Holy Rule for May 31

    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2005
      +PAX

      In the messages that have come to me about Jan, so many shared their own stories of loss of loved ones from suicide. It would be hard to extract all their names and some probably wouldn't even want that, so let us pray ardently for all those whose tragic deaths broke the hearts of so many of our readers, and for all of us they left behind. Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord and let perpetual light shine upon them! May we, the living, meet them once again in Your arms and Heart forever.

      Prayers for Andrew, who overdosed on the drug ecstasy and is mending in the hospital, but has a long recovery ahead, also for his worried friend, Matthew. Prayers, please, for someone beginning an ardent fast, for Shirley, who injured her knee badly and is in a lot of pain, for the Monks of Saint Leo Abbey, FL, who are on their retreat this week, for Sarah, 12, diagnosed with adult leukemia, being considered for stem cell transplant, the cost of her care is crippling her family, who already cope with her brother, Mark, 24, severely depressed and developmentally disabled from childhood treatments for ADD/HDD. Prayers for all this family, especially the brave parents. Bill, for whom we prayed, had a lot of difficulty after his surgery, finally with some kidney failure. He is home now, but needs constant care and his wife, Barb, is really worn out. Prayers for Jim, a World War II vet and prisoner of war, twice widowed, he is having complications after triple bypass surgery which are believed to be due to kidney malfunction. Prayers for all his family and those who love him. Prayers for Sue, post traumatic stress disorder and major depression, now hospitalized for chemo and back surgery, for Gail, whose cancer remission lasted only a year and is now back on chemo, and for Dave, recovering from cancer surgery and beginning chemo and radiation. Let us also pray for all the kind folks- today and every day- who are loving enough to bring these needs of others to our notice. Thirty-eight years ago today, I graduated from Tampa Catholic High School. Prayers, please for all the teachers and students there who changed my life forever for the better. Much of what I give you I received from them. I urge all of you to pray daily for those who taught you. It is a practice I love very much. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      [I mistakenly sent today's reading yesterday, so this is catching up.]

      We must be on our guard, therefore, against evil desires,
      for death lies close by the gate of pleasure.
      Hence the Scripture gives this command:
      "Go not after your concupiscences" (Eccles. 18:30).

      So therefore,
      since the eyes of the Lord observe the good and the evil (Prov. 15:3)
      and the Lord is always looking down from heaven
      on the children of earth
      "to see if there be anyone who understands and seeks God" (Ps. 13:2),
      and since our deeds are daily,
      day and night,
      reported to the Lord by the Angels assigned to us,
      we must constantly beware, brethren,
      as the Prophet says in the Psalm,
      lest at any time God see us falling into evil ways
      and becoming unprofitable (Ps. 13:3);
      and lest, having spared us for the present
      because in His kindness He awaits our reformation,
      He say to us in the future,
      "These things you did, and I held My peace" (Ps. 49:21).

      REFLECTION

      The theme of God seeking His laborers first expressed in the Prologue
      comes back here, like background hints of melody woven through an
      overture. God SEES us, yes, but He also SEEKS us, seeks those who
      seek Him. If we forget that, God's loving, watchful care over us (He
      assigns angels to us!) is reduced to the charm of a security camera,
      an "Eye in the sky."

      Ever lose somebody in airport? It's a funny sort of panic, because
      both of you know that ultimately, somehow you will connect. Until
      that happens, however, a lot of anxious hunting takes place. Do you
      know the joy when two such people finally find each other? It ain't
      slight! While one says "Thank God I found you!" the other is
      saying, "But I was looking for you, too, EVERYWHERE!" There is a
      great common blessing in such moments, one which far transcends the
      anxiety of the search which preceded it.

      That's how it is with God. While we are seeking Him, even BEFORE we
      are seeking Him, He is seeking us. There is so much love in that searching,
      on both parts. The novice is to be examined to see if she truly seeks God.
      But the question is not just for novices. "Quaeremus inventum," said St. Augustine:
      "Let us seek Him Whom we have found." And so it goes. A monastic life done
      right has seeking and finding writ large on every page, from beginning to end.

      Angels got a bad press in the Roman Catholic world in the late 60's
      and beyond. It became fashionable to be rather scornful of such
      belief and some skeptics viewed guardian angels as only a slight step
      beyond the fairy godmothers of children's tales. Well, folks, it was
      one time they weren't on the crest of a wave. The signs of the times
      told them that emphatically when a ground swell of popularity arose
      with angels as its focus.

      To some, angels are less threatening as a concept than God. They are
      more than human, but less than divine. They share our status of being
      creatures, but they have powers beyond our ken. No wonder popular
      culture embraced them: they are a very good entry level awareness of
      something beyond, something spiritual. Whatever else they may be,
      they are real. Why waste 'em? Let them help us all they can and let
      us ask for more besides! There may be reservations among some of us
      about praying to saints, but Scripture abounds with examples of
      conversations with angels. Go for it!

      Last year about this time, a confessor recommended that I pray to
      my Guardian Angel about a problem. No one had said that to me in years! I
      took his advice, however, and love the results. Growing tired of always just
      calling on him by his generic name, I decided to give my guardian angel a name.
      I call him Hal, short for the Hebrew "hallelujah", a word I'm sure he says quite
      a lot. He seems happy enough with his new moniker! Thanks, Hal. I owe you a
      big time!!

      By the way, the Guardian Angels are the patrons of the American
      Cassinese Congregation. I know some guys who probably would have
      loved to change that during the "bad press" years. Thankfully, no one
      did! Holy Guardian Angels, pray for us!

      Message 2 of 5 , May 31, 2006
        +PAX

        Thirty-nine years ago today, I graduated from Tampa Catholic High School. Prayers, please for all the teachers and students there who changed my life forever for the better. Much of what I give you I received from them. I urge all of you to pray daily for those who taught you and, if this applies, for those you've taught. It is a practice I love very much.

        Ginny Schroeder's family thanks all who prayed for her and thank God for a real miracle of grace. On the day the novena ended, her brother, Fr. Marc, celebrated Mass at her bedside. She was able to go to Confession and receive Communion just before her able to converse and comprehend began to really slip away. Prayers, now, for her happy death, may she go straight to the arms of God, and for her family who have much to bear in this difficult time.

        Prayers for Marsha, 85, near death, and for Karsha, her daughter going to reconcile with her Mom before her death, also for Karsha's husband, Dennis, supporting his wife in her efforts to end the rift. Prayers for Spyros, HIV+ since 1986 and now has had a heart attack brought on by his meds, also for his financial straits, as he worries about paying his medical costs. His heart attack coincided with the date of his Dad's last illness, and that has troubled him, too.

        Prayers for Kevin, back from Iraq, but not at all himself. So many suffer so much after seeing all that horror. Prayers for them all and their loved ones! Prayers for James, gambling addiction that he has not been able to break so far, despite repeated attempts, and for his loving Mom, Ronnie and all their family. Prayers for Tara, the young woman we prayed for in ICU with chicken pox virus. She has gone to God. prayers for her happy death and eternal rest and for all who mourn her.

[...]

        assigns angels to us!) is reduced to the lackluster charm of a security camera,
[...]

        conversations with angels, a comforting assurance for our Protestant readers.
        Go for it!

        A couple of years ago, a confessor recommended that I pray to
        my Guardian Angel about a problem. No one had said that to me in years! I
        took his advice, however, and love the results. Growing tired of always just
        calling on him generically, I decided to give my guardian angel a name.

        Message 3 of 5 , May 30, 2007
          +PAX

          Prayers, please, for Paul, 23, and Caitlyn, 19, he was killed and she was seriously injured (and is in a coma,) when their taxi was struck by a car in a high speed chase. Prayers for their families and friends, and for Paul's happy death and eternal rest. Prayers, too, for their taxi driver, lightly injured, and for the State Trooper who gave high speed chase in this residential area, also for Javier, who struck their taxi while fleeing.

          Prayers, please, for Phyllis, just diagnosed with a malignant inoperable brain tumor. Prayers for Nicole, hysterectomy with potential for complications today, and for her worried parents, Michael and Genny, and all her family. Prayers for Judy, a shut-in who had to be taken to the emergency room today, and thanks for Harry, who went along to comfort her. Prayers for Dot, breast cancer and facing a mastectomy, also for Billy, whom we prayed for when his bladder cancer was treated. He has now been diagnosed with prostate cancer. Prayers for Linda, who asked prayers for them and for all their family.

          Forty years ago today, I graduated from Tampa Catholic High School. Prayers, please for all the teachers and students there who changed my life forever for the better. Much of what I give you I received from them. I urge all of you to pray daily for those who taught you and, if this applies, for those you've taught. It is a practice I love very much. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

          slight! While one says "Thank heavens I found you!" the other is
[...]

          us ask for more besides! There may be reservations among some of our
          readers about praying to saints, but Scripture abounds with examples of
          conversations with angels, a comforting assurance for our Protestant readers.
          Go for it!

          A couple of years ago, a confessor recommended that I pray to
          my Guardian Angel about a problem. No one had said that to me in years! I
          took his advice, however, and loved the results. Growing tired of always just

          Message 4 of 5 , May 30, 2016

            +PAX

            Father Dunstan’s father, Ian, seems to be dying, perhaps in the next 24-36 hours. Prayers for his happy death  and for Father Dunstan and all their family.

            Prayers for B, 18, she is 4 months pregnant and plans to abort her baby on June 8th. Prayers she changes her mind and saves her baby.

            Forty-nine years ago today, I graduated from Tampa Catholic High School. Prayers, please for all the teachers and students there who changed my life forever for the better. Much of what I give you I received from them. I urge all of you to pray daily for those who taught you and your classmates and, if this applies, for those you've taught. It is a practice I love very much.

            Prayers for Christina, that the tumor in her eye is not cancerous, her chances of survival are less than 1% if it is, and she has three young sons who need her. She had cancer before, but was doing well, and now this and another tumor in her neck. Prayers for all her family, too.

            Prayers for Encarnita, having medical tests on Tuesday, that all results may be good.

            Prayers for Martha, on her 80th birthday, graces galore and many more! Ad multos annos!

            Prayers for Carol and Joey, on their 34th wedding anniversary. Many more years and blessings for them! Ad multos annos!

            Prayers for Mary, who has terminal cancer, for her happy death, for all her family and all who will mourn her.

            Prayers for the eternal rest of Thomas, 20, and for all his family, especially his Mom, and for all who mourn him.

            Deo gratias and prayers of thanks for Lola, who made her Final Oblation with sacred Heart Monastery, Yankton, South Dakota. Many more years in God’s service, ad multos annos!

            Please pray for Vanessa's brother. He had treatment for stage 4 thyroid cancer, but it came back in his lungs.

            Continued prayers for Fr. Vern’s healing, still very ill in ICU, but making bits of progress.

            Prayers of healing for John Michael Talbot, who suffered a large hearing loss, he badly needs his hearing for his ministries of speaking and music.

            Lord, help us all as You know and
            Him! Thanks so much. JL

            The second degree of humility
            is that a person love not his own will
            nor take pleasure in satisfying his desires,
            but model his actions on the saying of the Lord,
            "I have come not to do My own will,
            but the will of Him who sent Me" (John 6:38).
            It is written also,
            "Self-will has its punishment,
            but constraint wins a crown."

            REFLECTION

            Occasionally, I have looked after someone else's pet. I tried to
            remember how much it means to me when someone looks after my cat.
            I know I tried to be much more careful than I usually am about many things.
            That pet is someone's treasure and I have been trusted. I don't goof off! I
            take extra care.

            See what I'm getting at? Caring for another's pet done right is an
            example of coming not to do one's own will, but the will of one who
            sent us. Monastic life done right would be looking at the whole of
            our world, life and endeavor as pet care for God. Again and again, from the
            greatest things in life to the smallest, He entrusts us with the care
            of the apples of His eyes.

            That extra care that one would take of a pet or, even more so, a
            child one had been asked to watch, is the attitude we should have to
            everything. This is mindfulness in the highest order. This is what
            happens when the will we are obeying is Someone else's, not our own.
            We take extra care with the things of God because they are His, not
            our own.

            Of course, the ultimate truth is that this step points to the fact
            that NOTHING is really our own, everything is God's. We "own" nothing
            in the absolute sense, that is, with the freedom to dispense or waste
            or expend or destroy it with no responsibility at all for the common
            good. Christians "own" things in stewardship for the good of all.

            It may take all of our lives to realize it fully, but we are ALL
            doing pet care for God, all the time, nothing less and nothing more!
            And God, like a pet owner or parent who entrusts dear ones
            to another, loves our carefulness very much and treasures us deeply!
            How deep is our love for one who cares for someone we love, but
            deeper still, infinitely so, is the love of God in this respect. Ah, the warmth
            of His smile at such times!

            Message 5 of 5 , May 30

              +PAX

              Prayers for the eternal rest of our Sr. Mary Paula’s Mom, Marjorie, 92, and for Sr. Mary Paula and all her family and for all who mourn her Mom.

              Prayers for the eternal rest of Fr. Richard K., an Oblate, and for all his family and all who mourn him.

              Fifty years ago today, I graduated from Tampa Catholic High School. Prayers, please for all the teachers and students there who changed my life forever for the better. Much of what I give you I received from them. I urge all of you to pray daily for those who taught you and your schoolmates and, if this applies, for those you've taught. It is a practice I love very much.

              Prayers for Carol and Joey, on their 35th wedding anniversary. Many more years and blessings for them! Ad multos annos!

              Prayers for Lola, on the first anniversary of her Final Oblation for Sacred Heart Monastery, Yankton, South Dakota.

              Prayers that the other party in William’s accident, who fled the scene, will come forward ​and receive justice.

              Prayers that N. will stop being avaricious.

              Prayers for healing for Terry's back, for which she doesn't want surgery until absolutely necessary. She is learning to live with constant pain.