Holy Rule for June 16

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 16, 2005

      Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for Trisha, who has finally been able to return to work on a limited basis, she has waited so long for this, may she improve and ease in GRADUALLY!! Trisha is so grateful for your prayers. Another Deo gratias for Claire, for whom we prayed. Her brain tumors are not cancerous and she will forego surgery for now, just close monitoring. And Deo gratias for a pastor/flock controversy that seems to be making progress in the right direction of resolution!

      Prayers for the repose of the soul of Sr. Veronica, 70, a Chicago nun who died a little over month after a hit and run driver accident, and for the driver, as yet unknown. Prayers for Tanner, a little girl struck by a car and thrown 30 feet, prognosis unknown, and for her family and friends. Prayers for Loretta, her sister and brother-in-law and their two young children. The brother-in-law has a serious substance abuse problem threatening to tear up the family. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      February 15, June 16, October 16
      Chapter 13: How the Morning Office Is to Be Said on Weekdays

      On weekdays
      the Morning Office shall be celebrated as follows.
      Let Psalm 66 be said without an antiphon
      and somewhat slowly,
      as on Sunday,
      in order that all may be in time for Psalm 50,
      which is to be said with an antiphon.
      After that let two other Psalms be said according to custom,
      namely:
      on Monday Psalms 5 and 35,
      on Tuesday Psalms 42 and 56,
      on Wednesday Psalms 63 and 64,
      on Thursday Psalms 87 and 89,
      on Friday Psalms 75 and 91,
      and on Saturday Psalm 142 and the canticle from Deuteronomy,
      which is to be divided into two sections
      each terminated by a "Glory be to the Father."
      But on the other days let there be a canticle from the Prophets,
      each on its own day as chanted by the Roman Church.
      Next follow the Psalms of praise,
      then a lesson of the Apostle to be recited from memory,
      the responsory, the hymn, the verse,
      the canticle from the Gospel book,
      the litany, and so the end.

      REFLECTION

      Again, we have the gentleness of St. Benedict, insisting on the slow
      recitation of Psalm 66, to give all the stragglers and strugglers
      time to arrive! But we have it here in other respects, too. Check out
      the length of the Canticle from Deuteronomy. Pack a lunch!! St.
      Benedict divides it, drops one Psalm and lets one half of the very
      long canticle take its place.

      Even though St. Benedict went out of his way to shorten the Roman
      Office of his day, here he says that the canticles chosen by the
      Roman Church for most of the week should be used. When he sees a good
      idea, he embraces it. When he sees a need for change, he does that,
      too. It is very evident that he did not care for lengthy services,
      that he did not want his monastics to become liturgical gymnasts,
      spending ALL their time working out! As always, he wanted balance.

      We must always be careful NOT to read St. Benedict with purely 21st
      century eyes. Liturgy and uniformity were very, very different in his
      time. If anything, uniformity was little known. The greatest
      ascendancy of the Roman usage before Trent in Europe- and even that
      was far from complete- would come hundreds of years later, under the
      aegis of Charlemagne. The enforced uniformity of Trent was over a
      thousand years away.

      Trivia: We forget that the Roman rite of Trent was not used
      everywhere before the 16th century, or even used everywhere AFTER the
      Reformation. One of the minor complaints to arise about the priests
      of the post-Reformation English mission was that some used the new
      Roman Mass of Trent, while others clung to the more ancient and
      properly English rite of Sarum. Dominicans, Cistercians and
      Carthusians retained their own rites, with Gallican peculiarities,
      right up until the late 1960's. Carthusians still use their own rite
      for Mass and Office, currently the most ancient and rare rite in the
      West.

      Hence, when we see St. Benedict setting up his own complete Psalter,
      that is not unusual: every monastery would have to do that for
      itself, some better than others. It was that "some better than
      others" part that St. Benedict wished to avoid: he set a standard for
      his monasteries that would protect them from the surrounding extremes
      of too much or too little.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 15, 2007

          Prayers, please, for two young women, both 36, one overdosed, perhaps accidentally, and the other committed suicide. The latter woman (I don't have names,) had four children. Prayers for their happy deaths and eternal rest and especially for all who survive them, most of all those children. Prayers for Dave, important diocesan interview. God's will be done!

          Prayers for Shirley, back at work, but a lot of pain after her shoulder surgery and tough physical therapy, too. Prayers for Cory, 18, killed in a car accident, for his happy death and eternal rest and for his parents and grandparents, Steve and Patty, and all their family, all who mourn him. Prayers for Basil, persistent cough of long duration still not pinned down and treated, also having kidney problems and is diabetic.

          Prayers for Mary, who will celebrate her Holy Confirmation on Sunday, and for Father Fraser, her priest, will celebrating his 35th year of ordination and for all St. Paul's Parish, especially their Benedictine study group. Prayers for a close friend of Carol's, who lost her job at the end of the school year on one hour's notice. Prayers for Ann and her Pentateuch study group, and for Fr. Larry, their teacher. Prayers for Elizabeth, severe insomnia, but using her sleepless nights to pray for us all. May God bless her and give her some nights of restful sleep! Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL