Holy Rule for June 21

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 21, 2005

      Forgive me, but due to an unusually challenging week in the guest house, I will most likely not be able to respond to prayer requests individually, so please take the appearance of the intentions here as the only response. I am sorry, but I know I'd never get around to all of them and the guesthouse, by obedience, is my "day job" so to speak... and often my "night job", too! If I have missed any, please resend them and forgive me.

      Prayers, please, for Fr. Brian, post-op appendectomy, and for a raging flu epidemic in his part of New Zealand which is hitting lots of folks. May Father be spared as he recovers and may the others be helped! Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias, our pastor who had to go to Mexico with voice troubles was readily helped by God with interpreters and musicians and all went smoothly!

      Tragic prayers for a father who accidentally left 9 1/2 month old twins in his car on a hot day. One died, the other lived, prayers for William, Sheila, Gabby and the other twin. Prayers, too, for Joey, the chaplain who is trying so hard to help them shoulder this terrible loss. Let us pray that the little one did not suffer too much, too. God is outside of time.

      Continued prayers for Irene, 75, TomKay's Mom, and for Linda, his sister. Irene's infection has worsened and spread to her bloodstream. Her artificial knee will have to be removed and there is a lot of intensive and aggressive therapy needed and she really has a lot of discomfort, along with some cardiology risks. Prayers for Tom and Linda as they try their best to help their Mom.

      Prayers for Mother Seraphima, a nun hospitalized with severe and possibly fatal physical ailments which are aggravated by conditions at her monastery. May both improve! Prayers for Barbara, compression fracture in her spine and hoping to avoid surgery. Prayers for Barry, pancreatic cancer and very depressed, and for Beverly, his wife, who is trying to stay strong for him.
      Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      February 20, June 21, October 21
      Chapter 17: How Many Psalms Are to Be Said at These Hours

      We have already arranged the order of the psalmody
      for the Night and Morning Offices;
      let us now provide for the remaining Hours.

      At Prime let three Psalms be said,
      separately and not under one "Glory be to the Father."
      The hymn of that Hour
      is to follow the verse "Incline unto my aid, O God,"
      before the Psalms begin.
      Upon completion of the three Psalms
      let one lesson be recited,
      then a verse,
      the "Lord, have mercy on us" and the concluding prayers.

      The Offices of Terce, Sext and None
      are to be celebrated in the same order,
      that is:
      the "Incline unto my aid, O God," the hymn proper to each Hour,
      three Psalms, lesson and verse,
      "Lord, have mercy on us" and concluding prayers.

      If the community is a large one,
      let the Psalms be sung with antiphons;
      but if small,
      let them be sung straight through.

      Let the Psalms of the Vesper Office be limited to four,
      with antiphons.
      After these Psalms the lesson is to be recited,
      then the responsory, the hymn, the verse,
      the canticle from the Gospel book,
      the litany, the Lord's Prayer and the concluding prayers.

      Let Compline be limited to the saying of three Psalms,
      which are to be said straight through without antiphon,
      and after them the hymn of that Hour,
      one lesson, a verse, the "Lord, have mercy on us,"
      the blessing and the concluding prayers.

      REFLECTION

      Just as Lauds and Vespers are fraternal twins, at dawn and sunset, so
      are Prime and Compline, before work and before bed. Both are somewhat
      different from the other minor hours, but, like Lauds and Vespers,
      they share a similarity and complementarity of sorts. Prime was
      suppressed in the Roman rite, but not in the Monastic usage. Still,
      in the reshuffling of things, Prime got lost in many, if not most
      houses. I was delighted to find it still in use at some UK houses.

      That's too bad, in a way. Just as Compline features many things that
      prepare one for sleep or for the death it prefigures, always a
      possibility, so Prime prepares one for the day at hand, for its work
      and for life. The traditional time given for the celebration of Prime
      was "before work."

      Some older Oblate manuals used to offer the full text of Prime for
      every day, with the other hour being the changeless Compline. That
      made a great deal of sense. Many Oblates who could only dream
      spending morning hours before work or school celebrating Matins and
      Lauds could easily fit Prime into their schedule and its whole
      liturgical slant was to prepare them for and bless their work day
      ahead.

      One reason Prime became such a prayer for one's workday is that, over
      centuries, the minor hour got merged with a lot of stuff that
      ordinarily happened in the Chapter room daily: reading the Rule and
      assigning work. Hence, some of its additions may not have been of the
      purest type, but let us face it, we are an age that rarely insists on
      purism, and chiefly only when it agrees with agendas we already are
      bent on anyway.

      Since these are easily added to any scheme of morning prayer you
      might be using,let me give you the two prayers offered at the end of
      Prime. Either or both are a great way to begin the day and quickly
      memorized. Just remember, as you say them, to join your heart to the
      thousands and thousands of monastics who said them every day before
      you. They are a very neat connection to our past and to the saints of
      our Order who have gone before us.

      "Lord God Almighty, You have brought us to the beginning of this day.
      Preserve us now by Your power so that in this day we may not fall
      into any sin; rather, that all our words, thoughts and acts may be
      always directed to doing Your justice. We ask this through Jesus
      Christ our Lord. Amen."

      "Lord God, King of heaven and earth, be pleased this day to direct
      and sanctify, to rule and govern our hearts and bodies, our thoughts,
      words and deeds according to Your law and in obedience to Your
      commandments. Now and forever may we attain salvation and freedom by
      Your help, O Savior of the world, Who lives and reigns forever and
      ever. Amen"

      Enjoy them and use them!

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 21, 2006

        Prayers, please, for Elihu, cutbacks looming at his workplace and he has a wife and 2 kids to support, also for Virginia, sever osteoarthritis and hoping to manage the pain without a shoulder replacement. Prayers for Agatha, in a nursing home after a severe stroke, may her friends keep visiting and her spirits lift. Prayers for Katy, 87, broken ankle sometime ago is refusing to heal and she is in a nursing home, very discouraged and depressed about the whole state of affairs. Two Deo gratias prayers of thanksgiving: Donna, whose surgery was yesterday, had a very successful operation and the tumor is presumed to be benign. Also, Jane, who asked prayers for dog, Sadie, reports similar results, all thought to be benign, and now faces the challenge of keeping Sadie quiet for 10 days. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        It's too bad many places lost Prime. Just as Compline features many
[...]

        purest type, but let us face facts, we are an age that rarely insists on

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 20, 2007

          Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Susan, nearing death in hospice, for all her family and all who will mourn her. May she embrace the Divine Mercy with all her heart. Prayers for Bailey and her husband and all her family and their newborn son, Daniel, who has Downs Syndrome. Prayers for the 9 firefighters in South Carolina who lost their lives, they were able to save two people before dying themselves. prayers for their happy death and eternal rest and for all their families and all who mourn them.

          Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Gayle, early 50's, who died unexpectedly. For her husband, Dennis, and all their family, all who mourn her. Prayers for Brianna, 20, emergency gall bladder surgery, for her 9 month old son and all her family, especially her grandmother, Pat, who asked for prayers for her.

          Prayers for Garry and his continued search for God's perfect will for him. Prayers for Nadeem, his wife, Farrah, and their baby, Mary Fia. Farrah has typhoid and Mary Fia has stomach ailments. Prayers, too, for a special intention for J. and for healing. Prayers for Linda, surgery yesterday, and for all her family. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL