4034Holy Rule for Dec. 8

    Dec 7, 2012

      Prayers, please, for the spiritual, physical and temporal welfare of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Earl, in a new job, thanksgiving for past prayers answered, continued prayers for a matter not yet resolved.

      Robin, breast cancer.

      Kathy, taken to hospital with chest pains, no insurance, which adfds to her stress.

      Amanda's Dad, possible pneumonia and strep throat, uncontrolled diabetes. The antiobiotics are not working and his white blood cell count is up.

      Fr. Ambrose, belated prayers for his feast day yesterday.

      Prayers, please, for the United States, on this Solemnity of the Immaculate
      Conception, our patroness and for all under her patronage. We could sure use the
      prayers! May we do God's will
      and reflect His Kingdom.

      Chapter 55: On the Clothes and Shoes of the Brethren

      For bedding let this suffice:
      a mattress, a blanket, a coverlet and a pillow.

      The beds, moreover, are to be examined frequently by the Abbot,
      to see if any private property be found in them.
      If anyone should be found to have something
      that he did not receive from the Abbot,
      let him undergo the most severe discipline.

      And in order that this vice of private ownership
      may be cut out by the roots,
      the Abbot should provide all the necessary articles:
      cowl, tunic, stockings, shoes, belt,
      knife, stylus, needle, handkerchief, writing tablets;
      that all pretext of need may be taken away.
      Yet the Abbot should always keep in mind
      the sentence from the Acts of the Apostles
      that "distribution was made to each according as anyone had need"
      (Acts 4:35).
      In this manner, therefore,
      let the Abbot consider weaknesses of the needy
      and not the ill-will of the envious.
      But in all his decisions
      let him think about the retribution of God.

      REFLECTION

      This chapter may appear to have little to say to Oblates until one
      gives a more evangelical twist to it: "where your treasure is, there
      your heart shall be also." People in the world require some goods
      and income to support their vocations. But treasure must be guided
      by moderation in all things.

      Oblates in the world have to have some source of income, whatever
      that may be, but they can readily and profitably examine where their
      treasure lies. They can also make sure that those who depend on them
      have all they truly need, yet keep them from getting spoiled or
      carried away with consumerist fluff. Especially at this holiday
      season, when the television is filled with a horrendous glut of
      materialist orgy, our Benedictine hearts should say: "Enough really
      IS enough!"

      But do we say that, or are we to some degree sucked into the lunacy
      of a secular winter fest? (One can no longer even say "pagan" of the
      secular winter fest. At least the pagans, whatever their lacks may
      be, believe in SOMETHING and worship. That can no longer be said of
      much of the world's hoopla at this time of year.)

      As Christians and as Benedictines, we have an awesome
      responsibility to be witnesses against that secular falsehood,
      against the extremes of consumerism which rob so many of life and
      maim our planet which we must share with all. Not only is the planet
      harmed, but goods are distributed with such glaring inequity and even
      the hapless consumers are often left with debts (and credit rates!)
      that enslave them years into the future. All in the name of what?
      Surely not the kind of "honor" Jesus would have sought for His birth
      and Incarnation.

      Benedictine attitudes toward poverty are not deprivation, but they
      are not excess, either. Always, always moderation. For us, virtue
      truly does stand in the middle way!