Holy Rule for Apr. 8

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 8, 2005

      Prayers, please, for the repose of the soul of Fr. Joseph Diemer, OSB Cam, a recluse at Big Sur of many decades, former novice master to our own Fr. Robert Hale and man of great serenity and prayer. In his old age he bore the stress of sudden blindness with great grace. He will be buried Saturday at the Hermitage. Prayers, too, for Kasey, young wife and mother driving on a stressful trip to Pennsylvania, that she be held safely and calmly throughout. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much. JL

      April 8, August 8, December 8
      Chapter 55: On the Clothes and Shoes of the Brethren

      For bedding let this suffice:
      a mattress, a blanket, a coverlet and a pillow.

      The beds, moreover, are to be examined frequently by the Abbot,
      to see if any private property be found in them.
      If anyone should be found to have something
      that he did not receive from the Abbot,
      let him undergo the most severe discipline.

      And in order that this vice of private ownership
      may be cut out by the roots,
      the Abbot should provide all the necessary articles:
      cowl, tunic, stockings, shoes, belt,
      knife, stylus, needle, handkerchief, writing tablets;
      that all pretext of need may be taken away.
      Yet the Abbot should always keep in mind
      the sentence from the Acts of the Apostles
      that "distribution was made to each according as anyone had need"
      (Acts 4:35).
      In this manner, therefore,
      let the Abbot consider weaknesses of the needy
      and not the ill-will of the envious.
      But in all his decisions
      let him think about the retribution of God.

      REFLECTION

      There is a tendency, both within the cloister and without, to hunt
      for dramatic ascetic practices, while ignoring the truly more
      difficult matters that lack the fanfare. Lights! Camera! Action! We
      must always be wary of the Nora Desmonds of our hearts, who are
      always willing to say, a la Sunset Boulevard: "I'm ready for my close-
      up now, Mr. DeMille." How we do love to star, even at self-
      abnegation... Sigh...

      Well, there's two bad pieces of new for Ms. Desmond et al. First the
      penances we choose are usually not the most effective ones. The
      best ones are imposed by God or our situation of daily duty and they
      become tremendous means of grace when we patiently embrace them.
      Second, the ones we do choose can be terrible risks for pride, which
      undoes our efforts so insidiously.

      What on earth does this have to do with the current chapter? Easy-
      and very, very hard, too! The great ascesis here is to aim at
      limiting ourselves to "all the necessary articles." There is a
      challenge here for everyone from Abbot Primate to newest Oblate
      novice. It is a challenge we shall likely never meet fully in life,
      so it is something we can always be profitably picking at!

      Do you know anyone at all, in any vocation, who has absolutely
      nothing beyond what they need? I surely don't, myself sadly included.
      I think this is an area where we can all look at a challenging and
      grace-filled ascetic struggle that is placed on us by the Holy Rule.

      Down-sizing actually feels great, once one gets over the consumerist
      terror of doing so! One will quickly find that, in this area, less
      really *IS* more, (unlike poetry and art, architecture and liturgy,
      alas...! Minimalism there gets old fast...) We become freer when we
      let go of things which hold us more than we realize.

      We can get buried in things we are saving to complete unfinalized
      plans that will never come to fruition, and while we save them, we
      are disheartened by our own failure to use them. Jettison, m'dears,
      jettison. As the one Desert Father used to say to the brethren,"Flee,
      brothers, flee!" so do I say: "Jettison!"

      This has the further charm of fitting well into a depressive's sofa
      paralysis, too. Recall how I told you about that resolution to make
      three things, no matter how tiny, better each day? Works here, too!
      And you will often find to your sofa-catatonic delight that the trip
      to dumpster or thrift shop donation includes 7, 8, or more things!

      Keep chipping away and the mountain of our false heart's desire,
      beloveds. And one day may we stand together on level, smooth quartz
      sand, confronted by nothing but the dazzling ocean of God's
      unfathomable mercy and love!

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 8, 2006

        Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of Dr. Michael Ty, promising young physician, husband of only two years, who was killed in Boston when scaffolding from a building fell on his car, for his stunned young widow, Robin and for all their families and those who mourn him. Among other things, this young man studied ethics at the Vatican after Harvard med school. He met his wife in Rome. Prayers, too, for the happy death and eternal rest of Mac, who died of brain cancer, for his widow, Alicia, son, Daniel and all who mourn him. Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Marie, who died of cancer and for Sr. Rita, her blood sister, and all her family and those who mourn her.

        Prayers for Jack and his Mom, her mental capacity seems to be diminishing rapidly. Prayers for Marialyce and folks in Alabama threatened with severe weather, thunderstorms and tornadoes and the lot. Prayers for the success of Peter, struggling to make his business work, also for John and his business partner, who similarly need some help from the Lord.

        Deo gratias: little Danny, the child in a coma after a car accident, is struggling to sit up, only making 7 minutes or so at a time, but working so hard to get better, for him, his doctors and his parents who have been through so much over these several months. Further Deo gratias for Fr. Jim, still convalescing, but well enough to return to his rectory. Lord, help us as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        nothing beyond what they need? Few that I know, myself sadly included.
[...]

        And you will often find to your delight that the trip to dumpster or thrift
        shop donation includes 7, 8, or more things!

        Keep chipping away and the mountain of our false hearts' desires,

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 7, 2007

          A blessed and holy Easter to all our readers celebrating it this week. May
          the Risen Lord fill us all with His grace!
          For the first time in a long while, there are no special prayer intentions.
          Let us pray for all those we have celebrated Easter with in our lives. Lord
          help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace.