Holy Rule for May 12

    Message 1 of 4 , May 12 6:01 AM

      Prayers, please, for Brianna, persistent infection not responding to treatment, and for Fr. Basil, ill, and Fr. Hugo, who is replacing him and serving three churches at once. Prayers for vocations to the priesthood and religious life. Prayers, too, for Brian, very depressed, both parents at home, elderly and in bad health, trouble at work, trouble at church. Poor man has a LOT on his plate. Deo gratias and thanksgiving for Marisa, who defended her doctoral dissertation successfully. Prayers for Mary, an elderly lady who suffered a bad fall. Mercifully, no broken bones! Prayers for Shirley, hit with the flu and weakness that accompanies it while she is moving to a new place this week, that she manage to get all done and regain her strength and health. Special prayers for Phyllis, terminal breast cancer which was never treated, for her sister and all her family. Prayers for Lorraine, who has died, and for another Lorraine, who did a great kindness for someone else. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      Therefore, when anyone receives the name of Abbess,
      she ought to govern her disciples with a twofold teaching.
      That is to say,
      she should show them all that is good and holy
      by her deeds even more than by her words,
      expounding the Lord's commandments in words
      to the intelligent among her disciples,
      but demonstrating the divine precepts by her actions
      for those of harder hearts and ruder minds.
      And whatever she has taught her disciples
      to be contrary to God's law,
      let her indicate by her example that it is not to be done,
      lest, while preaching to others, she herself be found reprobate (1
      Cor. 9:27),
      and lest God one day say to her in her sin,
      "Why do you declare My statutes
      and profess My covenant with your lips,
      whereas you hate discipline
      and have cast My words behind you" (Ps. 49:16-17)?
      And again,
      "You were looking at the speck in your brother's eye,
      and did not see the beam in your own" (Matt. 7:3).

      REFLECTION

      This isn't just for abbots and parents, this is for all of us.
      Example is put forward as the primary means of teaching, even before
      words. All of us must "walk the talk" and practice what we preach.
      Everyone of us is obliged to somehow uncover the splendor of the City
      of God in our lives, to show it to others. Mere verbal description
      will be of little help in comparison to actually living out the
      vision.

      I remember many of my parents' words, we all do. When I am really
      trying to gauge my behavior according to their standards, however, it
      is not usually words that I hear in my mind. I see how they would
      have acted in a given situation. A little video clip plays in my mind
      of Dad or Mom in my shoes. If their behavior shames me at my own
      planned response, I usually try to follow their plan of action, not
      mine. Like everyone, however, I am not perfect and do not always
      choose the higher road that imaginary video shows me. Sad...

      All of us put forward an image of who we are in words, one way or
      another. As years go by, we usually get a more or less complete
      picture of who we are and of the self we wish to present to the
      world. This is where family, community and marriage can be so
      important.

      The people who live with us, see right through the flaws
      in our verbal picture. It is less easy for us to believe in our grand
      images of ourselves when we are rubbing shoulders with one or more
      reality checks all the time! These reality checks can point out
      genuine greatness in areas we might not have expected, but they can
      also underscore the pathetic comedy of our pretensions.
      Both are useful for humility, both lead to truth. Those pointing out
      our flaws are no more infallible than we are, but they can often be a
      lot more objective.

      Ever watch a foreign film with the audio badly dubbed into another
      language? It is jarring and annoying. What St. Benedict is saying to
      all of us here is to get the picture and the sound into synchronized
      form. For all Christians, all Benedictines, there should be no
      disparity between video and audio! Lofty ideal that!

      St. Benedict knew that loftiness would be hard for us to reach, too.
      He knew there would be beams in our eyes, specks in others'. Hence, a
      lot of this boils down to approach and attitude. Come on to others
      from a position of "I'm OK and you are not," and see where it gets
      you. You might make a temporary dent. You might even change a few of
      the really less than bright.

      Most wise people, however, will give you a lot of room. They see the
      mask, the falsity there, and it inhibits much else from getting through to
      them. It's like really competent actors being cast in a role that does
      not fit them at all. One sits through the whole movie thinking: "No way
      can I believe that she is so-and-so!" "Great play, nice plot, but I didn't find
      the male lead credible..."

      Hopefully, at that final Awards night, there will be Tony's, Emmies
      and Oscars for all of us, with maybe a Golden Globe or two thrown
      into our totals!

      Message 2 of 4 , May 12 6:01 AM

        Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for J., no malignancy in her breast, but needing to be followed very closely; for continued health. Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias, Kaye, for whom we prayed earlier this week, had a successful hip repair and is in good form. I put her on anonymously, because I hadn't checked first, but I can now tell you all that Kaye is really our Fr. Bede's Mom, Catherine Kierney, 86, so prayers for her and Fr. Bede and all their family as she recovers! Continued prayers for our Sr. Mary Frances' Mom, in rehab after her strokes and doing well.

        Prayers for Bill Hayes, one of our Oblates, 93, husband of Marj, who died about a year ago. He has been admitted to a nursing home. Prayers for Ted, a pastoral associate soon to embark on a new ministry at a remote mission station, may God bless and direct his efforts! Prayers, please for Will, 6, bone marrow transplant today, and for Tiffany, complications from gastric bypass have her back in surgery. Prayers for Bonnie, inoperable eye cancer and for Scott, a homeless man who broke his hip and now faces long rehab.

        Prayers for Cory, whereabouts unknown. Feeling he was a failure, he cleaned out his bank account, left his wife and 6 year old son to "start a new life" somewhere else. Prayers for him and his heartbroken and worried family, also for the very strained finances of his wife and son. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        is often not words that I hear in my mind. I think of how they would
        have acted in a given situation. If their behavior shames me at my own
        planned response, I usually try to follow their plan of action, not
        mine. Like everyone, however, I am not perfect and do not always
        choose the higher road that memory of them shows me. Sad...

        Message 3 of 4 , May 11 5:38 PM

          Prayers for Dave, on his birthday. Many years, ad multos annos, and many graces, too!

          Katelyn, the little girl we have prayed for, is doing very poorly. Her body has broken down at all levels, kidneys, liver, lungs which now have a virus destroying the lung, as well as the atrophy of her little body are all telling. They told Tom, her Dad, he needs to think about how long we could continue using respirators etc to keep her alive, They let him know there needs to be a limit. This is so horrible for Tom. He needs an outpouring of grace in order to do what will be impossible for him. Katelyn's Mom died recently, doubling the pain.

          Continued prayers for the recovery from arterial surgery of Margaret, due to be discharged soon, also for her daughter, Mary F., and all their family.

          Prayers for St. Benedict Monastery, Bristow, VA, joyously receiving 8 Oblate candidates and 12 new Oblates today, and for all those renewing their Oblations, too. Prayers for them all! Prayers for Christine's Mom, who had colon surgery recently and is back in the hospital, recovering poorly. Major complications are stress and her negative outlook, making her healing very difficult, also for her husband and for Christine, trying hard to help her. Prayers for T., wallet lost or stolen, important cash for urgent payments were in it and he has lost his place to live, also for his worried parents and for his grandparents. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL