4355Holy Rule for Oct. 21

    Oct 20 5:20 PM
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for A., psychiatric illness, severe.

      Prayers for mental health professionals and those they take care of, esp. their difficult patients.

      Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's
      Him! Thanks so much. JL

      February 20, June 21, October 21

      Chapter 17: How Many Psalms Are to Be Said at These Hours
      We have already arranged the order of the psalmody for the Night
      and Morning Offices;
      let us now provide for the remaining Hours.

      At Prime let three Psalms be said, separately and not under
      one "Glory be to the Father."
      The hymn of that Hour is to follow the verse "Incline unto my aid,
      O God," before the Psalms begin. Upon completion of the three
      Psalms let one lesson be recited,
      then a verse, the "Lord, have mercy on us" and the concluding
      prayers.

      The Offices of Terce, Sext and None are to be celebrated in the
      same order, that is:
      the "Incline unto my aid, O God," the hymn proper to each Hour,
      three Psalms, lesson and verse, "Lord, have mercy on us" and
      concluding prayers.

      If the community is a large one, let the Psalms be sung with
      antiphons; but if small,
      let them be sung straight through.

      Let the Psalms of the Vesper Office be limited to four, with
      antiphons. After these Psalms the lesson is to be recited, then the
      responsory, the Ambrosian hymn, the verse, the canticle from the
      Gospel book, the litany, the Lord's Prayer and the concluding
      prayers.

      Let Compline be limited to the saying of three Psalms, which are to
      be said straight through without antiphon, and after them the
      hymn of that Hour, one lesson, a verse, the "Lord, have mercy on
      us," the blessing and the concluding prayers.

      REFLECTION

      A real short one here. People often ask me about the Benedictine
      Office and want to include it in their prayer lives. This chapter
      offers a great solution: the Benedictine Psalms of Compline.

      They are the same ones every day. You can use them with whatever
      format you have for Compline. Many houses, even today, still use
      the Psalms mentioned here, and all of them did for most of our
      history. The Psalms are 4, When I call...,90(91) He who dwells in
      the shelter of the Most High..., and 133(134) O come, bless the
      Lord..., the first number being the Septuagint numbering usually
      found in older Catholic Bibles and the parenthetical numbering the
      Hebrew one found in Protestant Bibles.

      Used daily, these Psalms sink quickly into memory. Pretty soon
      you'll be able to say Compline with no book. Now that is a great
      joy! No books needed. Warm and familiar. Enjoy!!

      For any who would like a copy of the 1963 Monastic Diurnal, which
      has all the day hours, but not Matins, it has been republished by
      Farnborough Abbey, in Latin and English, side by side columns. More
      info at:

      _http://www.farnboroughabbey.org/_
      (http://www.farnboroughabbey.org/)

      or contact: Brother Bernard 1.505.388.9279 -- Our Lady of Guadalupe
      Monastery, New Mexico, USA