Holy Rule for May 7

    Message 1 of 4 , May 7, 2005

      Prayers, please, for Anastasia, teen with serious mental illness who attempted suicide and her parents, who have tried all they know and are trying to get her into residential treatment. We have prayed for her before, this is a serious and on-going need. Her parents are at their wits' end. Prayers for a couple trying to adopt, many potential obstacles. Prayers for Bill, hip surgery next week, and Barbara, his wife. Prayers for two workers to resolve a conflict, for the peace of all in their workplace. Prayers of Deo gratias for P., MRI normal, liver biopsy still to be done. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him. Thanks so much! JL

      January 6, May 7, September 6
      Prologue

      So we have asked the Lord
      who is to dwell in His tent,
      and we have heard His commands
      to anyone who would dwell there;
      it remains for us to fulfill those duties.

      Therefore we must prepare our hearts and our bodies
      to do battle under the holy obedience of His commands;
      and let us ask God
      that He be pleased to give us the help of His grace
      for anything which our nature finds hardly possible.
      And if we want to escape the pains of hell
      and attain life everlasting,
      then, while there is still time,
      while we are still in the body
      and are able to fulfill all these things
      by the light of this life,
      we must hasten to do now
      what will profit us for eternity.

      REFLECTION

      The first section of the Prologue asked us to seek God's blessing
      before doing any work. Today we are asked to prepare our hearts and
      bodies for the struggles ahead and ask God for His help. Both of
      these precepts are quite nicely filled by making the Morning
      Offering. Now I know that is a Roman Catholic prayer, and I also know
      we have (thanks be to God!) many Oblates of other faiths among us.
      Bear with me, please. I think this has applications for everyone.

      The morning offering is considered rather passe in some Roman
      Catholic circles. One actually wonders why, in an age that loves
      computers with tons of memory, hard drives that do all the work for
      us, even more work than our own minds could dream of doing. I have
      9300 names in a data base I built on royal genealogy, a favorite
      hobby. One click and a few seconds will tell me how any two of them
      are related, even up to mind-boggling relationships like eighteenth
      cousin three times removed. It will start at a point like that and
      then list all lesser relationships, until common ancestors are all
      depleted. No way I could EVER do that. The morning offering, however,
      makes computer ability look like shooting fish in a barrel.

      The morning offering is the perfect capstone, cornerstone and
      beginning for a great life of intercessory prayer. It unites the
      poverty of our own lives, prayers, works, joys and sufferings with
      those of Christ, with those of His Mystical Body. It plunges the
      finite smallness of our own actions into sea after sea of infinite
      grace and perfection and, wrapped in that awesome completeness,
      offers them to the Father in the perhaps most perfect personal gift
      we could ever hope for that day, short of martyrdom itself.

      Ever forget to pray during the day? The morning offering makes our
      very heartbeats and breathing prayers, means of grace for ourselves
      and for all. We have offered ALL our works, even the unconscious ones
      of our bodies to God, and we have offered them in union with the most
      perfect sacrifice of Jesus. With a gift tag like that, the Father is
      quite likely to be pleased, indeed. Each time we blink, or eat,
      suffer or rejoice, we link that to Christ on His Cross. None of us
      have enough bytes of memory to really do that (I have forgotten about
      it at least three times while writing this sentence!) The morning
      offering is our "hard drive" it is the program that saves to disk and
      runs automatically.

      Our baptism into the Mystical Body gives us the right to plug into
      that infinite worth. It would be a shame if we missed the
      opportunity. Let me tell you, with complete sincerity, that all the
      works of my entire life couldn't save a flea from drowning in a
      raindrop. No way. Buried within the depths of Christ, however, their
      value becomes literally infinite.

      Ever feel bad that you forgot to pray for some one who asked, or only
      whispered a quick: "Lord, help her."? The morning offering makes our
      life and our prayer an infinite pie, one which can never be sliced
      too thin. Counting huge groups and individuals, I pray every single
      day for literally billions of people and not one of them is short-
      changed at all. That's the marvel of uniting our lives and heart
      daily to Christ. Every slice of the pie gets served on the plate of
      His infinity, every single one. Cloaked in the perfect mercy and
      offering of Jesus, every single act, even the keys I just struck and
      the mouse I just moved are wonderful prayers for all, for everyone
      throughout time. That's not shabby, folks!

      Ever wish that your heart prone to largesse had all the money in the
      world? How generous you would be! But, with the morning offering, you
      have daily more than that. Claim your infinite share and spread it
      around! Name people and groups, sure, but know that God has a memory
      that never quits. You can say: for all people in all time" and it
      WILL count! Heavens, I pray for all Oblates (among lots of other
      groups every day. Not only could I not name them, I don't even know
      them, nor is it possible for ANYONE to know them all throughout time.
      But God does, and it counts!) There is no one reading this for whom I
      have not prayed every single day, many by name, but it doesn't
      matter. God is my hard drive! I have prayed for the next new guest
      who arrives for a first visit for literally years, every single day.
      The morning offering is a very neat method!

      Look, folks, it's a Roman Catholic prayer. I'll give you a version of
      it at the end of this post, but there are many others. I KNOW that
      some of our Oblates from other Churches may have to amend it a bit
      and that's OK, go for what God and your heart allows. I think,
      however, that all Christians could agree on at least these
      essentials. (Someone please correct me here, if I am wrong.) Offer
      all your prayers, works, joys and sufferings in union with those of
      Christ, for the intentions of Christ, for all the Church and its
      leaders, for all people throughout time. Say it any way your heart
      allows, but do at least this much and congratulations: you have just
      thrust your own prayers and works and joys and sufferings into the
      very heart of the Cosmos, into the whole of history itself. You now
      stand beside Christ in HIS perfect work in every age. WOOOOF!

      And, if today is your first morning offering, or your first in some
      time, make it a habit to pray for all Benedictines each day!

      MORNING OFFERING

      O my Jesus, I offer You this day my prayers, works, joys and
      suffering, for all the intentions of Your Sacred Heart and Divine
      Mercy, in union with every sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world
      and with all the prayers, works, joys and sufferings of Your Mystical
      Body throughout time, in reparation for our sins and in thanksgiving
      for all Your benefits. I offer them for the Pope and all Church
      leaders, for the unity of all Christians.

      (Now you can add your own intentions- don't be stingy here, you have
      infinity! I always end my own list with: for everyone and everything
      throughout time, created by Your hands, I offer You my life, in
      holocaust for these and for Your will for them.)

      End with: Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto
      Yours. Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, I place my trust in You.

      Message 2 of 4 , May 7, 2006

        Prayers, please, for Heidi and her family, newly returned to the practice of their Faith. Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Prior Douglas Brown, OHC, who died yesterday afternoon, and for all who mourn him. Prayers for C., phone interview on Monday. Prayers for Alfred, 83, possible mini-stroke, but also on dialysis and with a heart valve problem that cannot be surgically corrected because of his age, prayers, too, for his wife Patricia and their son, Fr. Guy. Prayers for Linda, malignant tumor wrapped around her spine and spreading to her leg, uncertain is surgery is possible, for her to commit all her trust to the Divine Mercy and that her spirits lift, and whatever healing God wills. Prayers for Marianne, 20, horribly messed us and manipulative, parents long off the scene, terrible childhood in shelters, etc., little or no religious faith. She has pushed her elderly and ill grandparents to finally ask her to leave. Much help need for this young woman and her family.

        While I do not usually print so many details, this story is awesome. Prayers for the miners, their families and all trying to rescue them:

        May I please ask prayer for two miners trapped since Apr 25...Beaconsfield
        Tasmania they were found alive at day 6 I believe and rescuers have been
        trying to get them out at risk to themselves for 13 days all up now.
        They have encountered rock 5 x harder than concrete and have to figure out
        a way to go the final 1.6 meter in and 1.5 metre up to get them out.

        They have food and light and contact now even sending mail in and out
        through a small air tunnel they managed to get into them. . They are in a
        cage, which saved them, on a cherry picker....very small. They are assisting
        from the inside as well squeezing grout into the rubble so when their
        work mates finally break through it does not all fall onto them.

        They are going slow and now think they will have to do little
        holes and then put in the tiniest amount of gun powder to breakdown the hard
        rock to get through.

        They were supposed to be out last night but still in there and there is
        seismic activity which put them in that situation in the first place in the
        mine in Tasmania. The miners asked for the job newspaper adds to be sent down
        so they could start looking for new work and also said that they are in a 2
        star hotel...they are the 2 stars...

        Lord, help us as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        I have 12,400 names in a data base I built on royal genealogy, a favorite

        Message 3 of 4 , May 6, 2007

          Deo gratias: Bea, for whom we prayed a few weeks ago for serious
          complications surrounding knee replacement surgery, is up and doing well. Now, however,
          she has a new illness to face: colon cancer. She has had surgery and is now
          in the wait and see stage. Prayers, please, for Evelyn, who is due to see a
          specialist tomorrow about a torn ligament in her shoulder which has been giving
          her a great deal of pain and continual sleepless nights.

          Prayers for Carol and all teachers. The last two months of the school year
          can get wild and crazy, with the kids so anxious to get out for the summer.
          Grace and strength and patience for all, students and teachers alike! Prayers
          for Tom, a catechist who has been out of work since November, married, 3 kids
          to support and has 2 interviews this week. Lord, help us all as You know and