A Special Word for our readers who are not Catholic

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2005

      Perhaps not nearly often enough, I am aware that one or another facet of Catholic faith might be unfamiliar to many of our readers. I apologize for not being better about explaining same, but Friday's feast of the Sacred Heart was one time it really occurred to me that something was in order. A word or two of my own, then this EXCELLENT and concise paragraph about why we have such a feast by Pope Benedict XVI.

      Jesus is God. All of His humanity is sacred and worthy or worship, but when we worship His Heart, we are worshipping His love for us, of which that burning Heart is an apt and wonderful symbol. It is as the Fount of His Love and infinite Divine Mercy that we worship His Heart.

      Love and prayers,

      Jerome,OSB

      On the Sacred Heart
      "We Adore God's Love of Humanity"

      Dear Brothers and Sisters!

      Last Friday we celebrated the solemnity of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, devotion profoundly rooted in the Christian people. In biblical language, "heart" indicates a person's center, seat of his feelings and intentions. In the heart of the Redeemer we adore God's love of humanity, his will of universal salvation, his infinite mercy. Worship of the Sacred Heart of Christ means, therefore, worship of that heart which, after having loved us to the end, was pierced by the spear, and from the cross on high, shed blood and water, inexhaustible source of new life.