Holy Rule for May 25

    Message 1 of 5 , May 25, 2005

      Prayers for our Father Bede, on his feastday, and for all our Bedes out there. Alas, there is no news about Father Maurus, who was novicemaster to both our Fathers Anselm and Bede.

      Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for Francisco, 95, who went peacefully home to God, and for Erin, just graduated from college, for her discernment and for her proud parents, Gerry and Eva. Prayers for Louise and her daughters, one sister is giving a kidney to the other, and for all their worried family and friends. Prayers for Steve, who died with complications from AIDS. His Eastern Orthodox parents and priest are denying him a Christian burial, also for Jimmi, his friend, who is terribly distraught, withdrawn and possibly suicidal with grief. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      January 24, May 25, September 24
      Chapter 6: On the Spirit of Silence

      Let us do what the Prophet says:
      "I said, 'I will guard my ways,
      that I may not sin with my tongue.
      I have set a guard to my mouth.'
      I was mute and was humbled,
      and kept silence even from good things" (Ps. 38:2-3).
      Here the Prophet shows
      that if the spirit of silence ought to lead us at times
      to refrain even from good speech,
      so much the more ought the punishment for sin
      make us avoid evil words.

      Therefore, since the spirit of silence is so important,
      permission to speak should rarely be granted
      even to perfect disciples,
      even though it be for good, holy edifying conversation;
      for it is written,
      "In much speaking you will not escape sin" (Prov. 10:19),
      and in another place,
      "Death and life are in the power of the tongue" (Prov. 18:21).

      For speaking and teaching belong to the mistress;
      the disciple's part is to be silent and to listen.
      And for that reason
      if anything has to be asked of the Superior,
      it should be asked
      with all the humility and submission inspired by reverence.

      But as for coarse jests and idle words
      or words that move to laughter,
      these we condemn everywhere with a perpetual ban,
      and for such conversation
      we do not permit a disciple to open her mouth.

      REFLECTION

      Words, even kind words, are not always a blessing. In the absence of
      silence, basically meaningless rituals of speech may actually serve
      as distancers, shorthand acknowledgement of the other(s) with the
      unspoken agreement that "Sufficient attention has been paid, now
      leave me alone!" I'm not saying all such rituals are empty, they
      aren't, but most of us have a few that really could be examined.

      When we are alone is the best and easiest time to cultivate silence.
      Turn off the car radio, temporarily (or even permanently!) kill your
      television. Switch on the answer phone and turn the volume down.
      Examine all the areas where you have added noise you truly do not
      need. Why? Because noise is usually added as distraction, and
      distraction is what the monastic doesn't want. Even boredom- another
      reason we add noise- can be trotted out under its old monastic name
      of "accidie" and teach us lots. In the desert of boredom, one can
      confront the lackluster self! No wonder we don't like it!

      Some family church experimentation might be possible, but NEVER push
      others into your choice of monastic style. It will do them and you a
      great disservice. Anything attempted here must be done with consent
      of all and without being doctrinaire, especially if there are
      children involved. Do you really want to run the Villa von Trapp the
      way the Captain did?? I hope not...

      With those precautions, here's a suggestion or two for family/spouse
      silence. You might try a sort of "grand silence" in the morning, say
      just until after the first cup of coffee or so. This would be welcome
      to many who'd just as soon not speak in the AM anyhow. But don't
      leave it at silence. Remember those ritual phrases of affection or
      acknowledgment I spoke about? Learn to do them without words, with
      the eyes, with a smile, with a touch.

      Married Benedictines often err in the translation of monastic styles
      into their own lives on the side of celibacy. Hey, all Benedictines
      include a LOT of married people. For them, the celibate restraint is
      removed. An affectionate kiss or caress without words can often
      convey volumes of love that a cliched "Good morning, dear." does not.
      We can blush at our own emotions, use words to cover them and our own
      embarrassment. Try- for however brief a time- to express all you feel
      without words. I think you'll be impressed.

      With children involved, great care must be taken and often silence
      foresworn altogether. Always remember that one's children and spouse
      have a higher moral claim on one's vocation than Oblation does. The
      will of God will come to you more clearly through your marriage or
      parenthood than it will from any secondary source, including the Holy
      Rule.

      If, and only if, children are willing to enter into a period of
      silence each day, for them, make it short. We are dealing, as you
      well know, with antsy kids and short attention spans. They're
      SUPPOSED to be that way: respect it. Suggestion? What about 5 minutes
      of taped reading at dinner? What about doing the cleanup in silence
      with smiles? What about trying either just for Lent?

      Be prepared for your efforts to fail. Not everyone can do these
      things. If the experiment doesn't work, DROP IT at once. Never, ever
      force your own vocation down the throats of others. Always remember
      that there is great asceticism in the acceptance of noise we wish we
      could avoid. Always remember that there is a hermitage of deep peace
      and serenity in every heart, but you must build it with God's help.

      Message 2 of 5 , May 25, 2006

        Prayers for our Fr. Bede and all our Bedes on their feastday. Blessings and graces ad multos annos, for many years! Prayers, too for all communities whose patronal feast is today.

        Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias and praise for John, celebrating the 20th anniversary of his baptism in the Holy Spirit today. He was making his Cursillo at the time, so a double anniversary. John strives to pass his own gifts on to others and succeeds in doing so! Prayers for Carol and her Mom, as Carol learns to navigate a large RV (residential vehicle, motor home) on their journey,. and for Carol's Mom, who is having some conflicted issues to deal with just now. Prayers for one considering a move to Roman Catholicism and a monastic vocation. Lord, help us as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        unspoken agreement that "Sufficient, token attention has been paid, now
        leave me alone!" I'm not saying all such rituals are empty, they
        aren't, but most of us have a few that really could be examined.

        When we are alone is the best and easiest time to cultivate silence.
        Turn off the car radio, temporarily (or even permanently!) kill your
        television. Switch on the answer phone and turn the volume down.
        Examine all the areas where you have added noise you truly do not
        need.

        Why? Because noise is usually added as distraction, and
        distraction is what the monastic doesn't want. We don't want our focus
        scattered, because our work is to be looking at the very unlovely things
        in our deepest self that distraction helps us deny or ignore. We have a
        lifelong self-scrutiny and that requires a lot of dumping the stuff people
        generally employ to avoid such truthful self-confrontation.

        Message 3 of 5 , May 24, 2007

          Prayers for our Fr. Bede, and all our Bede's, on their feastday. Graces and blessings and many more, ad multos annos. Prayers for Dave, beginning a new phase of his professional career, that the fullness of God's will and grace may bless his ministry of teaching others to teach the Faith.

          Prayers for Arnie, ALS/Lou Gehrig's disease, for his wife, Anne, and for Karen, to whom he is very much a second father. Prayers for Gail, who will undergo breast cancer surgery on June 5. Prayers for her physical cleansing as well as the emotional strength to see her through this trying ordeal. Prayers for ML, early Parkinson's disease, and for Stan, elevated PSA and needing a prostate biopsy.

          Prayers, too, for Dave, who yesterday was diagnosed with a blood clot on his lung, having just overcome a bout of pneumonia last week. Prayers for his healing and for the well-being of his wife and children. Prayers for Diana, major life transitions, and that she will overcome her depression and exhaustion with strength and patience. Doug, for whom we prayed, is home now, but still must have antibiotics IV, continued prayers for his recovery, and Deo gratias, too! Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

          convey volumes of love that a clichéd "Good morning, dear." does not.

          Message 4 of 5 , May 24, 2008

            Prayers, please, for the following:

            Fr. Bede, and all our Bedes, on their patronal feast.
            Chris, a young father who is experiencing unknown head pain and for his wife Karen.

            Marie a elderly lady who is under hospice care and for her daughter Penny who is ill.

            The soul of Elizabeth who died this week and for her family who mourn her, for her happy death and eternal rest.

            Deo gratias, Monica, whose cancer we prayed for a while ago, seems to be in first stages of remission.

            Deo gratias, Deniis, whose phone interview went well now has a face-to-face scheduled for June.

            Prayers for Ella, 5, inoperable brain stem tumor, and for her distraught parents and family.

            Lisa, ovarian cancer for 14 years and is now in hospice; and for her husband Billy who is deeply suffering at the pending loss of his beloved spouse. And for Ralph, their Hospice Chaplain, for strength to minister according to the wishes and will of our Father in heaven during Lisa's final days.