Holy Rule for May 21

    Message 1 of 6 , May 21, 2005
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for Debbie and her husband, who died of ALS last year, and for their two teenaged children. Extra prayers for Debbie, as now her car has been stolen. Sometimes God seems to heap things upon us, but He will never, ever give us a load we cannot bear, not deny us the strength to do so, but we must ask for that grace. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      Message 2 of 6 , May 21, 2006
        +PAX

        Prayers, please, for Sara, biopsy for masses on her lung and kidney. She has been helping people displaced and homeless by Hurricane Katrina and now is ill herself, prayers for all her family and for the doctors who treat her and all of our prayer intention folks. Prayers for T. and her son, J. He is having some problems his mother is not being let in on, generally unhappy and angry, unable to see his talents. Prayers that his Mom and family will know how to help. Prayers for one whom God may have positioned to form a phone support group for those wrestling with sexual temptations. May the work be God's and may He bring it to bear much fruit! Prayers for Matthew, in Iraq, and for his brother, Christopher, some wild oats issues and for their Mom, faithful and worried about them both.

        Prayers of Deo gratias and thanksgiving for three jubilarians, Sr. Celine, (95 and still active!) 75 years, Sr. Laurence, 60 years and Sr. Benedict, 50 years professed. Thanks be to God for all their gifts to Christ and His Church! Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

        To fear the Day of Judgment.
        To be in dread of hell.
        To desire eternal life with all the passion of the spirit.
        To keep death daily before one's eyes.
        To keep constant guard over the actions of one's life.
        To know for certain that God sees one everywhere.
        When evil thoughts come into one's heart, to dash them against Christ
        immediately.
        And to manifest them to one's spiritual mother.
        To guard one's tongue against evil and depraved speech.
        Not to love much talking.
        Not to speak useless words or words that move to laughter.
        Not to love much or boisterous laughter.
        To listen willingly to holy reading.
        To devote oneself frequently to prayer.
        Daily in one's prayers, with tears and sighs, to confess one's past
        sins to God, and to amend them for the future.
        Not to fulfill the desires of the flesh; to hate one's own will.
        To obey in all things the commands of the Abbess, even though she
        herself (which God forbid) should act otherwise, mindful of the
        Lord's precept, "Do what they say, but not what they do."
        Not to wish to be called holy before one is holy; but first to be
        holy, that one may be truly so called.

        REFLECTION

        Why manifest one's evil thoughts to a spiritual mother or father?
        Heavens, many in communions that practice Confession have trouble
        enough stammering out our sins with a generic mention of evil
        thoughts, let alone a detailed description of them!

        By the time he wrote this, St. Benedict had no doubt listened to a
        LOT of monastics' confess their evil thoughts. He knew the carefree,
        breezy generalities of those who lacked depth and he also knew the
        excruciating details of the scrupulous, who had too much depth! What
        he must have had to listen to in those years! Why on earth would he
        recommend a practice so difficult for both the father and the
        disciple?

        Because it works, as AA and other Twelve Step members could readily
        tell you. It offers an outside, objective opinion, a more impartial
        estimation of one's progress or lack thereof and a chance to give
        pertinent advice in the struggle.

        You can also get a fairly good barometer of where a person's struggles
        are focused by knowing where she is tempted. Satan does not waste time
        and effort, he does not duplicate services. If you are doing a wonderful job
        of running yourself to hell on a rail in a given area, you can be pretty sure
        he'll leave you alone. Remember, there are the world and the flesh to
        help him out. The devil delegates to one or the other!

        Some of our evil thoughts DO come from us, and these may be very
        informative, but others do not, and these also, give a better picture
        of where we actually are. Real assaults of Satan that are terribly
        noticeable usually come at a time when we are progressing. (Of
        course, there are subtle ones day in, day out, but the biggies
        usually mean we're doing SOMETHING right!) Hideous temptations
        are often a good sign, not a bad one: they can mean our progress has
        riled up the devil's anger.

        AA knew they were offering a spiritual program of recovery to people
        from all faiths, as well as to people of no religious background.
        They knew some Churches had one-on-one confession, others did not, so
        they included it in the 12 steps, stating that each must make known
        to oneself, to God AND to another "the exact nature" of their wrongs.
        Heavy stuff, there, but why?

        Because God, wonderful though He is, often seems not talk back, or if
        He does, to speak indirectly in ways that many of us miss. Because we
        cannot tell from our own inventory what another person can tell us
        about ourselves: we're too close to the subject to be objective!

        AA just requires a one-time shot, what Catholics would call
        a "general Confession" of all one's past sins. Many people dread it,
        but I have never heard anyone come away from the experience without
        praise for it. What a weight was lifted from them!

        Our fears and shame are so terrible when they are horrible secrets to
        us alone. They paralyze us, wholly or partially, but they ALWAYS impede us.
        Break that panicky isolation, tell the worst and, finding that your
        listener has at least not dropped dead of shock, you are on the
        way to learning something wonderfully necessary. None of us are
        hopeless, none of us are unlovable (or unloved!)

        Especially when we are in the beginnings of monastic life or
        recovery, we can look at others and think they have non-stick, Teflon
        souls, that we are the horrible ones. There's a certain perverted
        form of pride going on that tells us no one could be as wicked as we
        have been.

        Not true at all! (Sinful pride, perverted or otherwise, never is
        true!) It is inestimably wonderful to find that out. If we fail to hear that
        message, many would succumb to the devil's tool which is far more
        effective than many: discouragement. We would sigh and walk away.

        For all of our Oblates who come from Christian traditions that do not
        practice individual confession, I recommend it- so does St. Benedict!
        If AA members can feel so freed and cleansed and uplifted by one
        shot, think what a regular dose of such reality could do for one!

        A word of caution, however, for those to whom such confession is new.
        AA does not recommend that you spill your sins out to just anyone.
        It can take time to find the right person. I firmly believe in the
        sacrament of Confession, yet there are priests I would never dream of
        confessing to unless I was really at death's door or had no other choice!

        I often like to walk into a large church and just ask the Holy Spirit to send me
        the right priest. This can be a bit of a lottery, but it has worked well
        for me. On the other hand, just because one's local pastor is local
        does NOT make him or her an automatic great choice. Follow your heart
        and ask God to guide you!

          Message 4 of 6 , May 20, 2008
            +PAX

            Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of Tessa, a young 23 year old who took her own life last week-end and for her family, particularly for her Grandmother who is in hospital and will be unable to be with the family at this hard time.

            Prayers, please, for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their loved ones and all who treat or care for them:

            Deo gratias, Stephen, for whom we prayed, has had confirmation of a posting in Copenhagen for two years starting later this year, and for his grateful parents.

[...]

            Mike, who has a huge kidney
            stone. Also, prayers that the relationship between
            his son and him may be resolved.

            Deo gratias, prayers for Kathy, have been answered.....her
            cancer is not as bad as first thought!! Please keep
            her in your prayers, as she must undergo surgery, and
            they aren't sure what will happen then.

            Message 5 of 6 , May 20, 2016

              +PAX

              Deo gratias and continued ardent prayers: Fr. Tom Uznunnalil, the Indian Salesian priest kidnapped by extremists in March, is alive and close to being released, according to Indian government officials.

              Prayers for Brycen, a high school student with brain cancer, and for his parents, family, and doctors.

              Prayers for Kevin, terminal cancer, for his happy death and for all who will mourn him.

              Prayers for the eternal rest of Bob and Laurain, and that their daughter and her siblings may find peace.

              Please pray for Barbara G., an Oblate. She had a stroke this morning. She is able to speak but her right arm is limp. She has already been in a wheelchair for some time and lives at an assisted living facility.

              Prayers also for two Oblates who are fighting breast cancer, and another with intestinal problems

              David N. has asked for prayers for strength in prayer and perseverance as he faces spiritual challenges.

              Prayers for Sue and a parish pilgrimage to Prinknash Abbey tomorrow, to cross the threshold of the Mercy Door and immerse themselves ever more deeply in God's mercy in this special Jubilee Year. May this pilgrimage bear fruitful flowering in their parish.

[...]

              excruciating details of the scrupulous, who had too much to tell. What
[...]

              of where we actually are. A handy rule of thumb is that if a thought
              distresses you, upsets you, you likely did not will it. Try to let it
              go and be done with it. The fact that we are upset often means the thought
              did not come from us, we wouldn't care otherwise. Offer a quick prayer,

              My Jesus, save me! Offer a prayer of praise for the Divine Mercy, St.

              Faustina said the devil flees at praise of the Divine Mercy, that he cannot

              stand it. I have found this to be very true.

              Real assaults of Satan that are terribly
              noticeable usually come at a time when we are progressing. (Of
              course, there are subtle ones day in, day out, but the biggies
              usually mean we're doing SOMETHING right!) Hideous temptations
              are often a good sign, not a bad one: they can mean our progress has
              riled up the devil's anger. If we stop and look at some of those hideous
              temptations, to blasphemy, for instance, we can clearly see that they are
              not like us, not from us. Horrible thoughts that we would never dream of
              seriously thinking come from the Evil One.

              AA knew they were offering a spiritual program of recovery to people
              from all faiths, as well as to people of no religious background.
              They knew some Churches had one-on-one confession, others did not, so
              they included it in the 12 steps, stating that each must make known
              to oneself, to God AND to another "the exact nature" of their wrongs.
              Heavy stuff, there, but why?

              Because God, wonderful though He is, often seems not to talk back, or if
              He does, to speak indirectly in ways that many of us miss. Because we
              cannot tell from our own inventory what another person can tell us
              about ourselves: we're too close to the subject to be objective!

              Our fears and shame are so terrible when they are horrible secrets to
              us alone. They paralyze us, wholly or partially, but they ALWAYS impede us.
              Break that panicky isolation, tell the worst and, finding that your
              listener has at least not dropped dead of shock, you are on the
              way to learning something wonderfully necessary. None of us are
              hopeless, none of us are unlovable (or unloved!)

              For all of our Oblates who come from Christian traditions that do not
              practice individual confession, I recommend it- so does St. Benedict!
              Think what a regular dose of such reality could do for one!

              Religious Confession, however, is an obligation for Catholics. Finding a regular
              confessor may take time, but one cannot hold off confessing in the meantime.
              Pray to the Holy Spirit to find the right priest for you. Ask God to use the
              priest's lips to speak to you. I can't tell you how many times I have made this
              last prayer and had it richly answered. God does use His priests. Go to
              Confession, you will be glad you did!