Holy Rule for Apr. 1

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2005
      +PAX

      Prayers for Pope John Paul II, quite possibly nearing death and for the eternal rest of Terry Schiavo, also for healing the rifts in her family. Prayers, too for Fr. Basil Pennington, OCSO, injured in a car accident and hospitalized since Tuesday. Prayers that John has a good post-op cancer check up from yesterday. (God is outside of time and monks can be forgetful, mea culpa!) Prayers for Lou, growth removed from margin of an old cancer scar on his lip, biopsy not back yet, for his wife and all his family. Prayers for Amy, in-patient treatment for eating disorder. Prayers of Deo gratias and thanksgiving for Sr. Mary Stella, who is still in rehab but doing much better. Prayers for Fr. Jose, of St. Bernard's Abbey, Cullman, Alabama, who died earlier this month. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much! JL

      April 1, August 1, December 1
      Chapter 50: On Sisters Who are Working
      Far From the Oratory or Are on a Journey

      Those sisters who are working at a great distance
      and cannot get to the oratory at the proper time --
      the Abbess judging that such is the case --
      shall perform the Work of God
      in the place where they are working,
      bending their knees in reverence before God.

      Likewise those who have been sent on a journey
      shall not let the appointed Hours pass by,
      but shall say the Office by themselves as well as they can
      and not neglect to render the task of their service.

      REFLECTION

      Here's a chapter that speaks loud and clear to Oblates in the world.
      We have all been sent on our journeys by God, so the journey is good,
      but in the midst of it we must carry our monastery and, to a certain
      extent, even its choir, in our hearts. It is a fact that we are away
      from the monastery most of the time. We may wish it were otherwise,
      God, for His own reasons, may not.

      Hence, we need to study with special attention the means to carry not
      just the monastery and choir, but the entire Holy Rule and all of our
      Order in our hearts. There must our cloisters be built. The reins of
      obedience for us come not from walls and stones, not from the
      constant presence of a community to help us, but from our free will
      and loving gift, from the mindful vigilance of our hearts. This
      cloister of the heart, if nurtured, can become in truth a "paradisus
      claustralis", a cloistered paradise! But it does take time!

      A perennial concern of Oblates is how to say the Office in the world,
      or how much of it to say. Actually, that concern is SO perennial that
      one can easily get bogged down in it, spinning one's wheels! Satan
      doesn't care whether you get caught by temptations to murder or by
      temptations to liturgy, so long as you get caught! (Any who have
      dealt with certain "liturgists", presumed and otherwise, will
      quickly note the similarities between temptations to murder and
      liturgy....)

      The answer here is loud and clear, both terribly simple and (like the
      perfection of so many simple things,) not a little daunting: "as well
      as they can." Now look at this precept, really look at it. That means
      that you will never be able to solemnly intone the Hours in many, if
      not most of the places you live and work. Which also means that God,
      of all the most merciful and loving, clearly understands the limits
      of your life.

      I hesitate to mention depression too often, but because it is my
      personal experience and I know that it has tremendous connections to
      the spiritual life for good or ill, I'll risk it! Ever hear about one
      of the symptoms of depression being trouble concentrating? Let me
      tell you, beloveds, when I can deny any other sign, I can never deny
      that one.

      Twenty minutes of memorized prayers and Psalms takes an
      hour or more. And certainly NOT because one is swept up into the
      seventh heaven! Quite the reverse! One's mind jumps everywhere, like
      an agile monkey on speed leaping from tree to tree in the canopy of
      an endlessly confusing jungle. The words are just repeated, with so
      little attention, feeling or meaning. And even that is a crushing
      effort at times. Sigh...

      If you are at all like me, you will feel badly about that: "Oh, no!
      I've been distracted at prayer again..." Don't make it any worse than
      it already is: God fully knows WHY we are distracted, why we are
      limited by anything within or without. Just calm down and do the best
      you can.

      I have long since resigned myself to ruefully chuckling that
      often I am no better at all than a mindless, mechanical prayer wheel,
      like those spun in Tibet. I hope God accepts all our prayer wheel
      days and I really think He does! So long as we are not deliberately
      slovenly or careless about prayer, it delights God, and, as one of
      the Fathers observed, even distracted prayer makes the devil mad!

      A quick suggestion as a way to bring monastery and choir into our
      busy day. This is one of my favorites, one of two prayers proper to
      the morning hour of Prime. It is easily memorized and therefore VERY
      portable! It can sneak into the tiniest of places in a busy day and
      carry the heart right to God and its cloister of peace and truth.
      Enjoy!!

      " O Lord God, King of heaven and earth, be pleased this day to direct
      and sanctify, to rule and govern our hearts and bodies, our thoughts,
      words and deeds according to Your law and in obedience to Your
      commandments. Now and forever may we attain salvation and freedom by
      Your help, O Savior of the world, Who lives and reigns forever and
      ever. Amen"

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 31, 2006
        +PAX

        This is going out the night before, because I have to leave early tomorrow to pick up a friend at the airport.

        Prayers, please, for Fr. Romuald, OSB Cam, who died yesterday, just after being anointed and surrounded by his praying brothers. May God grant him eternal rest!

        Prayers for Erin, about to graduate from college and traveling to a weekend interview for a year long parish internship, for further discernment of whatever vocation God has for her. Prayers, too for Jennifer, for healing and reconciliation in her marriage. Prayers for the family of Phil, who will be buried on Tuesday, for the spiritual and emotional healing, may his passing deepen their faith. Prayers for Kim, who fears God may not want to hear her prayers, and for Virginia, her grandmother, in ICU after a stroke.

        A joyous Deo gratias and thanksgiving: Ellen, for whom we prayed recently has responded to treatment of her lung infection and has been able to go home from the hospital. She also missed none of her cancer treatments while ill. God has worked wonders for her! Lord, help us as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him. JL

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 31, 2007
          +PAX

          Prayers for Carol, who had to euthanize her beloved cat, Smokey. Pet-lovers
          will know what awful pain this is. Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for
          Terry, for whom we prayed. She had gallbladder surgery 3 weeks
          ago. This past week she had a cancerous kidney removed and she is doing
          well. Continued prayers for her and her family. Prayers for the happy death and
          eternal rest of George, on the anniversary of his death, prayers, too, for
          his son, George, and all their family.

          Deo gratias and prayers of thanks, Kathryn and Steven have completed the
          adoption of a daughter from Guatemala. Prayers for Ritagail, please, that she
          will be able to let go of her pride/ego/self-righteousness enough for others to
          help her, if it be God's Will. And, that God will grant her discernment.

[...]

          limited by anything within or without. So long as you didn't deliberately
          intend and set out to pray mindlessly, don't worry. (And few, I hope, do
          that!)
          God may actually permit those distractions to humble us. Just calm

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 31, 2008
            +PAX

            Prayers for the physical, spiritual and mental health of the following, for all their loved ones and all who treat them:

            Ann, panic attack of over a week now.

            Fr. Steve, post-op cancer treatment, then cardiac problems, now in rehab, but his Mom died last week. Prayers for both and all their family and for his Mom's happy death and eternal rest.

            Gregory, for graces in his week-long retreat he negan and for his wife and balance in his marriage.

            Sue and her baby, she decided not to abort her child (Deo gratias!) and needs a lot of grace and strength just now.

            Alma, pneumona.

            James and his wife, for safe travel this month.

            Daniel, making progress in rehab and now using a walker, seeking to return to work part-time.

            http://www.stmarysmonastery.org/

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 31, 2016

              +PAX

              Prayers for Isaac, 5 months old, stomach cancer, and for his parents and family.

              Prayers for Ralph, having major open heart surgery, he has had multiple cardiac surgeries in the past.

              Prayers for Joshua to discern the will of God.

              Prayers for Ignazio, 8, who has a very rare autoimmune disease and for his parents.

              Prayers for P., lost large parts of his skull to infection after surgery to remove a brain tumor and now is quite angry with God. Prayers for him, for his peace with God, and for his devout and very concerned parents. He is facing reconstructive surgeries, one scheduled quite soon. Prayers that those treating him are guided by God and His angels.

              Prayers for a priest accused of pornography, but exonerated by the police and their investigation, no charges filed. His Bishop, however, has yet to reinstate him and this is causing him great pain. Prayers that his innocence may be accepted and that he may be restored to his ministry.

              Please continue healing prayers for Bob's wife, Marion. Still not feeling well and stomach very upset and painful. No diagnosis yet.

[...]

              other temptations, so long as you get caught!

[...]

              intend and set out to pray mindlessly, don't worry.  God may actually

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 31

                +PAX

                Prayers, please, for the spiritual and physical welfare of Daniel, and for a special intention. Prayers, too, for his son, who asked for prayers.

                Prayers for the eternal rest of Cory, 31, apparently accidental heroin overdose, and for his family, girlfriend and all that mourn him.

                Prayers for three homeless women  in transitional living and their children, SA is in addiction recovery recently out of jail,  JA has severe anxiety, and Jo has depression. Between them there are 13 children.  Prayers that the peace and blessing of Christ descends upon them. Prayers, too, for Sharon, who is trying to help them and asked prayers.

                Prayers for Theresa's dad, Fred, 75, who is beginning testing to rule out dementia/Alzheimer's. Prayers too for Theresa and the family.

                Prayers for Gerald, who has had serious throat and speech problems for the last several months. The doctor did not like what he saw in an endoscopy.  He will be having surgery for biopsies.  Cancer runs in his family so he is a little unnerved. Prayers for a nonmalignant  biopsy result.

                Prayers for a family that has fallen away from the Church to return to the Sacraments.

                Continued prayers  for Neo, Brittany and Orest’s dog, test results uncertain, they are taking him to a specialist. Prayers the dog does not have cancer.