Holy Rule for June 1

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1 5:26 AM
      +PAX

      Our Abbot Hugh of Pluscarden thanks all for their prayers for Fr. Maurus, who has still not been found. He asks special prayers for today, Thursday and Friday, as the police are bringing dogs trained to search for human remains to comb the area. If they fail to find Father, there is nothing more they can do at this time. It would mean so much to the community to have his remains to bury properly. Prayers, too, for Br. Mungo of Pluscarden, who had a hip replacement and faces a long recovery. Br. Mungo, quite elderly, has the most beautifully kind blue eyes and a Christ-like face and smile to match. He is one of my fondest memories of Pluscarden.

      Prayers, too, for Kevin, sent to Iraq with his Special Forces unit, and for Linda, his Mom, Ronnie, his great aunt, and all his family. May God protect all in harm's way in war. Prayers for David and his diaconate program studies. Prayers for Carolyn, her husband, another Kevin, daughter Mary Catherine, and all her family. Carolyn was killed in a freak accident, struck in the chest by something thrown from an overpass on the highway. Mercifully, she and Mary Catherine were driving back from Mass and both has just received Communion. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him Thanks so much. JL

      [An aside about receiving the Eucharist: Carolyn had no idea at all that Communion on that day was her last, her Viaticum. Minutes later, she was dead. That could be true of any of us. We may never know which of our Communions is our Viaticum, so we ought to always receive them as if they were going to be our last. Tall order, I know, but a great idea... How many of us have seen the sadness in that last security video of Princess Diana getting into her limousine. She had no idea at all that she had only minutes to live. Vigilance and mindfulness are the answers- always be "packed" for the journey which might take us by surprise.]

      January 31, June 1, October 1
      Chapter 7: On Humility

      The third degree of humility is that a person
      for love of God
      submit himself to his Superior in all obedience,
      imitating the Lord, of whom the Apostle says,
      "He became obedient even unto death."

      REFLECTION

      Looks a little repetitious here, doesn't it? Almost like St. Benedict
      was scraping the bottom of the barrel to find something to use for a
      third step, so he'd still wind up with twelve. Not so.

      This short passage tempts one to a short reading and that casual
      perusal will miss the terribly important things here. These are the
      important elements that frame and sustain our obedience: it is done
      for love of God, it is submission to another and it is lifelong.
      Remove any one of those mainstays and you no longer have a
      Benedictine.

      It is nothing to persevere to the end without love. Nothing. It is
      nothing to obey without love, Eichmann did that quite admirably. Nor
      does it avail us anything at all to be obedient to ourselves: big
      challenge there! We'd wind up Sarabaites for sure, worshipping
      nothing but the idol of our own wills.

      This third degree gives the reason for Benedictine obedience: "for
      the love of God." We do not obey for so little as an orderly community,
      our obedience is not mere sociology, it is love. More even than just
      love, it is love of the One Who is Love at its highest perfection.

      We obey Love's delegates, our superiors, unto death. There are two
      meanings hidden in that phrase. It can mean martyrdom, obeying even
      to the point of being killed, but it also means obeying all of our lives,
      till the moment of our deaths. Frankly, few of us will be martyrs, because
      few of us are worthy of that grace. ALL of us, however, are called to the
      lifelong white martyrdom of obedience, which can often remind us that
      St. Teresa of Avila said that the martyrs "bought heaven cheaply", that
      they gained in one instant what the rest of us must plod on for many
      decades in a lifelong struggle to gain.

      Like Christ, for love, we become "obedient even unto death." During
      the Spanish Civil War, in the 30's, Communist forces raided the
      Benedictine monastery of El Pueyo, taking its 18 monks prisoner. One
      of the very significant things about this group is that many were
      just average monks, nothing special. All of them were martyred and
      one witness said that they went to their death "joyfully, as if going
      to a fiesta." These martyrs were members of our Subiaco Congregation
      and we are justifiably proud to have them as our brothers.

      Benedictine obedience of love, even unto death is decidedly not the
      kind that would please earthly tyrants. In fact, they'd gladly kill
      us for it. There is quite a likeness to our crucified Lord if we
      embrace that peril fully.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1 4:54 AM
        +PAX

        Many thanks to all who offered help with the 1-volume Office of readings book I was hunting for, one turned up on OSB list through the kindness of Pr. Bob Boehler. Please remember him in your prayers, as he made Sr. Cora a very happy nun!

        Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Alma, for whom we prayed after her fall at home. She went to God last night surrounded by her family, prayers for all her family and all who mourn her, too. Prayers for Frank, his daughter, Diane, and all his family. He is having a triple bypass and valve replacement tomorrow, but also has diabetes and a lot of other medical problems that may complicate surgery. Without the surgery, he had a prognosis of only 6 months. Continued prayers for Fr. Bede's Mom, Catherine. She is having a terrible time of things right now, becoming less and less mobile and in a lot of pain. Prayers for Freddie, brain tumor, and Linda, his wife. The tumor was only partially removed, impairing his vision and he is not a candidate for radiation. prognosis is uncertain.

        Prayers for all our monks here, we are going on a community trip to New Haven to see the Russian eggs and Crosses exhibit at the Knights of Columbus museum. May we all have a safe and holy trip! Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

          Message 4 of 6 , May 31, 2016

            +PAX

            Continued prayers for happy death of Fr. Dunstan’s father, Ian, and for Fr. Dunstan and all his family.

            Continued prayers for the health and recovery of Fr. Vern.

            Prayers for the Community of St. Meinrad Archabbey, having an abbatial election on June 2nd, may all be filled with the Holy Spirit.

            Prayers for all those suffering religious persecution in Pakistan, and for the conversion of their tormentors.

            Prayers for Dave, on the 2nd anniversary of his diaconal ordination yesterday, many graces and many more years!

            Prayers for the eternal rest of Fr. Guy's father, Alfred, the anniversary of his death was yesterday; and for all his family and all who mourn him.

            Prayers for Ben, on his birthday, graces galore and many more, ad multos annos!

            Prayers for Joe. He has end stage cancer making him very weak and is also diabetic.  Yesterday he fell and broke his femur. He will have to have surgery. Please pray for a successful procedure with no complications. Prayers too for Michelle his de facto caregiver.

            Prayers for the repose of the soul of Dom Basil Bolton OSB, monk of Ealing Abbey who died on 1 June 1976 – it is the 40th anniversary of his passing.

[...]

            love, it is love of the One Who is Love at its highest perfection. Without
            love, we are nothing.

            We obey Love's delegates, our superiors, unto death. There are two
            meanings hidden in that phrase. It can mean martyrdom, obeying even
            to the point of being killed, but it also means obeying all of our lives,
            till the moment of our deaths. Frankly, few of us will be martyrs, because
            few of us are worthy of that grace. ALL of us, however, are called to the
            lifelong white martyrdom of obedience, which can often remind us that
            St. Teresa of Avila said that the martyrs "bought heaven cheaply", that
            they gained in one instant what the rest of us must plod on for many
            decades in a lifelong struggle to gain.

            Like Christ, for love, we become "obedient even unto death." During
            the Spanish Civil War, in the 1930's, Communist forces raided the
            Benedictine monastery of El Pueyo, taking 18 monks prisoner. One
            of the very significant things about this group is that many were
            just average monks, nothing special. They were all martyred and
            one witness said that they went to their death "joyfully, as if going
            to a fiesta." These martyrs were members of our Subiaco Congregation
            and we are justifiably proud to have them as our brothers. They were

            beatified in 2013.

            Message 5 of 6 , May 31

              +PAX

              Prayers for the first teams of the Pluscarden Pilgrimage staff, who have left for France. Prayers for all who will be walking this summer, prayers for graces for them all and for a successful fundraising for Pluscarden’s South Range appeal.

              Prayers for Dave, on the 3rd anniversary of his diaconal Ordination, graces galore and many more, ad multos annos!

              Prayers for Ben, on his birthday, graces galore and many more, ad multos annos.

              Prayers for a successful mitral valve surgery and complete recuperation of Rick A. The emergency situation is very serious, not the least because he is the custodial parent of a teenage son with mental disabilities.

              Continued ardent prayers for the safe release of  Fr. Chito and the 240 Catholics held hostage with him in the Philippines, militants holding them have threatened to kill them if their demands are not met. Prayers, too, for the eternal rest of the 104 dead, and for their families and all who mourn them. Prayers for the conversion and repentance of the attackers and kidnappers, and for all affected by this terrible strife.

              Deo gratias, Brittany’s difficulties at her workplace have been solved in a manner she is very pleased with, thanks for all your prayers.

              Prayers for the eternal rest of Fr. Guy's father, Alfred, the anniversary of his death was yesterday; and for all his family and all who mourn him.

              Prayers for the eternal rest of two men killed in the Portland, Oregon train stabbing, and for the recovery of a third man who was injured, and for the families of all. The men were stabbed when they stepped in to help two women who were being abused with ethnic and religious slurs. Prayers for the conversion and repentance of the attacker and for the families of all.

              Prayers in advance for the monks of New Subiaco Abbey, in Arkansas, and for the Priests of the Diocese there who will all be on retreat beginning next week.

              Prayers for a special intention.

[...]

              to a fiesta." Beatified in 2013, these martyrs were monks of our Congregation