Holy Rule for June 15

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 15, 2005

      Prayers, please, for Fr. Steve Petrica, on the tenth anniversary of his ordination yesterday and for me, on the thirteenth anniversary of my vows today. Deo gratias for our vocations and for all he has given us in these years!

      Andy, for whom we have been praying, died yesterday morning. Prayers for his eternal rest and for wife, family and friends. Prayers, for Karla, 40, a cancer nurse having surgery for what is believed to be ovarian cancer on Thursday. Prayers for Eddie, mourning the loss of his beloved dog that he had for 13 years. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      February 14, June 15, October 15
      Chapter 12: How the Morning Office Is to Be Said

      The Morning Office on Sunday shall begin with Psalm 66
      recited straight through without an antiphon.
      After that let Psalm 50 be said with "Alleluia,"
      then Psalms 117 and 62,
      the Canticle of Blessing (Benedicite) and the Psalms of praise (Ps.
      148-150);
      then a lesson from the Apocalypse to be recited by heart,
      the responsory, the verse,
      the canticle from the Gospel book,
      the litany and so the end.

      REFLECTION

      Ever notice how a loving parent makes allowances to the kids WON'T
      slip up or be discouraged? Good teachers do the same thing. Some
      things are made so deliberately easy that all of the students can
      generally make it through the hoop!

      St. Benedict does this with both morning Offices, beginning Vigils
      and Lauds with 2 psalms that are said every day. He even stresses
      that, at Lauds, the 66th Psalm is to be said slowly, so that the
      monastics may have time to gather.

      Those two Offices are the time people are most likely to be running
      late, either because they had to bound out of bed at the last minute,
      or because the "necessities of nature" break between Vigils and Lauds
      delayed them unexpectedly. It is worth noting that only with these
      two Offices, when tardiness can so easily occur, does the Holy Rule
      make such allowance. For a further bit of trivia, these four Psalms
      are repeated every day: one could miss them several times in a week
      and still have said all 150 Psalms in that week.

      Sometimes people (including, alas, ourselves!) can make unrealistic
      conditions and demand that others meet them. The concept of failure
      is built into those demands. We fence people about with our own
      standards that they could not possibly meet, then condemn them for
      failing to meet them! What a sad and tragic game.

      Take a self-inventory and check to see if there is anyone you dislike so
      intensely that they cannot be right, no matter what they do. If there are any such
      folks, it's time for you to change, not them! I recall, alas, one pastor who
      annoyed me so much that even when he used incense (something I ordinarily
      love,) I carped to myself that he didn't do it right. With me, he just could NOT
      win. Sigh... When things get that bad, it's ourselves who need the overhaul,
      not the presumed "offender."

      St. Benedict, by his example, teaches us to be the exact opposite. He
      shows us that we should be gentle and loving, that we should not be
      about setting burdens on others that are guaranteed to make them fail
      or quit or be discouraged. If we have received such kindness, we
      should pass it on!