Response to Lucas: Growing These Connections!

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28, 2006
      Dear Lucas and All,

      Hello and thanks for your enthusiasm (you and Andrius will get me to use a wiki yet, haha!!...sorry for the broken promise...I should have said I'd learn it in a "J" month, or not specified which January it would be!).

      I agree that this looks to be an exciting project, and I have started discussions with them, so will keep everyone informed. In one of those rare and delightful synchronicities, they have projects both in Kenya, where I work, and Rhode Island USA, where I live!

      If this is patented, do you mean that's a problem in terms of putting it in a wiki or toolbox, or because of designing something similar, or both? Hmm, am not sure how to respond to that now myself (especially as I hope to work with them), but I think that a project with the same goal but different design or configuration ("add-ons" or plug-ins) is something to be considered by those interested.

      And by reaching out to others, do you mean others doing something similar (ie an Earthbox type of project) or innovative projects and ideas in the fields of nutrition, food security et al?

      I look forward to working on this type of learning and toolkit (in a "co-operative" way!), and here's to growing our connections and abilities together!  All best wishes and nutritious networking, Janet

      Janet,

      Great link!

      This could be dealt with under "cooperative learning" and under
      "emergency agriculture".

      The EarthBox is patented, which is not too good :-?

      Maybe we could design a page at the wiki with a public domain
      counter-part?  Something small and basic.  Something that can grow into
      more.  Maybe with some plug-in using waste etc.

      Or just reach out to others who are doing this already?

      Lucas

    • Lucas Gonzalez Santa Cruz
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 29, 2006
        Janet

        Glad you're in touch with them and yes, please keep us updated! You
        mention a few things:

        - About your learning to use the wiki - whenever it fits. It may have
        been the best thing that you didn't learn to use before, as now this
        wiki (prowiki) will be a bit different for the user. Maybe not too
        different, but certainly a bit different, so it may be better to do your
        training later. Soon there will be another "J" month.

        - Synchronicities may not be all that "rare". People at fluwikie2.com
        (where the forum is now) have a few threads about food security, home
        gardens and such. My guess is the same may be happening with peakoil
        motivated people, and other groups too. Some people may have
        educational motivation. A number are probably joining in for fun! It
        looks like being aware of such synchronicities and connecting them to
        each other may play a role in world developement. And yes, I too intend
        to grow my own tiny window-garden.

        - It will be good to know about what the limits of the patented bucket
        (well, it's more than just a bucket) are. Linking to their pages is
        something we can do in any case. Having an anyone-can-copy-this, DIY
        "bucket" is a different thing and I'd love to see that if at all
        possible. That way we'd be able to more easily organise around
        learners, connecters and developers. Their site seems to be pretty much
        "in the works" which is great, so again it will be good to know about
        their developement.

        - To be honest, I don't specifically know what I mean by "reaching out"
        as it's an open-ended intention. I think one good thing would be that
        such a project ("learn by doing and connecting, then eat it") might be
        "piped" into many groups such as those mentioned above. In Nairobi's
        Kibera it might be a for-(social)-profit thing, in New York City it
        might be a flu-preppers' thing, in many places it would be a school
        thing. Having them all together sort of makes sense. A
        globalvillages-onevillage initiative, one "bucket" at a time.

        I'll want to learn more about the "connections" part of the game: how
        people sign-up, buy or make their bucket-thing, get seeds and whatever
        else is needed, start growing things, ask and learn, harvest and cook.
        Actually, this is quite exciting and makes me think of schools growing
        something that's peculiar to their land or country, and flickr-ing
        (showing photos on the internet) it. Very small kids might start with
        just an empty glass (where the compost and seed will go) and a
        hand-drawn world-map.

        Something else to watch for.

        Thanks, Janet!

        Lucas