, son, surgery reveals he has synovitis, which occurs with
          some forms of arthritis, biopsy results pending. Prayers for them both.

          Prayers for Andy, homeless for 4 years, needing shelter and a job.

          Prayers for Elena, dying of cancer, unresponsive and not eating, prayers for
          her healing, if God wills, for her happy death if He wills to take her. She
          has not been a religious person nor has she been given to prayer.
          Ardent prayers for her happy death.

          Healing prayers for Maria, diabetes, and Maxine, Alzheimer's disease.

          Prayers the God will hear the prayers of Lisette, through the many novenas
          she has made.

[...]

          I was guestmaster, not cellarer, but this chapter reminds me that no job
          is an empire, a turf, a personal fiefdom that one administers
          temperamentally and without love. Jobs, for Benedictines in world or
          monastery, are stewardships, not power trips.

          Of course, the needs of those who come to us at work or at home can be
          overwhelming, even oppressive at times, but we are told not to react to
          those buttons pushed, but to react with love and humility. Whatever your
          job is, the reality is that if there were none with needs, you would
          likely be unemployed. Always remember that. We serve, we do not rule.
          Our call is to forget ourselves in service, not to present our
          intransigent selves to be served.

          Our motto is Peace, because St. Benedict knew how completely
          essential to a fruitful monastic life inner peace was and is. That's
          why he gives this really rather astounding principle that: "...no one may

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 8

            +PAX

            Prayers for the eternal rest of Gerald, on the anniversary of his death, and for his wife and daughter and all who mourn him, Prayers, too, for the eternal rest of Andy, his son, who predeceased him.

            Prayers for Matt and Kendall, making their final Oblation at St. Procopius Abbey, Lisle, Illinois, for many graces and many happy years in God’s service.

            Prayers for M., discerning about making her Oblation, for the perfect will of God and for deep trust.

            Continued prayers for the youth vocations mission in Cebu, Philippines, the program will last for twelve weeks. Prayers for an abundant harvest of vocations.

            Prayers for a  number of academics fearing for their jobs at a university. Some are near retirement age and would have trouble finding new positions. Prayers that they make keep their jobs. Prayers that all may be provided for by God and that they may trust Him.

            Prayers for a nurse and another caregiver who have had distressing experiences with those for whom they care. Prayers for courage, strength and perseverance.