4334Holy Rule for Sept. 30

    Sep 29, 2013
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for my late Dad and grandfather, and yeah, even for me, on our
      feastday of St. Jerome, and prayers for all our Jeromes. Special prayers for Sr. Jerome, who suffered a stroke.

      Lord, help us all as You know and will.
      Thanks so much. JL

      The second degree of humility
      is that a person love not his own will
      nor take pleasure in satisfying his desires,
      but model his actions on the saying of the Lord,
      "I have come not to do My own will,
      but the will of Him who sent Me" (John 6:38).
      It is written also,
      "Self-will has its punishment,
      but constraint wins a crown."

      REFLECTION

      OK, who doesn't love their own will, or take pleasure in satisfying
      their desires? Who doesn't love their individuality or some of the
      dearest things they own and treasure? For a healthy person, all of
      these are very normal loves. For some of us, one or another of these
      loves is very much part of our vocation, for example, in marriage
      one's sexuality is the very means of self-gift. The key is to keep
      them ordinate, in line and yes, balanced!

      The real meaning here is found in the statement that Christ
      came not to do His own will, but the will of His Father. His will is one with
      the Father's. He also has a human nature that prayed in Gethsemane to be spared , if possible,
      from that Divine will, but, in Jesus, the human nature is perfectly obedient to the will of His Father, so He
      can never sin.

      Alas, in us, that human will often DOES win: why else would we be
      struggling along the monastic way all our lives? Unlike Jesus, we are
      not sinless, we are able to sin and often do so all too gladly! We
      must daily- even from minute to minute- turn from the bad in our own
      wills. It is an ongoing fight, but that is what conversatio morum
      means, "conversion of manner of life"! As Benedictines we will-
      indeed, must- always be straining against the negative goad, always
      be seeking the place of greater light and good.

      The will of God is frequently very hard to see. For some of us, at
      some times, it is all but impossible to see, but we must pray for the grace to
      do so. There will always be times when we must trundle along blindly, without our
      senses to reassure us. That is why trust is such an integral part of our
      monastic struggle. At those times, the only way haltingly forward is
      to embrace the blinding darkness before us and firmly, trustingly
      clutch the hand of Christ. Even in the darkness, we must say: "Jesus,
      I trust in You!"