Holy Rule for June 1

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2005

      Our Abbot Hugh of Pluscarden thanks all for their prayers for Fr. Maurus, who has still not been found. He asks special prayers for today, Thursday and Friday, as the police are bringing dogs trained to search for human remains to comb the area. If they fail to find Father, there is nothing more they can do at this time. It would mean so much to the community to have his remains to bury properly. Prayers, too, for Br. Mungo of Pluscarden, who had a hip replacement and faces a long recovery. Br. Mungo, quite elderly, has the most beautifully kind blue eyes and a Christ-like face and smile to match. He is one of my fondest memories of Pluscarden.

      Prayers, too, for Kevin, sent to Iraq with his Special Forces unit, and for Linda, his Mom, Ronnie, his great aunt, and all his family. May God protect all in harm's way in war. Prayers for David and his diaconate program studies. Prayers for Carolyn, her husband, another Kevin, daughter Mary Catherine, and all her family. Carolyn was killed in a freak accident, struck in the chest by something thrown from an overpass on the highway. Mercifully, she and Mary Catherine were driving back from Mass and both has just received Communion. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him Thanks so much. JL

      [An aside about receiving the Eucharist: Carolyn had no idea at all that Communion on that day was her last, her Viaticum. Minutes later, she was dead. That could be true of any of us. We may never know which of our Communions is our Viaticum, so we ought to always receive them as if they were going to be our last. Tall order, I know, but a great idea... How many of us have seen the sadness in that last security video of Princess Diana getting into her limousine. She had no idea at all that she had only minutes to live. Vigilance and mindfulness are the answers- always be "packed" for the journey which might take us by surprise.]

      January 31, June 1, October 1
      Chapter 7: On Humility

      The third degree of humility is that a person
      for love of God
      submit himself to his Superior in all obedience,
      imitating the Lord, of whom the Apostle says,
      "He became obedient even unto death."

      REFLECTION

      Looks a little repetitious here, doesn't it? Almost like St. Benedict
      was scraping the bottom of the barrel to find something to use for a
      third step, so he'd still wind up with twelve. Not so.

      This short passage tempts one to a short reading and that casual
      perusal will miss the terribly important things here. These are the
      important elements that frame and sustain our obedience: it is done
      for love of God, it is submission to another and it is lifelong.
      Remove any one of those mainstays and you no longer have a
      Benedictine.

      It is nothing to persevere to the end without love. Nothing. It is
      nothing to obey without love, Eichmann did that quite admirably. Nor
      does it avail us anything at all to be obedient to ourselves: big
      challenge there! We'd wind up Sarabaites for sure, worshipping
      nothing but the idol of our own wills.

      This third degree gives the reason for Benedictine obedience: "for
      the love of God." We do not obey for so little as an orderly community,
      our obedience is not mere sociology, it is love. More even than just
      love, it is love of the One Who is Love at its highest perfection.

      We obey Love's delegates, our superiors, unto death. There are two
      meanings hidden in that phrase. It can mean martyrdom, obeying even
      to the point of being killed, but it also means obeying all of our lives,
      till the moment of our deaths. Frankly, few of us will be martyrs, because
      few of us are worthy of that grace. ALL of us, however, are called to the
      lifelong white martyrdom of obedience, which can often remind us that
      St. Teresa of Avila said that the martyrs "bought heaven cheaply", that
      they gained in one instant what the rest of us must plod on for many
      decades in a lifelong struggle to gain.

      Like Christ, for love, we become "obedient even unto death." During
      the Spanish Civil War, in the 30's, Communist forces raided the
      Benedictine monastery of El Pueyo, taking its 18 monks prisoner. One
      of the very significant things about this group is that many were
      just average monks, nothing special. All of them were martyred and
      one witness said that they went to their death "joyfully, as if going
      to a fiesta." These martyrs were members of our Subiaco Congregation
      and we are justifiably proud to have them as our brothers.

      Benedictine obedience of love, even unto death is decidedly not the
      kind that would please earthly tyrants. In fact, they'd gladly kill
      us for it. There is quite a likeness to our crucified Lord if we
      embrace that peril fully.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006

        Many thanks to all who offered help with the 1-volume Office of readings book I was hunting for, one turned up on OSB list through the kindness of Pr. Bob Boehler. Please remember him in your prayers, as he made Sr. Cora a very happy nun!

        Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Alma, for whom we prayed after her fall at home. She went to God last night surrounded by her family, prayers for all her family and all who mourn her, too. Prayers for Frank, his daughter, Diane, and all his family. He is having a triple bypass and valve replacement tomorrow, but also has diabetes and a lot of other medical problems that may complicate surgery. Without the surgery, he had a prognosis of only 6 months. Continued prayers for Fr. Bede's Mom, Catherine. She is having a terrible time of things right now, becoming less and less mobile and in a lot of pain. Prayers for Freddie, brain tumor, and Linda, his wife. The tumor was only partially removed, impairing his vision and he is not a candidate for radiation. prognosis is uncertain.

        Prayers for all our monks here, we are going on a community trip to New Haven to see the Russian eggs and Crosses exhibit at the Knights of Columbus museum. May we all have a safe and holy trip! Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL