Holy Rule for Apr. 28

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 28, 2005
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for Diane, depression and Linda, depression, also for Joe, 63, terminal esophageal cancer, in hospice and nearing his end, for his happy death and for strength and grace for his family and friends. Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for Hristianna, 4, diagnosed with adult leukemia. A bone marrow donor has been found. Please keep her in prayer as she begins treatment, and pray also for Cameron, a little boy who still needs a bone marrow donor. Dave, one of our readers, has gone to God, prayers for his happy death and eternal rest. Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for 2 moms reunited with sons. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him. Thanks so much. JL

      April 28, August 28, December 28
      Chapter 70: That No One Venture to Punish at Random

      Every occasion of presumption
      shall be avoided in the monastery,
      and we decree that no one be allowed
      to excommunicate or to strike any of her sisters
      unless the Abbess has given her the authority.
      Those who offend in this matter
      shall be rebuked in the presence of all,
      that the rest may have fear.

      But children up to 15 years of age
      shall be carefully controlled and watched by all,
      yet this too with all moderation and discretion.
      All, therefore, who presume
      without the Abbess' instructions
      to punish those above that age
      or who lose their temper with them,
      shall undergo the discipline of the Rule;
      for it is written,
      "Do not to another what you would not want done to yourself" (Tobias
      4:16).

      REFLECTION

      Ever work in a place where there was such chaos that you always had
      to be protecting yourself from just about everybody, where you never
      knew from which quarter doom might swoop down without warning. Trust
      me, it ain't much fun. Been there, done that! St. Benedict wisely saw
      that healthy people cannot live that way- it makes them sick- and
      sick people cannot either, it makes them sicker in a big hurry!

      Our communities, our families, and our own behavior at work or school
      should never buy into such lunacy. One advantage of a central
      authority is that it takes the heat, or ought to take it! To leave
      those we have under our care at the mercy of each other, be they
      siblings or monastics or employees, is a terrible abdication of
      responsibility.

      The other telling thing here is the proscription against losing one's
      temper. Hey, I know it happens, and I often even know how. Heck, it
      even happens to me. But our communities are to be founded on peace.
      When disagreement comes or wrong is done, our first resort must
      NEVER be the overkill of the heaviest possible artillery. Much less than
      that is effective in most cases and giving more than is necessary just
      destroys our inner peace. That, my friends, is something we should
      never allow things around us to destroy.

      Far from the "mutually assured destruction" tactic of the nuclear days,
      we should always and everywhere espouse gentleness and polite restraint.
      Our disagreements and corrections should be marked with mercy, even to
      those who fail mercy themselves. (There is no shortage of such people and
      no need to duplicate services there!) So much of charity is genuine courtesy
      and respect, qualities which are sadly easy to fail. We must be mindful, ever
      mindful!

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 28, 2006
        +PAX

        A huge Deo gratias for Peter, for whom we prayed. His scan and tests showed no signs of multiple myeloma (Kahler's disease,) recurrence. God is so good! Deo gratias for Joyce and her cat, Jesse, no liver problems for him, but he still needs prayers for some other medical things, and Joyce asks prayers for an upcoming biopsy for herself. Anita asks prayers of Deo gratias for a very successful meeting at her school, which she says went 1,000 times better than expected!

        Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Maria, who has died from cancer, and for her family and all who mourn her. Prayers for the parents of Victor, who died only four months apart, for their happy deaths and eternal rest, and for Victor, his wife, Anita and their children, Amanda, Krista and Sara. Victor has no siblings and these losses weigh heavily on him and the whole family. Lord, help us as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        temper. Hey, I know it happens, and I often even know how. It surely
        has happened to me, alas. But our communities are to be founded on peace.

        When disagreement comes or wrong is done, our first resort must
        NEVER be the overkill of the heaviest possible artillery. Much less than
        that is effective in most cases and giving more than is necessary just
        destroys our inner peace. That, my friends, is something we should
        never allow things around us to destroy.

        Two other important things are to be borne in mind. The other person may
        honestly have no clue that they have offended or done anything wrong. It
        may be in our own wrong-headed perceptions. Also, the silent treatment,
        the cold shoulder freeze out are demeaning and not terribly mature ways to
        deal with conflict, especially if the person receiving such nonsense is expected
        to either know or guess what she has done wrong. Such petulant behaviors
        are beneath humanity itself, much less Christianity and terribly beneath monastic
        life.

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 27, 2007
          +PAX

          Prayers, please, for Sylvia, graduating with a degree in psychology, and
          needs prayers to find a job, also for her Mom, Jin. Prayers for Ann's health and
          for her pilgrimage to be filled with graces. Prayers, please, for Sarah, a
          college student, who died this week; for Divine Mercy and her salvation. She
          had been very depressed and the circumstances of her death are troubling.
          Prayers, too, for her family and especially her younger siblings.

          Little Lily, for whom we have prayed, her first birthday is today and she is
          in serious kidney impairment difficulties, continued prayers, please, for
          this brave child. Prayers for a Taize retreat for youth in Montreal, especially
          for Cheryl's son on that retreat, and for Cheryl and all those she serves as
          a social worker. Prayers for Tania, kidney dialysis, waiting for a
          transplant. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy

[...]

          may be in our own wrong-headed perceptions. Also, the silent treatment or

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 27, 2008
            +PAX

            Prayers for the spiritual, mental and phsyical well-being of the following, for all their loved ones and for all who take care of them:

            Someone who is on his way to Europe to be with his cousin who is dying of cancer, and for the cousin's happy death and eternal rest and for all who will mourn him.

            Kee-Soo, 57, who has been ill for many years and now is in hospital with serious kidney troubles. Prayers, too, for his wife and children.

            Mary F., that God give her the job He wants fo her, interview coming up soon.

            Paul, panic and depression, and for his wife and Mom.

            Colleen, social worker woried about violence from clients at her workplace.

            Peter who was recently engaged is having conflict with his ex-fiancee and they are going to court. Peter is now having a break down.....

            Father Mark, he has the arduous job of cleaning up a dysfunctional parish ,very messy ...

            Chantel who has been diagnosed with a brain tumor, family very worried.

            Nadia and all her family. She makes her First Communion next week.

            Deo gratias, Michael, for whom we prayed when he disappeared has contacted friends. Hopefully things will resolve according to God's will.

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 27, 2016
              +PAX

              Prayers for a young woman gone astray, that she may return to her distressed
              parents.

              William Risler, of Monastic Life list, asks prayers for the eternal rest of
              his father, Walter, who died after a long bout with medical issues and
              cancer. Fortunately, he was able to be at home during much of his last
              month. Prayers, too, for all his family and for all who mourn his Dad.
              Special prayers for William, after 8 years as full-time family caregiver, he
              needs space to mourn and heal, also to discern where he will be going in the
              next stage of his life. Prayers for all the healthcare staff that cared for
              Walter in his final days.

              Prayers for Fr. Dunstan, delays in his visa acquisition and for his Dad,
              Ian, whose health issues continue.

              Prayers for Kevan, COPD and other degenerative lung problems and heart
              disease issues, not curable, slowly progressive. His Dad died some years ago
              from the same ailments and he apparently inherited them. Prayers for the
              eternal rest of his Dad, too, and for all who mourn him.

              Safe travels for Cathy and her husband, on a pilgrimage to Rome. May they
              receive many graces.

              Prayers for Joshua, sinus infection or bronchitis and not wanting to call in
              sick on his new job. There is a limit to sick time in the first few months
              there.

              Prayers for Blessing, a teen raising his two younger brothers after all
              three were orphaned when their parents died of Ebola.

              Prayers for the happy death of Loren, a 62 year Buddhist. He appears to be
              dying in terrible misery, but because he left no medical power of attorney,
              there is no one who has the authority to order proper palliative care. His
              community is requesting prayer for a peaceful passing for him.

              A tragic update about 7 month old Millie, for whom we prayed: After an
              autopsy, murder and child abuse charges have been filed against the owner of
              the day care center where Millie went. Prayers for the family and all
              involved, prayer for the accused, innocent until proven guilty. Prayers for
              God's mercy and justice and will in all of this tragedy.

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 27

                +PAX

                Prayers for the safety of Pope Francis and all during his trip to Egypt. He has refused a bulletproof vehicle. Many prayers that neither he nor any others are harmed.

                Prayers for Consolacion S., very ill in ICU.

                Prayers for James L., on his birthday, graces galore and many more, ad multos annos!

                Prayers for William, discerning a monastic vocation, for God’s will for him.

                Prayers for Michael L., investigating an Oblate vocation.

                Prayers that Elaine is protected from gossip and backlash at work, that she may have peace and keep her current working hours.

[...]

                Far from the "mutually assured destruction" tactic of the nuclear years,