Holy Rule for May 17

    Message 1 of 7 , May 17 5:27 AM

      The official search for Fr. Maurus has been called off, he is presumed to be dead. Please pray that someone will somehow find his body.

      Prayers, please, for Francis, wheelchair-bound with arthritis, for Richard, terminal cancer, for Virginia, depression and severe family problems, and Barbara, glaucoma and diabetes. Prayers, too, for all our troops in Iraq and for all in harm's way there that they be kept safe, for peace in our troubled world. Prayers for the repose of the souls of Michael Ross, executed in Connecticut last week, Walter and Fr. Daly, and for Walter's widow, Alice, and all who mourn for these folks. Prayers for Maura Kay, back surgery today, for a mother and daughter with serious problems between them, also for a couple adopting a baby, prayers for Trisha, still recovering and trying to get back to work, though it is hard for her, and for David, soon to face life in the world again. Deo gratias! Shirley's move went well and prayers really strengthened her. A further Deo gratias for the birth of Katlyn, for her proud parents and happy pastor! Two months premature, Katlyn will have to stay in the hospital for a while, but is doing well. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much, JL

      Whenever any important business has to be done
      in the monastery,
      let the Abbot call together the whole community
      and state the matter to be acted upon.
      Then, having heard the brethren's advice,
      let him turn the matter over in his own mind
      and do what he shall judge to be most expedient.
      The reason we have said that all should be called for counsel
      is that the Lord often reveals to the younger what is best.

      Let the brethren give their advice
      with all the deference required by humility,
      and not presume stubbornly to defend their opinions;
      but let the decision rather depend on the Abbot's judgment,
      and all submit to whatever he shall decide for their welfare.

      However, just as it is proper
      for the disciples to obey their master,
      so also it is his function
      to dispose all things with prudence and justice.

      REFLECTION

      This whole reflection and chapter has many, many applications to
      family life. (Except that parents are not elected!) Otherwise, it all is very apt
      to a family!

      We elect our abbots, which may make obedience a bit easier for us
      than living under an appointed superior, but we are not a pure
      democracy. This is so hard for Americans in particular to learn, let
      alone value!! In terms of civil government comparisons, we may not be
      an absolute autocracy, but we are far from a constitutionally diluted
      monarchy! The abbot has a lot of power In fact, in most cases, he
      has, as this chapter indicates, the last word.

      St. Benedict was far too wise to leave all power to an elective
      community. That would frustrate any abbot's efforts to upgrade the
      life of his flock. Monastics tend to resist change, let alone reform.
      They'd simply vote him down and be done with it. Communities, like
      St. Peter, must sometimes be girded by another and led where they
      would not go! Pure democracy would make that impossible.

      There is a great reminder in this chapter that either the community
      or the abbot can be wrong. That is so important for both to remember.
      Indeed, if either forgets that fact, the danger to humility is
      extreme and we are nothing if not humble. There is also the lesson
      here of mutual respect. Even though the abbot actually has the
      authority to ignore the community's suggestions, he is bidden to ask
      for input and receive it with prudence and justice, neither terrified
      by every passing whim of the group nor terrifying them with every
      passing whim of his own!

      So, if you will, the concept of mutual obedience and fraternal love
      and respect is writ large over the whole of this chapter. Letting
      anyone have that much power is scary if the group as a whole is not
      constrained to virtue, but we are. Sure, the ideal can be failed, we
      are human, but the ideal is there and it is under the conditions of
      that ideal that so much is entrusted with faith to the abbot.

      Message 2 of 7 , May 17 6:12 AM

        Prayers, please, for Br. Paschal of Pluscarden on his feast day and all our Paschals. May grace and blessings be theirs!

        Prayers for Jan, on the first anniversary of her death, for her husband and children, her best friend Cheryl, and all who mourn her. May a happy death and eternal rest be hers! Prayers for Justin, 20, struggling with some personal issues, and for all his family, especially his Dad and grandmother. Prayers for Harry and his wife, expecting their second child in a couple of months.

        Prayers for the many folks in New England forced by flooding from their homes, the worst flood in nearly 70 years. We have been spared here, but many to the north and east of us are in serious trouble. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        appropriate for a family!

[...]

        for input. He is asked to receive it with prudence and justice, neither terrified
        by every passing whim of the group nor terrifying them with every
        passing whim of his own!

        So, if you will, the concept of mutual obedience and fraternal love
        and respect is writ large over the whole of this chapter. Letting
        anyone have that much power is scary if the group as a whole is not
        constrained to virtue, but we are. Sure, the ideal can be failed, we
        are human, but the ideal is there and it is under the conditions of
        that ideal that so much is entrusted with faith to the abbot.

        Though St. Benedict states we should never obey commands against God's law,
        every other instance demands our obedience and respect. We may think the
        Abbot is wrong and, humanly speaking, he might be, but we can never lose by
        obedience. Indeed, quite the reverse: we harm ourselves terribly by obstinately
        clinging to our own will and resisting.

        Message 3 of 7 , May 16 4:27 PM

          Prayers for our Br. Paschal of Pluscarden on his feastday, and for all our Paschals. May God fill them with graces and blessings.

          Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of Crispin, brother of our Fr. Giles, for Fr. Giles and all their family. Crispin will be buried on Friday. Prayers for Evan, newly confirmed, and for Pam, his Mom, and all his family. Prayers for Virginia, special intention, and for the happy death and eternal rest of Arthur and for all who mourn him. Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of J.

          HUGE Deo gratias, Suzanne, 47, for whom we prayed after her heart attack has astounded her medical team: tests reveal the part of her heart thought to dead to have become alive again. They may be baffled, but we shouldn't be: praise God!

          Prayers for C., making a walk to benefit liver cancer research, and for all the walkers. For the happy death and eternal rest of Andy, 27, killed in Iraq and for his Dad, Andy, Sr., and all their family and all who mourn him. Prayers for Onowa, 3 months pregnant and suffered a brain hemorrhage, prognosis still uncertain, and for all her worried family and friends. Little Ellie, for whom we prayed, is already back in school, only 13 days after her heart surgery. Deo gratias!! Monica, whom we also prayed for, will have surgery to remove two colon masses, one of them cancerous, on Friday, prayers for her and her doctors and family. Prayers for all those who treat and care for all our prayer folks. Deo gratias for Will, who has found a new home and parish to move into. Prayers for LR, declining health, may the return of dogs to his home cheer his outlook and brighten his health. Prayers for Felicia, still having to pay off a car that died while being forced to buy another one, since driving is necessary for her work and home.

          Message 4 of 7 , May 16 6:17 AM

            For a young man, father of two, going into drug re-hab program for third time and for his mother who is caring for the children and praying that this time he will begin recovery.

            Rod, trapped in a subway and claustrophobic, panic attacks. God is outside time: we can pray for him when he was stuck there.

            Br. Paschal, on his feastday. Ad multos annos, many more!

            Message 5 of 7 , May 16 5:58 PM

              I sent May 17 yesterday by accident. This is May 16th's, to catch up.

              Prayers, please, for the eternal rest of Fr. Vladimir, 57, history of depression, he committed suicide, and for all his family, parishiners and all who mourn him.

              Prayers for the eternal rest of Fr. Maurus, OSB, of Pluscarden Abbey, 93. He disappeared taking a walk, nine years ago this month. His body was never found. Prayers for his Community, family and all who mourn him.

              Prayers for Lisa, who  has MERRF. Her gastro system is shutting down and needs a bypass; but because of the disease label, the doctors are not doing anything. Please pray that they not give up on her.

              Prayers for Martha F., very ill.

              Lord, help us all as You know
              praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

              Above all let her not neglect or undervalue
              the welfare of the souls committed to her,
              in a greater concern for fleeting, earthly, perishable things;
              but let her always bear in mind
              that she has undertaken the government of souls
              and that she will have to give an account of them.

              And if she be tempted to allege a lack of earthly means,
              let her remember what is written:
              "First seek the kingdom of God and His justice,
              and all these things shall be given you besides" (Ps. 33:10).
              And again:
              "Nothing is wanting to those who fear Him."

              Let her know, then,
              that she who has undertaken the government of souls
              must prepare herself to render an account of them.
              Whatever number of sisters she knows she has under her care,
              she may be sure beyond doubt that on Judgment Day
              she will have to give the Lord an account of all these souls,
              as well as of her own soul.

              Thus the constant apprehension
              about her coming examination as shepherd (Ezech. 34)
              concerning the sheep entrusted to her,
              and her anxiety over the account that must be given for others,
              make her careful of her own record.
              And while by her admonitions she is helping others to amend,
              she herself is cleansed of her faults.

              REFLECTION

              Four times in this portion alone, St. Benedict reminds those in
              authority that theirs is a government "of souls." No wonder material
              things are not to be put first. Nothing fleeting at all must come
              before the souls of those we care for, whether abbess or parent or
              teacher or nurse. Our own souls are intricately linked with the
              welfare of those we govern or care for or serve. (BTW, ideally, in
              St. Benedict's model of authority, all three functions of ruling,
              loving and serving are present at all times. Lofty goal that!)

              It's easy to forget that this reading covers a lot more than material
              things. All things perishable, empty and earthly are included, even if more
              detailed coverage is given to the material ones. It is a sad truth
              that we often congratulate ourselves for avoiding one fault while falling
              headlong into another.

              "What would people say?" is a question sometimes necessary, but all
              too often it becomes an idol on its own. That's when trouble ensues.
              As with material things, there is a certain BALANCED (getting sick of
              that word? Welcome to Benedictine values!) concern for appearances
              here. We bear a responsibility, as any parent could tell you, for the
              material welfare of the bodies those souls we govern run around in,
              and we have to be careful of some appearances that would cause
              scandal, but there it stops.

              The parent or superior who can give an example of courage in the face
              of false values to their charges has given an inestimable gift,
              indeed. A wise person can contrast the nagging question of "What
              would people think?" with "What are they entitled to think? Have we
              all not an obligation to think the best of others?"

              A parent or superior with a
              genuine sense of what is real can make their charges see reality,
              too. It is always a gift to see reality, because reality is truth
              and Jesus said: "I am the truth." God IS Truth, and every fragment of
              truth we garner on this strange, checkered journey of life will make Him
              instantly more familiar to us when we meet Him face to face.

              Message 6 of 7 , May 17 5:50 PM

                Prayers for Pamela and for the eternal rest of her son, 21, found dead this morning, died in his sleep of unknown causes, and for his grandmother, Louise, his aunt and all his family and all who mourn him.

                Jah and his village, they need Bibles.

                Prayers for Sr. Mary Herbert, of St Scholastica Priory, Petersham MA, celebrating 81 years of her profession as a nun. Deo gratias!

                Prayers for Jan, on the 9th anniversary of her death, and for all who mourn her.

                Prayers for Brian, on the anniversary of his Oblation.

                Lord, help us all as You know and will.
                Thanks so much. JL

                But if anyone should presume to do so,
                At the same time,
                and in observance of the Rule,
                knowing that beyond a doubt
                to God, the most just Judge.

                be of lesser importance,
                It is written,
                "Do everything with counsel,

                This reading completes the chapter and offers us the capstone to the
                grace and beauty of St. Benedict's government. The Abbot "should do
                all things in the fear of God." Give just a brief shot at applying
                that to all Cardinals, Bishops, and Pastors, as well as parents, bosses
                and all the laity. What a different world we would have!

                Abbot Charles Mohr of St. Leo used to say: "Keep the Holy Rule and
                the Rule will keep you." How true that is! If an Abbot acts in the
                fear of God, his community can be united in pride behind him, even
                decades later. In 1908, when Florida was still a hotbed of Ku Klux
                Klan activity, both racist and anti-Catholic, Abbot Charles accepted
                George Miller, a black man who had applied to enter the monastery.

                He ignored the threat that predictably came in the mail, and stood
                firm. Though George, of his own will, did not stay, he was welcome in
                Abbot Charles' eyes, a brother in Christ. Abbot Charles' actions
                preached that to any willing to listen, as well as to quite a few who
                were not!

                Abbot Francis, St. Leo's second Abbot, was born in Bavaria and fluent
                in German. In World War II, when POW camps in Florida began to fill up with
                German Catholics, Abbot Francis went calmly to minister to their sacramental
                needs, something his facility in their language made eminently
                sensible.

                Abbot Francis was no doubt the saintliest man to govern
                the Abbey thus far, and he emulated the gentle love of his patron,
                St. Francis de Sales. That gentle kindness prompted him to invite the
                German prisoners to come to the Abbey for Christmas Midnight Mass in
                1944. There were German voices singing "Silent Night" in its
                original tongue.

                Twelve days later, arson destroyed the prep school gym. Nothing could
                be proven, but many suspected the reason. Abbot Francis continued his
                ministry . He invited the POW's to come back for Easter, 1945. Two
                weeks after the Easter visit, St. Mary's Science Hall was torched.
                Abbot Francis did not budge.

                This was in war time, the community was hardly rolling in cash, they
                were building a Church and they had lost two terribly important
                components of their principal livelihood, a residential prep school
                for boys. Not only the buildings, but how many might fear to send
                their sons back to a campus of arson? What if it were a dormitory
                next time? Abbot Francis held firm. He did not protect capital or
                real estate. He protected the honor of God, period.

                The community is still very proud of him to this day, justly so. No
                one called for his ouster, because he protected things of God. That
                was a gutsy courage that none but his most implacable enemies could
                possibly hate. Do genuine, fearless good and the faithful will unite
                behind you in a formidable host.

                Abbot Francis died when I was 13. I had the inestimable privilege of
                meeting him while still in grade school and his kindness over his
                last years to me, a mere child, was touching, indeed. I was a 9 year
                old kid and an Abbot was sending me postcards when he traveled to
                give retreats.