Invisible Children

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2006
      I take the liberty to share a letter from Shannon Clark which he wrote
      about an initiative to help children in Uganda. I also note that Shannon
      is the founder and organizer of Mesh Forum http://www.meshforum.org,
      a conference which will be held May 7-9, 2006 in San Francisco.
      Shannon is a long time participant at our lab, interested in flow
      economy and Mesh Forum reflects his passion for networks. Andrius

      All,

      Take a look at http://www.invisiblechildren.com/theMission/partnerships/

      A group of three young filmmakers who have used online tools in
      incredibly creative ways to raise a lot (over $500k) of money and get
      their film seen by over 1M people already - all on behalf of the
      children of Uganda.

      On April 29th they are organizing events in over 129 cities across
      America.

      All organized online and mostly by youth.

      I found this via a article that linked to the following blog post
      -http://www.leadernotes.com/2006/04/how_to_raise_500000_from_middl.html

      A reminder of how these tools, used well, can really and truly change
      the world - one person at a time.

      I suspect that there are things that many people on this list could do
      to help - and that there is much that all of us - whether for our own
      non-profits or our for-profit ventures - could learn from what they are
      doing and achieving.

      It appears that they are getting the attention of the mass media as well
      - but that their focus remains on holding events and spreading awareness
      one person at a time.

      A few (among many) notable items:

      - they sell their DVD's of the "rough cut" of their film in packs of two
      - asking that people pass one along to friends

      - they ask that all public screenings of the film, which they are happy
      to have people organize, be free (but that DVD's are available for sale)

      - they are working with some companies on related products, and one of
      their projects is (very smartly I think) looking at ways to have people
      in Uganda build bracelets for sale overseas

      - they are thinking really big - with a goal of raising funds to support
      100,000 children in Uganda through high school

      - on April 29th they will be doing a lot of very smart things - filming
      the gatherings, being well organized about the process, asking all
      attendees to write a letter to the president, a letter to one of their
      senators (with stamped envelopes provided), and to create a work of art
      w/photo - with the artworks to be gathered up and used to create a book
      for later sale

      i.e. they are harnessing letters from youth (and their parents) to have
      a targeted impact directly on elected officials, and at the same time
      they are building products with their community

      Impressive and very much of the YouTube/MySpace generation.

      Shannon