Holy Rule for July 1

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005

      Prayers, please, for Linda, in drug-induced coma for 10 days after surgery to repair a deep brain aneurysm. How the surgery affected her functions will not be known until they bring her out of the coma. For Trish and a colleague who is threatened by Trish's return to work; bridge-building and peace needed badly. For Keara, who needs good employment and income, especially in the next two months, and that she be able to get out of her current job which poses health hazards for her. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much! JL

      March 1, July 1, October 31
      Chapter 24: What the Measure of Excommunication Should Be

      The measure of excommunication or of chastisement
      should correspond to the degree of fault,
      which degree is estimated by the judgment of the Abbess.

      If a sister is found guilty of lighter faults,
      let her be excluded from the common table.
      Now the program for one deprived of the company of the table
      shall be as follows:
      In the oratory she shall intone neither Psalm nor antiphon
      nor shall she recite a lesson
      until she has made satisfaction;
      in the refectory she shall take her food alone
      after the community meal,
      so that if they eat at the sixth hour, for instance,
      that sister shall eat at the ninth,
      while if they eat at the ninth hour
      she shall eat in the evening,
      until by a suitable satisfaction she obtains pardon.

      REFLECTION

      Ever run over something unintentionally with a lawnmower? Most of us
      have, and if you personally have never done such a thing, it would be
      far less upsetting to me if you never said so... LOL! Think about it.
      Who, in their right mind, would deliberately take a mower that is
      costly to repair or replace and aim for an obstacle in the grass?
      Face it, while there could be malevolence here, it is very unlikely.
      Headline: "Yet Another Wave of Lawnmower Vandalism Cuts Through
      Suburbia: Authorities Alerted to Suspects By Mowers' Noisy Sound."
      Real sneaky one there!

      Yet the only case of this lighter excommunication of which I have
      personal knowledge was just this dumb. In the mid-1960's, a junior
      monk I knew ran over a water sprinkler while mowing in the Grotto at
      Saint Leo. (I have been visiting St. Leo since 1957, the Grotto is
      one of my favorite places and I STILL could not tell you where all
      the water sprinklers are. It is a wooded and confusing area.) The guy
      didn't mean to do it and, as far as I know, admitted his guilt,
      turned himself in. Sigh... he got this light excommunication for a
      while as punishment.

      That was one of the problems with "excommunication" (which, by the
      way, refers only to communal life, not to the Church or its
      Sacraments.) It was often used for silly, innocent mistakes,
      unintentional accidents. In cases like the one I noted, it often
      stressed the material above the personal. Obviously, the greatest
      treasure of the monastery was the monastic, not the water sprinkler!
      It could, as such, lack mercy and fall far short of the Gospel,
      something the Holy Rule, rightly interpreted, will never call us to
      do. Also, since it can be quite irrational punishment, it is hardly
      constructive of healthy family bonds!

      As so often happens, we abandon one lunacy only to flee madly to its
      opposite extreme. We went from too much to too little, sometimes
      nothing at all. In the last 35 years or so, I have heard of only one
      threat of excommunication and it did not have to be carried out,
      thank heavens. Still, we have abandoned the good that was in the
      practice: a clear, codified way to let someone know they were out of
      line, that something was wrong, that they needed help or reform or
      both.

      We replaced this (allegedly,) with talking to the individual, a sane
      enough response, except that some superiors find this hard, almost
      impossible to do well. That's not surprising, given the monastic
      aversion to conflict and confrontation. But it is CONFLICT we should
      avoid, not confrontation. We're called to a lot of the latter. It is
      the stuff of which reform and conversion is often generated. The
      Rule's system, for all its faults, gave a "language" and idiom to a
      superior who may not have been able to "say" it any other way. It
      eased the road for the timid.

      Take that away, and you have no means of correction in some settings.
      Both these extremes are founded on the same false assumption. Both
      ascribe to offenders more control over their actions than may
      actually be the case. Small wonder neither extreme works terribly
      well.

      Just talking to someone is fine as an alternative, but one HAS to
      actually do it. Some problems in people will neither identify nor
      repair themselves. It is folly to think that they will, to presume
      that all people have a level of clairvoyance or maturity that many,
      in fact, do not. Not only that, but as the Rule itself points out,
      some people cannot understand or "hear" a verbal correction. Things
      have not changed as much in the intervening 15 centuries as we might
      like to think they have. Some still can't hear. We still need a
      humane middle point between nothing and something very extreme.

      Parents take warning. Embrace either of these extremes and your
      children will be talking about you many, many years later, to
      therapists or in bars, or both! Ditto bosses and superiors. Your job
      is the exact and complete opposite of ignoring major flaws, of
      letting things like that go. If your head is in the sand on any
      significant count, everyone in the family suffers including,
      eventually, yourself.

      http://stmarysmonastery.org

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2006

        Prayers, please, for Pauline Tinguely, of Monastic Life, who yet has a long road to recovery from her illnesses and is in a long-term care facility, also for Don, her husband, and all her family. Prayers for Michael, who retired from teaching last week and looks forward to a new chapter in his life, also for Pat, who completed her job contracts yesterday and now looks ahead to a trip to the Holy Land and entrance into a monastery afterward. Prayers for a holy and safe trip for Pat and her companions, as well as the fullness of God's will in her vocation. Lord, help us as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        have. If you personally have never done such a thing, it would be
[...]

        avoid, not loving confrontation. We're called to a lot of the latter. It is

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 30, 2007

          Prayers for Brenna, starting a new life in another state and needing to sell her home in her former state, also for her Mom, seeking to move near her and needing to rent her farm, hopefully to a group of religious or the like. Prayers, too, for Brenna's assistance dog, Pete, a loyal friend of many years who may have cancer. Prayers, too, for the conversion of Brenna's former husband. Prayers for the will of God for Ann at her job. Continued prayers for Al, one last chance to extend his visa may work.

          Prayers for the spiritual, physical and mental health of the following, for all their families and all who care for or treat them:

          Jan, who is to have surgery on her spine on Wednesday this week. and for the welfare of her sister and brother-in-law in the UK that she has not heard from for some time.

          Bob, our liver transplant. Too weak to continue chemo for his hepatitis, he has been sent home and the prognosis seems not good. Also for his wife, Petrina. Particularly ardent prayers for the gift of faith for both, as they are agnostic.

          Tania, awaiting biopsy reports on her kidney lesion, hopefully due on Monday. Special prayers during this time of waiting, which is so often nerve-wracking.

          Donald, beginning treatment Monday for an especially aggressive form of cancer, and for his brother, Jim. Special prayers for Donald to have the grace to embrace fully the salvation Jesus won for him.