Holy Rule for July 3

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2005
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for all those travelling for the holiday weekend in the US and Canada. Canadian and UK readers will please note the British spelling of travelling!! Safe trips for all.

      George, one of our readers, has asked me to remind all of the many local children available for adoption, many of them not infants and therefore less likely to find parents to adopt them. Catholic Charities or another local agency is a good place to start looking. Prayers for all those older children wanting parents but not being adopted! There is nothing wrong with seeking to adopt an infant, or with going abroad to do so, but there are plenty available here, too.

      Prayers, please for Lil, extensive, inoperable abdominal cancer. Her friends (the same prayer community which lost Andy, for whom we recently prayed,) are making a novena to the Divine Mercy that, by the intercession of Pope John Paul II, a miracle may be granted her. Prayers, please, for Ione, a missionary to indigenous people in Brazil. She has a lot of very basic needs that are difficult to fill, given her location. Friends want to help, but getting the help there is another matter.

      Prayers of Deo gratias and thanks for Kaitlyn, the preemie baby for whom we prayed. She is home with her parents and doing well, also for Barry and Bev, feeling much more positive about Barry's prognosis, which looks better, and beginning his chemo. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      March 3, July 3, November 2
      Chapter 26: On Those Who Without an Order Associate with the
      Excommunicated

      If any sister presumes
      without an order from the Abbess
      to associate in any way with an excommunicated sister,
      or to speak with her,
      or to send her a message,
      let her incur a similar punishment of excommunication.

      REFLECTION

      When punishment is necessary, the community should support it, at
      least passively. This united front should be far different from the
      human tendency we often see to abandon those in trouble. Quite the
      reverse, like everything in the Holy Rule, this must be fueled by the
      concern born of great love.

      Common life can often leave one with a slew of relationships which
      are polite and civil, even cordial, but frankly no deeper than a lot
      of people at work have with each other. That's sad, but it does
      happen. Times of crisis like this should awaken us to the necessary
      depth of love for all.

      Hard though it may sometimes be, we may not rejoice at the downfall
      of another. We must participate in common punishments because they
      are for the good of all, but also because they are primarily for the
      good of the offender, whom we must love. Admittedly, sometimes the
      only way one can express that concern is prayer, but we must pray!

      Sometimes, both superiors and communities can have an inordinate fear
      of giving punishment. What if she leaves? Yeah, what if....? Maybe
      she is supposed to leave, maybe this is God's way of telling her
      something about herself that she cannot see. Some people who really,
      truly do NOT belong in monastic life cannot be convinced of this.
      Some people who are terrible at a given job will not wake up to that
      fact in any other way. Toxic spouses must sometimes be told
      explicitly that, if they insist on continuing to harm themselves,
      they'll have to do it elsewhere, without destroying the rest of the
      family any longer.

      Some find the Rule harsh in this respect, but there is a great love
      and mercy here. The Holy Rule forbids what most people in groups will
      do: passive aggression. We cannot just wordlessly force the person
      out without a clue as to why. Punishment must be named and specific,
      the offender must know and those around her must care. It may in fact
      force a monk out, but he will know why when he leaves. This is vastly
      different from the ordinary human means of exclusion and expulsion.
      It include grace. It includes love.

      jeromeleo@... St. Mary's Monastery

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2006
        +PAX

        Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for Ann, for whom we prayed during her surgery, she is now home and awaiting biopsy results, so further prayers are in order. Also for Gerry and Eva and Ben, their soldier son, who just returned safely home for a visit. Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for Brother Thomas of Pluscarden, on his feast day and for ALL our Thomases. May graces abundant be theirs! Prayers of thanks for the many gifts and freedoms (especially the freedom to worship,) that we enjoy in our various countries, and prayers for those in areas not so blessed. Deo gratias: the new pastor for whom we prayed sailed through her first Sunday with great success!

        Prayers for someone depressed and troubled over financial matters and for all the family who wishes to help, and for Fr. Shea, recovering from cardiac problems. Prayers for Michael, having brain seizures. He had a cyst removed from his brain in February and was doing fine until now, prayers, too, for his family, especially his aunt. Prayers for all the healthcare folks who care for us and our folks. They are truly the hands and hearts God uses to care for us! May they always be aware of the awesome gift that is theirs. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2007
          +PAX

          Prayers for Vince, Marian and Dave, and all their family for a special intention. Prayers for all the flood victims who lost everything in Coffeyville, Kansas. An oil refinery released crude oil during the flood and everything in many homes is polluted beyond saving.

          Deo gratias and thanksgiving for Bill, mesothelioma, now improved enough to start his chemo. Continued prayers for him in this treatment regimen.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2, 2016
            +PAX

            Prayers for Brother Thomas of Pluscarden on his feastday, graces galore and
            many more. Prayers, too, for the eternal rest of Fr. Thomas McCarthy of St.
            Leo, who died some years ago, and prayers for the return to the Faith of two
            other Thomases, one an agnostic, the other an atheist. May God bring them
            home to Himself. Prayers for TomKay of Monastic Life list. Prayers for all
            our Thomases on their feastday.

            Prayers for the eternal rest of the 26 hostages and terrorists killed in
            Bangladesh, and for the families of all and for all who mourn them. Prayers
            for any who may have been wounded. Prayers for the conversion and repentance
            of the attackers, too.

            Prayers for the happy death of Teresa, nearing the end of her battle with
            cancer, and for her husband, children and all her family and all who will
            mourn her.

            Prayers for Cheri, on her birthday, graces galore and many more! Ad multos
            annos!

            Prayers for Gregory, father of grace, the baby for whom we prayed, he is
            having exploratory surgery to better diagnose what is wrong with his hand,
            while he is still dealing with the aftermath of his baby daughter's surgery.

            This week many are celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Battle of the
            Somme, in World War I, prayers for all who fell there or were wounded.
            Prayers for all who were lost in all wars, for their families, for the
            eternal rest of the dead and healing of those who survived, wounded in mind
            or heart or body.

            Prayers for a gathering of Oblates being held next week.

            grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. BJL

            March 3, July 3, November 2
            Chapter 26: On Those Who Without an Order Associate with the
            Excommunicated

            If any sister presumes without an order from the Abbess to
            associate in any way with an excommunicated sister, or to speak
            with her, or to send her a message, let her incur a similar
            punishment of excommunication.

            REFLECTION

            When punishment is necessary, the community should support it, at
            least passively. This united front should be far different from the
            human tendency we often see to abandon those in trouble. Quite the
            reverse, like everything in the Holy Rule, this must be fueled by
            the concern born of love. Times of crisis like this should awaken us to the
            necessary depth of love for all.

            Hard though it may sometimes be, we may not rejoice at the downfall
            of another. We must participate in common punishments because they
            are for the good of all, but also because they are primarily for
            the good of the offender, whom we must love. Admittedly, sometimes
            the only way one can express that concern is prayer, but we must
            pray!

            Sometimes, both superiors and communities can have an inordinate
            fear of giving punishment. What if she leaves? Yeah, what if....?
            Maybe she is supposed to leave, maybe this is God's way of telling
            her something about herself that she cannot see. Some people who
            really, truly do NOT belong in monastic life cannot be convinced of
            this.

            Some find the Rule harsh in this respect, but there is a great love
            and mercy here. The Holy Rule forbids what many people in groups
            will do: passive aggression. We cannot just wordlessly force the
            person out without a clue as to why.

            Punishment must be named and specific, the offender must know and
            those around her must care. It may in fact force a monk out, but he
            will know why when he leaves. This is vastly different from the
            ordinary human means of exclusion and expulsion. It includes grace.
            It includes love. Lots of love! And its justice is always somehow
            wrapped in mercy.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 2

              +PAX

              Prayers for Brother Thomas of Pluscarden on his feastday, graces galore and many more. Prayers, too, for the eternal rest of Fr. Thomas McCarthy and Fr. Thomas Hoffman of St. Leo, both died some years ago, and prayers for the return to the Faith of two other Thomases, one an agnostic, the other an atheist. May God bring them home to Himself. Prayers for TomKay of Monastic Life list. Prayers for all our Thomases on their feastday.

              Prayers for Hilary and Cheri on their birthdays, graces galore and many more.

              Prayers for Christina and her daughter, Bri, 11. Bri has been cutting herself, self-harming for quite a while. There are difficulties with insurance for them to get the special psychological care and treatments she needs. This is hard on the whole family, prayers for them all.