4466Holy Rule for Jan. 30

    Jan 29, 2014

      Prayers for the eternal rest of the following, for all their families and all who mourn them:

      Marifel

      Rosalie, 56.

      Nevina

      Clarice

      Prayers for the following:

      Vita, 80's, cardiac ablation today for pacemaker problems.

      Juan Pablo, for his job, family, health and lifeĀ“s project.

      Rene, clogged arteries.

      S., for a return to Church and the Sacraments.

      Phil M., diagnosed with a fast moving leukemia two weeks
      ago. Last Tuesday they started using him as
      an experiment with new drugs. By Thursday, he was in a wheel chair.
      Yesterday they intubated him with an oxygen tube. Expectations are not
      good.

      Phil L.,  picked up a infection that antibodies are not working on,
      expectations of a recovery not good.

      Lorna, recovering from surgery, and for her teenage daughter who has just been discovered to have cancer.
      Deo gratias and prayers of thanks, Seamus got a Navy ROTC scholarship.

      Andrew and his family.

      The second degree of humility
      is that a person love not his own will
      nor take pleasure in satisfying his desires,
      but model his actions on the saying of the Lord,
      "I have come not to do My own will,
      but the will of Him who sent Me" (John 6:38).
      It is written also,
      "Self-will has its punishment,
      but constraint wins a crown."

      REFLECTION

      OK, who doesn't love their own will, or take pleasure in satisfying
      their desires? Who doesn't love the dearest things they own and
      treasure? For a healthy person, all of these are very normal loves.
      For some of us, one or another of these loves can be very much part of
      our vocation. The key is to keep them ordered, in line and yes, balanced!

      The means to this step is neither to go overboard hunting for things
      we hate to afflict ourselves with nor to insist on our own way at all
      costs. The real meaning here is found in the statement that Christ
      came not to do His own will, but the will of His Father, even in Gethsemane,
      even on the Cross.

      Alas, in us, our own will often DOES win: why else would we be
      struggling along the monastic way all our lives? Unlike Jesus, we are
      not sinless, we are able to sin and often do so all too gladly! We
      must daily- even minute to minute- turn from the bad in our own
      wills. It is an ongoing fight, but that is what conversatio morum means,
      the commitment to live monastically, to reform our lives monastically.
      As Benedictines we will- indeed, must- always be straining
      against the negative goad, always be seeking the place of greater
      light and good.

      The will of God is frequently very hard to see. For some of us, at
      some times, it seems downright impossible to see. There will always be
      times when we must trundle along blindly, without our senses to
      reassure us. That is why trust is such an integral part of our
      monastic struggle. At those times, the only way haltingly forward is
      to embrace the blinding darkness before us and firmly, trustingly
      clutch the merciful hand of Christ. Jesus, I trust in You!