4360Holy Rule for Oct. 26

    Oct 25, 2013
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for Jecintha, undergoing treatment for intestinal cancer and will have surgery next month.

      Prayers for Solomon, who wants to be a priest.

      Chapter 19: On the Manner of Saying the Divine Office

      We believe that the divine presence is everywhere and that "the
      eyes of the Lord are looking on the good and the evil in every
      place" (Prov. 15:3). But we should believe this especially without
      any doubt when we are assisting at the Work of God. To that end let
      us be mindful always of the Prophet's words, "Serve the Lord in
      fear" (Ps. 2:11) and again "Sing praises wisely" (Ps. 46:8) and "In
      the sight of the Angels I will sing praise to You" (Ps. 137:1).
      Let us therefore consider how we ought to conduct ourselves in
      sight of the Godhead and of His Angels, and let us take part in the
      psalmody in such a way that our mind may be in harmony with our
      voice.

      REFLECTION

      If there were any phrase I could carve on the walls of every choir
      in the Order, it would be: "In the sight of the Angels I will sing
      praise to You." It stresses not only the lofty character (and
      cast!) of our sacrifices of praise, but also the demeanor we should
      have in offering them.

      The Presence of God that we miss so often should change our
      demeanour. Students act differently (usually worse, alas...) for a substitute
      teacher. Employees are different when the boss is off for the day.
      These assortments of different behavior are pretty much shot
      through the human condition, though not necessarily always a good
      idea.

      The message here is no masks. Know Him in Whose presence and House
      you are. But really KNOW Him. That can take a lifetime of trying.

      God is Parent and Creator and we are always creatures, but we are
      not always children. We have to grow to the adult relationship with
      God that fortunate children eventually share with their parents.
      (If we never got to do this with our parents, and many haven't, establishing
      such
      honesty with God is going to perhaps be a bit of a chore... Keep trying!)

      As we grow in our knowledge of God, our behavior around Him (and we
      are ALWAYS "around Him", that's another clear message of the Holy
      Rule!) changes. It becomes more real and more natural. It changes
      with a very clear eye to Whom God is and who we are. It changes
      from knowledge born of love and security.