4353Holy Rule for Oct. 19

    Oct 18, 2013
      +PAX

      Prayers for P., in a lot of pyschiatric pain and anxiety, for proprer diagnosis and treatment.

      grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so muh. JL

      February 18, June 19, October 19
      Chapter 15: At What Times "Alleluia" Is to Be Said

      From holy Easter until Pentecost without interruption
      let "Alleluia" be said both in the Psalms and in the responsories.
      From Pentecost to the beginning of Lent let it be said every night
      with the last six Psalms of the Night Office only. On every Sunday,
      however, outside of Lent, the canticles, the Morning Office, Prime,
      Terce, Sext and None shall be said with "Alleluia," but Vespers
      with antiphons.

      The responsories are never to be said with "Alleluia" except from
      Easter to Pentecost.

      REFLECTION

      It is not uncommon for me to get posts asking how on earth I can
      say "God's will is best." after recounting some litany of horrible
      things which have befallen people in need of our prayers. Well, now
      I up the ante a bit and add the equivalent of "Alleluia!" , "praise
      Him!" to each post.

      In every instance, even when it is all we can do to choke it out,
      gritting our teeth, we must always say Alleluia. God must always be
      praised, always, even when we cannot see goodness anywhere else at
      all, it *IS* in Him and must be acknowledged.

      "Alleluia" means "Praise the Lord!" I know we have taken it to mean
      something a lot more like "Whoopee!", but it doesn't. I bow to St.
      Benedict and Western tradition in the liturgical use. In our
      hearts, however, there should be an "Alleluia/praise the Lord" at
      all times and seasons. "Praise the Lord anyhow!" the charismatics used to say
      when something dreadful or unlovely happened to one. How true, how
      very true!

      I have not had the
      crosses of many, but I have had heavy, tailor-made ones of my own.
      Getting diagnosed HIV+ two years before I became a monk comes to mind, as does
      living with it for over 20 years. So does depression, which just
      about equals it, and I was depressed LONG before I had HIV.

      I was not always very graceful about that, nor about many a
      heartbreak, but I do know and I can honestly say that God's will HAS
      been best, always best. My 20/20 hindsight must, though grudgingly
      at times, fully own that Alleluia was appropriate at every point,
      in every instance.

      Saying that does not mean that I can no longer be terrified at this
      or that prospect. I can. We all can. Jesus was in Gethsemane. It is
      a very human fear, and God finds our humanity, in which He sees His
      Son, very fetching. So don't freak out if you still get scared, it
      is part and parcel of our human condition. But even then, we must train
      ourselves to praise!

      In every heartbreak, in every despair, in every grief we must
      ardently cling to our faith that God is merciful and good. We must
      see that when we feel unable to see it. We must, by faith and sheer
      will, affirm that the Lord must be praised at all times. He is not
      mean. Whatever is bleak shall never, ever lack His tender,
      caressing hand behind it, no matter how unseen to us. It is there.
      He is there. Always! Praise the Lord! ALLELUIA!