3159Holy Rule for Sept. 2

    Sep 1, 2010

      Continued prayers for Sr. Charlotte, OSB, and Sr. Connie Ruth, OSB, of Bristow. They are both making slow progres, Sr. Charlotte in a rehab center, Sr. Connie Ruth in Intermediate Care Unit.

      Deo gratias: Kenny has finally been employed after job hunting for over 6 months, and it's in an industry that he feels good about, something he finds meaning in. To God the glory.

      Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's
      Him! Thanks so much. JL

      January 2, May 3, September 2
      Prologue

      Let us arise, then, at last,
      for the Scripture stirs us up, saying,
      "Now is the hour for us to rise from sleep" (Rom. 18:11).
      Let us open our eyes to the deifying light,
      let us hear with attentive ears
      the warning which the divine voice cries daily to us,
      "Today if you hear His voice,
      harden not your hearts" (Ps. 94:8).
      And again,
      "Whoever has ears to hear,
      hear what the Spirit says to the churches" (Matt. 11-15; Apoc. 2:7).
      And what does He say?
      "Come, My children, listen to Me;
      I will teach you the fear of the Lord" (Ps. 33:12).
      "Run while you have the light of life,
      lest the darkness of death overtake you" (John 12:35).

      REFLECTION

      St. Benedict, just by virtue of the period in which he lived, would
      have been rather more attuned to the Eastern Church Fathers than
      many in the West are today. Not for nothing does he also recommend
      St. Basil's Rule to his monastics! Given all this, the
      phrase "deifying light", which probably strikes most Westerners as
      just a lovely bit of poetry, would ring altogether different bells
      in Eastern minds, and may well have rung those bells in the mind of
      St. Benedict himself.

      Deification, the process of humanity becoming more God-like, is a
      central theme of Eastern spirituality, a favorite theme of the
      Fathers and a big central issue in Eastern monasticism. The whole
      idea of the Incarnation is viewed as God becoming Man so that man
      could be deified. (Don't take that term "deified" literally. The
      idea was that people became God-like, participated in His wondrous
      Being, not that they literally became gods!)

      But there was a profound awareness of grace allowing us to share
      in God's life and to become ever more
      like Him, of being ever more intimately united with the Triune
      Life. Put another way, the East would say that we were created in
      the image and likeness of God, but we have lost the likeness.
      Deification, monastic struggle, the spiritual life, all of these
      strive to regain that likeness.

      We so often speak of balance, but what does that balance entail?
      It is this very deification, it is the closest attempt we can make to restore
      the rightness of Eden. It is our halt and lame effort to become what
      God intended us to be, as closely as we can in a fallen world.

      So, as we continue our loving Father's pep talk at the beginning of
      his Holy Rule, let us resolve to never again let that
      phrase "deifying light" slip past our eyes as just another literary
      device. No way! Deification and Light are what we are all about.
      Shine on, dear brothers and sisters, shine on!