Holy Rule for June 26

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 26, 2005
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of Allison, 23, victim of a hit and run, and for her parents, Ed & Wendie and her brother, Chris; also for Matthew, 20, the young man who allegedly struck her while driving under the influence of alcohol.

      Let us always remember to pray for the perpetrators of horrific acts. So many pray for the victims, who, in their innocence, make very appealing beneficiaries, but the ones who did the harm often need prayer much, much more, and there are fewer willing to pray for them. God's love and forgiveness extends to all, and, every time we say the Lord's Prayer, we affirm that ours must, too.
      Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      February 25, June 26, October 26
      Chapter 19: On the Manner of Saying the Divine Office

      We believe that the divine presence is everywhere
      and that "the eyes of the Lord
      are looking on the good and the evil in every place" (Prov. 15:3).
      But we should believe this especially without any doubt
      when we are assisting at the Work of God.
      To that end let us be mindful always of the Prophet's words,
      "Serve the Lord in fear" (Ps. 2:11)
      and again "Sing praises wisely" (Ps. 46:8)
      and "In the sight of the Angels I will sing praise to You" (Ps.
      137:1).
      Let us therefore consider how we ought to conduct ourselves
      in sight of the Godhead and of His Angels,
      and let us take part in the psalmody in such a way
      that our mind may be in harmony with our voice.

      REFLECTION

      Students act differently (usually worse, alas...) for a substitute
      teacher. Employees are different when the boss is off for the day.
      These assortments of different behavior are pretty much shot through
      the human condition, though not necessarily always a good idea.

      Sometimes, we conduct ourselves in an artificially nice (or wicked!)
      manner because we do NOT know with whom we are dealing. Our
      politeness or our shyness or boldness can be terribly false facades.
      Whether our projections are attempts to be cool and with it or
      decidedly cultured and subtle, they can be masks, and are at times!

      The message here is no masks. Know Him in Whose presence and House
      you are. But really KNOW Him. That can take a lifetime of trying on
      and shedding as false different modes of conduct.

      God, like so many things, is very Benedictine in His perfection,
      which stands between the extremes in which we are prone to think of
      Him. If you think God is pretty much like the strictest teacher you
      ever had, who ran a real death camp of a classroom, guess again.
      You're dead wrong.

      On the other hand, neither is God some smiling, spinelessly
      "tolerant" chap Who will put up with any and all behavior with a shrug,
      though I surely hope He has chuckled at some of my earthier moments
      more than once! God has standards and He has shared them with us.
      Both extreme views of God are wrong, not surprisingly!

      God is Parent and Creator and we are always creatures, but we are not
      always children. We have to grow to the adult relationship with God
      that fortunate children eventually share with their parents. (If we
      never got to do this, and many haven't, establishing such honesty
      with God is possibly going to be a bit of a chore... Keep trying!)

      As we grow in our knowledge of God, our behavior around Him (and we
      are ALWAYS "around Him", that's another clear message of the Holy
      Rule!) changes. It becomes more real and more natural. It changes with
      a very clear eye to Whom God is and who we are. It changes from
      knowledge born of love and security.

      A final little word here about the angels. We are in the sight
      of "the Godhead and His angels." Protestant churches which would
      not approve of prayer to saints can find ample Scriptural bases for
      praying to angels! Again and again we see people conversing with
      God's messengers in the Bible. Hence, don't waste 'em! None of us is
      so rich as to afford to ignore friends!

      Let the angels help. Ask them to help you on your road. The briefest
      glance at their Scriptural track record will show one that that is something
      they are very good at! Ditto protection. I ask the angels to guard the houses
      of all on my prayer list every single night- as well as protect my chickens from
      predators!

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 26, 2006
        +PAX

        Prayers, please, for Jerri, just diagnosed with cancer, which has already spread to several major organs, she is now in ICU with a staph infection, and for Elaine, glaucoma surgery to correct pressure too high now has resulted in pressure too low and she cannot see to read, prayers for the health care folks caring for them both and for all our prayer folks. Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Heinz, who went to God yesterday, for his niece, Frances, and all his family and those who mourn him. Prayers for Ann, recovering from surgery and for Anastasia, still a runaway from her group home, and her parents and those trying to help find her. Prayers for Fr. Henry, an Air Force chaplain retired, who has gone to God, for his happy death and eternal rest and for all those who mourn him.

        HUGE Deo gratias for Harry, who has landed the job he sought with Aid to the Church in Need. This seems to be right where God wanted him, so prayers of thanks and for his ministry there! Harry thanks all who prayed. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        Both extreme views of God are wrong, not surprisingly! The middle
        perfection of God is His love and His mercy, His Heart which knows the
        demands of justice better than anyone, but always, always tends to
        mercy. Mercy is God's greatest attribute, the perfect function of His
        infinite Love!

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 25, 2007
          +PAX

          Deo gratias and prayers of thanksgiving for Taffy's successful breast surgery last week, with prayers for a speedy recovery. Thanksgiving, too, for Brianna's recent successful gallbladder surgery with prayers for speedy recovery. Prayers for Shirley who will be having colon cancer surgery this week and for family members who offer her support. Prayers for Bobby, serving in Iraq, for Melissa, his wife and Helen, his grandmother, prayers, too, for Josh, also in Iraq, his wife, Tillie, and his parents, Darlene and Dean.

          Prayers for Ross, skin cancer lesions removed yesterday, also for Anne, newly diagnosed with breast cancer. Prayers for John, having his bladder removed next week, and for his wife, Sylvia, distraught because she has already been widowed once before. Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Alan, her first husband. Prayers for a dear friend of Michael's having a medical procedure this week, for a successful and uneventful treatment. Prayers for all those suffering from wildfires in the western United States.

          Prayers for a young mother and her baby, the baby may be taken because of the mother's drug abuse. Prayers that the child may be placed with his grandparents, rather than strangers, and that the father may keep his cool when all this comes to pass. Prayers for three newly ordained priests in Baltimore and their families and friends. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 25, 2016
            +PAX

            Prayers for the eternal rest of at least 24 dead in the flooding in West
            Viriginia, and for the many who have been injured or lost their homes and
            possessions. Prayers for them and all their families and for all who are
            trying to help.

            Prayers for the upcoming federal election in Australia, for the good of all
            and may God guide the electors.

            Belated Happy Birthday prayers for Marion, her birthday was June 25. May she
            receive many graces and blessings and many more years, ad multos annos!

            Prayers for the happy death of Billy, 56, on hospice with cancer. He stopped
            attending Mass years ago but recently received the last rites. Prayers, too,
            for all his family and all who will mourn him.

            Belated Happy Birthday prayers for Abbot Philip of Christ in the Desert,
            many graces and blessings and many more years, ad multos annos.

            Ardent prayers, please for Tom, having spells where he cannot talk He is in
            the hospital and had another spell so they moved him to cardiac room. He
            will have a neuro consult and they are checking for tick borne illnesses.
            Prayers, too, for his wife and family and for Barbara, his mother-in-law,
            who asked prayers for him.

            Prayers for J., lonely and depressed, needs friends and hope for a good
            marriage. Prayers that God will fulfill him with His will.

            Prayers for the health of Kermit, hospitalized with diverticulitis.

            Prayers for G., that car accident insurance claims are settled justly.

            Prayers for Christopher, 25, a police officer shot three times while on
            duty, in critical condition, and for his family and for the repentance of
            his shooter.

[...]

            Sometimes, we conduct ourselves in an artificially nice (or bold)
            manner because we do NOT know with whom we are dealing. Our
            politeness or our shyness or boldness can be terribly false facades.
            Whether our projections are attempts to be cool and with it or
            decidedly cultured and subtle, they can be masks at times.

[...]

            God is Father and Creator and we are always creatures, but we are not
            always children. We have to grow to the adult relationship with God
            that fortunate children eventually share with their parents. (If we
            never got to do this, and many haven't, establishing such honesty
            with God is possibly going to be a bit of a chore... Keep trying!)

            As we grow in our knowledge of God, our behavior around Him (and we
            are ALWAYS "around Him", that's another clear message of the Holy
            Rule!) changes. It becomes more real and more natural. It changes with
            a very clear eye to Who God is and who we are. It changes from
            knowledge born of love and security.

            A final little word here about the angels. We are in the sight
            of "the Godhead and His angels." Naturally, we worship God alone,

            Father, Son and Holy Spirit, and our prayers are first to Him. But we

            also venerate in lesser ways Mary and the angels and saints. We ask

            them to help us with their prayers and intercession.

            Protestants who would not approve of prayer to Mary or the

            saints can find ample Scriptural bases for praying to angels! Again and
            again

            we see people conversing with God's messengers in the Bible, and what is
            prayer

            but conversation?. Hence, don't waste 'em! None of us is
            so rich as to afford to ignore friends!

            Let the angels help. Ask them to help you on your road. The briefest
            glance at their Scriptural track record will show one that that is something
            they are very good at! Ditto protection. I pray the angels may guard
            all of you!

            www.stmarysmonastery.org

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 25, 2017

              I mistakenly sent this out as June 27, the date is corrected here.

              +PAX

              Prayers for both St. Mary’s Monastery and St. Scholastica Priory, we are on retreat this week. Prayers, too, for Fr. Ephrem, OSB, our retreatmaster.

              Prayers for Marion, her birthday was yesterday, graces galore and many more, ad multos annos!

              Belated birthday prayers, too, for Abbot Philip of Christ in the Desert, graces galore and many more, ad multos annos!

              Prayers for D. and D. both for  the healing of their relationship with each other and that they may both be given sacred and holy strength from our Lord and Blessed Mother to turn away from all temptations and sin and follow the guidance of their guardian angels beside them and the Holy Spirit within them.

              Prayers for Bob, aching pain in legs and back.