Holy Rule for June 20

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 20, 2005
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for Marina, looking for lodging in July, and for Nanette's parents, celebrating 50 years of marriage, also for Nanette, exploring education for new career opportunities. For Fr. Jim, responsible for 4 parishes and one year from retirement, and for Tom and all those who help him in his ministry.

      Continued prayers for: Father Jim Tingerthal, OSB, recuperating from a brain clot at home, for baby Izeck, brain aneurysm and still needs a lot of prayer. Prayers also for new born, Samuel, in ICU with a nasty hernia and Josh, 10, very ill with a fever that is not responding to treatment.

      Prayers of Deo gratias and thanks for Cherrie, 17, for whom we prayed after her brain problem, she is now getting around with a walker and slowly regaining her speech.

      Prayers, please for all the North Yorkshire areas affected by flash floods. No human lives lost so far, but a lot of livestock and economic hardships. This is the area around Ampleforth Abbey.

      Prayers for Jane's Mom, badly infected cellulitis in one foot and leg and now she has injured her other knee, with extreme swelling making it very hard to get around. Prayers, too, for Karen, Dave and Gayle in Alaska. Dave and Gayle are moving to Arizona and Karen will miss them sorely, for their safe trip and Karen's graceful acceptance of her loss. Prayers for Margaret, having 2/3 of her stomach removed this morning.

      Prayers for Joan, 97, in badly failing health. She has been unhappy and angry for years and has no hope nor faith. Ardent prayers for her to turn around in time. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much! JL

      February 19, June 20, October 20
      Chapter 16: How the Work of God Is to Be Performed During the Day

      "Seven times in the day," says the Prophet,
      "I have rendered praise to You" (Ps. 118:164).
      Now that sacred number of seven will be fulfilled by us
      if we perform the Offices of our service
      at the time of the Morning Office,
      of Prime, of Terce, of Sext, of None,
      of Vespers and of Compline,
      since it was of these day Hours that he said,
      "Seven times in the day I have rendered praise to You."
      For as to the Night Office the same Prophet says,
      "In the middle of the night I arose to glorify You" (Ps. 118:62).

      Let us therefore bring our tribute of praise to our Creator
      "for the judgments of His justice" (Ps. 118:164)
      at these times:
      the Morning Office, Prime, Terce, Sext, None,
      Vespers and Compline;
      and in the night let us arise to glorify Him.

      REFLECTION

      Tucked neatly into all this business of naming and counting the Hours
      of the Divine Office comes the actual reason we go to choir or say the
      Office alone. It is "our tribute of praise to our Creator 'for the judgments of
      His justice' " God makes neither junk nor mistakes!

      OK, tribute, praise, glorify, all those things are familiar enough to
      us, but the zinger here is "for the judgments of His justice."
      Whoops! A lot fall out on that one! Whether we realize it or not, the
      reason we praise God as Benedictine is to thank Him for ALL His
      decisions in regard to us. That isn't easy, but it is terribly valid
      and terribly necessary.

      We thank God- admittedly sometimes with gritted teeth- for all the
      things that did and DIDN'T work out the way we wanted them, for every
      acceptance and every rejection that brought us to be as we find
      ourselves today, in His arms. The jobs we didn't get, the great loves
      which were not reciprocal, the course we flunked, the kids that went
      wrong, the illness that dogs us, the spouse we should never have gone
      out with twice, the unwanted pregnancy, the miscarriage, EVERYTHING
      that has shaped our lives and persons is something we thank God for
      in the Office.

      I mention only the difficult things, because anybody can be thankful
      that the apparently GOOD stuff worked out. Nor am I saying all the
      bad stuff is God's fault, or that it's our own fault, but ALL of it
      is turned to GOOD by God, and that is worth singing about! All of it!
      If we look back honestly, we can see the hand of His goodness in the
      darkest times, we can see it in NOT having our way, we can see it in
      everything.

      Since the way God turns all to good is a mystery we shall never know
      fully in this life, we cannot adequately say much of anything but
      thanks and praise, the stammered joy of someone who has received a
      really great gift and is astounded at such generosity. Thanks, God.
      And hey, You really DID know what You were doing all along, didn't
      You?

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 20, 2006
        +PAX

        Prayers, please, for Sheila, sister of our Sr. Gemma, and for all her family. Sheila died yesterday morning of cancer, and her sister, Stephanie, had predeceased her, also from cancer, only a month or so ago. Prayers for their happy deaths and eternal rest. For their elderly parents, this makes the third child they have lost, since their son, Fr. Francis, was killed in a road accident some years ago.

        Prayers for Ginnie Schroeder, for whom we prayed and for whom some made the novena to Bl. Kateri, who also died yesterday. For her happy death and eternal rest and for all her family and those who mourn her. Closely connected to our community here, Ginnie was the sister of Fr. Marc of Still River, of Ownie, one of our readers, and of Donna, who was formerly our Sister Scholastica. Ownie is married to George Kloss, brother of our Srs. Mary Angela and Mary Elizabeth, so the family ties here are very strong. Prayers for them all!

        Prayers for Susie, very, very near death, and for those who are caring for her, for her happy death and eternal rest. Prayers for JoJo, 19, critically ill with colon problems, artificially fed and hydrated and in lots of pain. She is slowly regaining her ability to eat, but not out of danger yet. For all those healthcare folks caring for her and all our prayer intentions. For TomKay, trying to help JoJo with some of his famous cooking, and for all her family. Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for D., who did terribly well on an exam that will help immensely with entering a new job in another field. Prayers for Ken, 32, seriously worsening weight problem and for his worried parents. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        bad stuff is God's fault, nor that it's our own fault, nor that it is all justice
        punishing us, but ALL of it, every single bit of it is turned to GOOD by

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 19, 2016

            +PAX

            Prayers for the eternal rest of Ian, Fr. Dunstan’s father, who will be buried on Tuesday. Prayers, too, for Fr. Dunstan and his siblings, Jaspar and Georgiana. There is so much for them to do now and their grief at losing both parents only 6 months apart is great. Prayers for Fr. Dunstan’s safe travels back to the US after the funeral.

            Prayers for the eternal rest of Doris, for whom we prayed. Special prayers for her and for members of her family that she did not want invited to her funeral, a rift she died without resolving. Special prayers for her two nephews who were cut out  and not informed directly of her death. Family dissensions are such difficult things, prayers for them all.

            Prayers for the eternal rest of Andy, this will be the 21st yr. of his passing. He was only 22 y/o. His Dad died last year July 9, 2015, prayers for his eternal rest, too. Please continue to remember Gerald and Andy in your prayers. Special prayers for Beccy and Amy, who mourn them both, and for all their family and all who mourn them.

            Prayers for Br. Bruno, OSB, whose birthday was yesterday.

            Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Debby, about to lose her 5 year battle with cancer, a mother, wife, sister, nurse and friend. Prayers for all her family and for all who will mourn her, especially Debby.

            Prayers for Salvatore, who has bone cancer.

            Prayers for Corey, 30’s, stage 5 kidney failure, only 3% function, prayers for a healing or a transplant.

            Continued prayers for Libby and her family. She has lung cancer, but seems to be doing a little better.

            Prayers for Alex, 13, brain damaged after an accident, family is fighting to save him, very involved and complex matter needing much prayer.

[...]

            reason we praise God as Benedictines is to thank Him for ALL His

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 19

              +PAX

              Prayers for the victims of forest fires in Portugal, at least 57 dead and dozens more injured, prayers for the eternal rest of the dead and the recovery of the injured, and for the families of all. Prayers for the 1,700 firefighters and others who are trying to help.

              Prayers for the eternal rest of Andy, 22, on the 22nd anniversary of his death, and for the eternal rest of Jerry, his dad, who died in 2015. Prayers, too, for Beccy, his mother and Amy, his sister. Special prayers for Amy’s pregnancy, for a happy, healthy and safe delivery.

              Prayers for Br. Bruno, on his birthday yesterday, graces galore and many more, ad multos annos.

              Prayers for John’s son, 6, very ill with severe vomiting. Prayers it does not spread to the rest of the family.

              Prayers for Mary, lumpectomy for breast cancer next month, may they get all the cancer and her treatment be successful.

              Prayers for Nick, paraplegic for around 20 years, in the hospital for a huge decubitus ulcer and bone infection of his coccyx.

[...]

              out with twice, the unwanted pregnancy, EVERYTHING
              that has shaped our lives and persons is something we thank God for
              in the Office.

              I mention only the difficult things, because anybody can be thankful
              that the apparently GOOD stuff worked out. Nor am I saying all the
              bad stuff is God's fault, nor that it's our own fault, nor that it is all
              justice punishing us, but ALL of it, every bit of can be turned to GOOD by