4467Holy Rule for Jan. 31

    Jan 30, 2014

      Prayers for the following:

      Debbie's Mom, osteomyelitis and needs a toe amputation, and for Debbie's Dad, dementia.

      Fr. Mark, strange blood disorder and seems to be getting worse, going home for treatment.

      Another  priest with another type of blood disorder.

      Ben and Jess, successful child birth for their first child, due in April

      Rita Elizabeth, severe chronic pain, anxiety attacks, rheumatoid arthritis, and recently had a stroke and a heart attack.

      Jimmy O., needs job as soon as possible.

      JSO, success in studies and in research

      Beverly, special intention discernment and more self discipline

      Barb and Robert, special intention.

      Deo gratias for past prayers answered.

      Fr. G., for healing and for his community.

      Prayers, please, for Mary Rose, on her 53rd birthday. Graces and blessings and
      many more! Ad multos annos!

      January 31, June 1, October 1
      Chapter 7: On Humility

      The third degree of humility is that a person
      for love of God
      submit himself to his Superior in all obedience,
      imitating the Lord, of whom the Apostle says,
      "He became obedient even unto death."

      REFLECTION

      Merton once wrote "Love is the Rule." That's what we can so often
      miss. One obeys out of love, love of God.

      Trust my limited experience here, please, if we are acting on solely
      human considerations, there is no human being on earth whose tool kit
      is so complete that one can joyously follow and obey them without any
      reserve or hesitation, not one. But we aren't doing it for human reasons:
      we are obeying for God.

      We do it for love, not for wisdom. We do it for love, not for taste
      or class or savoir faire. We do it for love, not because the superior
      is brilliant or right or gifted in any way. We don't do it because of
      the superior at all, if we are going about things the right way. We
      do it for love, for love of God.

      Anything less than love of God as a motive will fall flat on its
      face, and sooner rather than later! It never takes long. Life itself,
      within the cloister or without, is full of so much purblind stupidity
      and outright rubbish that nothing could sustain one other than love
      of God.

      Mother or Father might quite pointedly know little or nothing at all. The will
      of God sometimes comes through to us in spite of them, not because they
      are wise or stupid, right or wrong, but because of love, God's love for us.
      Many people in authority advance the will of God for reasons that have little
      or nothing to do with God!

      They may do it unwittingly, they may do it cruelly or wrong-headedly, but
      that hardly matters: the will of God comes through. I think there is a
      mystical point where the love and will of God for one cannot ultimately be
      thwarted, where it is actually advanced by humans who have not a clue what they
      are doing. Even some actively opposed to His will nevertheless advance it without a
      clue. God can use anything, even His opponents, to do good for those who
      love Him, who trust Him and let Him act in their souls.

      We do it for love, and that love will shield us, regardless, in the
      armor of His will. We must only trust Him, trust His Divine Mercy,
      always trust!