Re: [minciu_sodas_en] Response to Lucas: Growing These Connections!

  • Lucas Gonzalez Santa Cruz
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29, 2006

      Glad you're in touch with them and yes, please keep us updated! You
      mention a few things:

      - About your learning to use the wiki - whenever it fits. It may have
      been the best thing that you didn't learn to use before, as now this
      wiki (prowiki) will be a bit different for the user. Maybe not too
      different, but certainly a bit different, so it may be better to do your
      training later. Soon there will be another "J" month.

      - Synchronicities may not be all that "rare". People at fluwikie2.com
      (where the forum is now) have a few threads about food security, home
      gardens and such. My guess is the same may be happening with peakoil
      motivated people, and other groups too. Some people may have
      educational motivation. A number are probably joining in for fun! It
      looks like being aware of such synchronicities and connecting them to
      each other may play a role in world developement. And yes, I too intend
      to grow my own tiny window-garden.

      - It will be good to know about what the limits of the patented bucket
      (well, it's more than just a bucket) are. Linking to their pages is
      something we can do in any case. Having an anyone-can-copy-this, DIY
      "bucket" is a different thing and I'd love to see that if at all
      possible. That way we'd be able to more easily organise around
      learners, connecters and developers. Their site seems to be pretty much
      "in the works" which is great, so again it will be good to know about
      their developement.

      - To be honest, I don't specifically know what I mean by "reaching out"
      as it's an open-ended intention. I think one good thing would be that
      such a project ("learn by doing and connecting, then eat it") might be
      "piped" into many groups such as those mentioned above. In Nairobi's
      Kibera it might be a for-(social)-profit thing, in New York City it
      might be a flu-preppers' thing, in many places it would be a school
      thing. Having them all together sort of makes sense. A
      globalvillages-onevillage initiative, one "bucket" at a time.

      I'll want to learn more about the "connections" part of the game: how
      people sign-up, buy or make their bucket-thing, get seeds and whatever
      else is needed, start growing things, ask and learn, harvest and cook.
      Actually, this is quite exciting and makes me think of schools growing
      something that's peculiar to their land or country, and flickr-ing
      (showing photos on the internet) it. Very small kids might start with
      just an empty glass (where the compost and seed will go) and a
      hand-drawn world-map.

      Something else to watch for.

      Thanks, Janet!