Travel plans and Publishing strategy

    Message 1 of 4 , May 8, 2007
      I will be attending a meeting in Budapest, Hungary on May 23-24 related
      to our video bridges. Thanks to Franz Nahrada, our Folk creativity club
      "Atzalynas" in Vilnius, Lithuania has won 10,000 euros as part of a
      project organized by Christiane Fischer, Christoph Spehr and Benjamin
      Moldenhauer. All of the projects encourage "utopists" to give thought
      to the "North-South" dimension.

      I am thinking that it would be good to visit Vienna and Kirchbach at
      this time and learn more about building video bridges. But even better
      would be to bring somebody from Lithuania so that they could learn and
      it would not all depend on me. Indeed, I have two friends who are
      interested, and I think both met Franz when he was here. Rytis Umbrasas
      is a network administrator and Rimas Morkunas is a documentary film
      maker. Both are very experienced and also interested to learn how to
      build video bridges and help with that for our projects.

      Optimally, we would travel from Saturday, May 19 to Sunday, May 27. We
      might plan to be:
      * in Vienna the nights of May 20, 21
      * in Kirchbach the night of May 22
      * in Budapest the night of May 23, 24
      then back in Kirchbach and/or Vienna and home.

      We could learn about equipment and make decisions on what to buy and
      hopefully buy some at a good price. I need to contribute 4,000 euros in
      equipment towards expenses. We need to have at least two units in
      Lithuania, one that is at the club, and a mobile one that can be
      anywhere in Lithuania.

      Also, I think it would be appropriate to spend some of this money on a
      video camera for use by our participants in Kenya. I saw DVD camcorders
      here for 400 euros that can write directly to a DVD. I think that is
      very important because the disks are inexpensive (2 USD) and can be
      easily published and distributed. I might also buy some cameras. They
      are about 200 euros more or less and can also be used for short videos.
      I ask our colleagues in Kenya and Africa to think how we might best use
      these cameras and justify their purchase. For example, I imagine it is
      possible to earn money by filming weddings and other ceremonies. What
      ideas do you have?

      Samwel, your team earned money for such projects. I sent the wireless
      Internet access points. Did you manage to set them up? How are you
      using them? Would you and your team like to dedicate the rest of the
      money to a video camera? Or what would be most useful?

      If we can, then we'll ask Agnese to bring them to Africa, but if that is
      too complicated now, then we can do that some time in the future,
      perhaps in the fall. My priority now is to practice with the equipment
      in Lithuania. It would certainly be good to collaborate with our teams
      in Africa.

      In Lithuania, we will be conducting at least 12 video bridges. Each one
      will help some independent thinker pursue a question they don't know the
      answer to, but wish to answer. We will link up the thinker with
      somebody they would like to learn from. We will record the interaction
      and invite others to participate on either side. We will also help
      people in Lithuania stay in touch through a printed newsletter because
      many people don't have access to the Internet.

      I think this leads naturally to the publishing of CDs. I imagine each
      CD dedicated to one of our independent thinkers. It would present the
      world from their point of view, everything that might be important for
      us to understand them. It would include:
      * their writings
      * their letters and the entire archives for the groups that they
      participate in
      * chat transcripts
      * audio recordings, including interviews with them (perhaps recorded
      Skype conversations) or lectures that they might give about their work
      * video recordings, including the video bridge
      * relevant portions of our wiki
      * reference works that they consider important, for example, all of the
      Wikipedia articles that relate to their interests
      * classic books
      * archives of relevant stories
      * relevant activity by others at our lab and beyond
      And it would be accompanied by a newsletter that would summarize what's
      inside, but especially, how people might engage the thinker, pursue
      their ideas and support their endeavors.

      For example, I can easily imagine CDs focused on:
      * Franz Nahrada and "global villages"
      * Lucas Gonzalez Santa Cruz and "flu pandemic"
      * Pamela McLean and "learning from each other"
      * Benoit Couture and "going from the organic unit of spiritual division
      to the Organic Experience of Spiritual Unity"
      * Jeff Buderer and "being connected to ourselves"
      * Andrius Kulikauskas and "living by truth"
      and many more!

      Each CD would be like a "personal Internet" that would allow one to
      delve into a person's world. I think that they would be especially
      meaningful for people "on a desert island" who don't have access to the
      Internet. This is the situation for many people. I believe that there
      are many, many people who might find ten hours a week to work on their
      ideas, and might even find an old computer, and would deeply engage such
      ideas if they only had them available. They don't need to have access
      to the Internet. And this would inspire them to collect their own ideas
      and publish them.

      They would be free to distribute the disks. Our lab would publish
      authors who want to place their own writing in the Public Domain, and we
      would also include reference works that allow for such sharing (such as
      Wikipedia), or works that allow for fair use for research.

      People would be encouraged to make copies of the disks and accompanying
      newsletters and share them further. We would also mail them out for
      free to those who distribute them locally or who contribute their own
      material in the Public Domain, and we would have workers (like Sasha)
      who would type that material so that goes to the relevant thinkers and
      groups. This way we can include people who don't participate through
      the Internet or not too actively. And they would get feedback through
      the CDs, newsletters and also through a Internet page that focuses on
      them and response to them.

      We will also find ways for people to get used laptops as Sasha Mrkailo
      suggested. Indeed, I think this is a good way to experiment now with
      the possibilities for the "One Laptop Per Child" vision. Except that my
      interest is to focus on the most mature adults, what might they
      accomplish if they weren't marginalized? And how might the youth serve
      them and thereby learn from them? In my experience, young people are
      nimble with technology but lack for what to say, whereas there are those
      who indeed have much of significance to say, but need help with the
      technology. My wish is to include them in our work together.

      I want to build software that would let them work with a browser to read
      from the CD but to write onto the computer or onto a flash drive. For
      example, they can contribute their replies to letters, or create or edit
      wiki pages, or collect and contribute stories. There is so much that
      they can do without having "real time" connection with us. And then at
      some point their flash drive can be delivered to an Internet cafe and
      their contributions can get uploaded to our system. This is not very
      difficult to program. I believe that this would be a real revolution in
      terms of including deep thinkers around the world and encouraging such
      behavior.

      We will also work with our colleagues in Africa and other countries so
      that they can assemble computers or otherwise get them in the most
      rational ways, perhaps many different kinds of ways. And to make sure
      that they have essential equipment which might include flash drives, web
      cams, sound cards, head sets, (as Asif has been suggesting) depending on
      the situation. I think it is good to keep trying a little bit but also
      to be patient and keep learning so that we apply our resources and our
      relationships thoughtfully.

      This is my vision that we are feeding with our many endeavors. Please
      keep writing about what we wish to accomplish and why. Sasha and I are
      collecting them here:
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Endeavors
      and we'll be relating them to our deepest values and investigatory
      questions.

      I encourage especially: Janet Feldman, Pamela McLean, Maria Agnese
      Giraudo, Jeff Buderer, Joy Tang, Benoit Couture, Steve Bosserman, Greg
      Wolff, Markus Petz, Synnove Mathe, Shahrez Khan, Dante Gabryell Monson,
      Graham Douglas, Terry Mace, Eluned Hurn, Paul Prueitt, Richard Nelson,
      Asif Daya, what would you like to accomplish? what might we accomplish
      together? Please summarize for us!

      What do you think about this? What would you add? Or focus on? For
      me, the new idea is for each CD to revolve around one independent
      thinker and their vision of what is important. I think that's a dream
      that I have had. Of course, these materials would all be organized
      through the web and presented there and continuously updated.

      Agnese, do you like this idea? If you do, then it would be great if you
      might pursue this topic at the conference with our colleagues in Africa.

      Agnese, Asif, Samwel and all, Thank you for all of the excitement you
      are building!

      +370 (699) 30003
      Vilnius, Lithuania
    • samuel kongere
      Message 2 of 4 , May 11, 2007
        I know all of us are doing well. I have been focusing on the discussions going on in the lab. I am sorry i have missed great mails for the last four days. I just want to say, that the e-learning conference is taking most of my time. Many people want to join us but some are answering our questions while others just need automatic help from us. These people need accommodation and Transport to the conference. Some have unexpected budget for accommodation and transport. I am requesting for one open session at the conference to expound on what MINICIU SODAS Lab do in our social network. I have told them MS will be my host to deliver, what do you all think? We can give a presentation in inviting members to our network, tell them what roles we can do in the future  in e-learning conferences. I will at the same time explore my endeavors. Me and Maria can introduce the Lab to conference attendants.

        Andrius, I know you are waiting to get my clear response towards the interested people as we were investigating where they come from and what their interests are, questions and endeavors! Some of the responses I have received, I am going to attach to you in another mail. I am sending to you. Some have responded and even the organizers were happy with the questionnaire and thanked you for the great work. How can we get to these people by working with them or can we both with Maria organize to give a session on MS lab? and after wards get the interested people invited to join us?.

        You had told me about the Video Digital Camera and we were focusing on how to use it, on what programmes and for our income generations. I know you initially planned that I will overlap with my travels to collect information in different parts of Kenya or East Africa. I can work with it in making emotional documentaries. Yes! having such a device in a rural community can help improve livelihood by taking pictures at ceremonies like weddings, occasions, parties, canoe competitions, children and many more. What remains here is how? We must get the technical awareness; on how to use the machine. I believe it is one of the trainings I should get before I start video conferencing, but As I know our people need the device very much. We have to bring our minds together before such to a venture is made.

        The two wireless routers you sent us, are beneficial to us. We were happy to succeed in connecting them to work. We can only work with them in one room, connecting more than four computers. At the moment one is kept and we use one. We are working hard to buy land for the resource center. Already we have raised 400 USD for the purchase of the piece of land which is going to cost 2000 USD. This will allow us put our ideas at one place. We stop paying rent and help get funds to facilitate our endeavors. This place will host Malaria Control Office, HIV/Aids counseling and referrals, ICT for training while the school will remain at the Rural Lambwe division but having it's secretariat working in an office at the resource center. I therefore say, we can work out for video camcorder later in the fall, to help figure out our priorities for using it. I know we can earn money by using them but I know our folks, if anything is not planned properly, we might run at a big loss.

        Andrius as you go on to calculate what you have paid me and my team for the work we did at My food Story. I would still propose you still keep the balance for further direction. We need a trained team and more focused endeavors. I am having a meeting with the Malaria team this Day to plan with them on the money Chris gave us and do thorough planning with them before I leave for Nairobi. You were talking about shoe stories and i have been focusing on how to make the ball role for it and many are cropping in before thinking. We agreed i will collect shoes stories when you tell me to. This Month I am getting the opportunity to get more Kenyans and put more work in Malaria as the weather is not good, our crops not getting enough rainfall and all Malaria Surveillance team members are collecting mosquito samples and helping doctors to focus on infections.

        Let me Have a clear focus on my Endeavors and position myself well to respond to Chris, Asif, Peter, Maria, and the people focusing together with me at the e-learning conference. I thank all for the good mails and encouragement. To all members we will have a meeting in Nairobi in the last day of May. I will send you the answers from those who need our support but only if they can work for us.

        Buy Samwel

        http://www.ms. lt
        ms@...
        +370 (699) 30003
        Vilnius, Lithuania

        Got a little couch potato?

      • christopher macrae
        Message 3 of 4 , May 11, 2007
          Samuel -you asked for do-now lists from me and others

          My chosen foci would be:
          1 Make sure that the most trusted people you work in Kenya  with have enough to keep going

          2 Primary applications that I understand :

          a anything on malaria that provides some demonstration of results ( the 2 sides of this being making life a little bit safer for community/children and satisfying Peter Burgess's criteria so that over time he can recommend people work with or fund your team) peterbnyc@... http://immconsortium.org

          b stuff that makes you one of the most trusted local people in the long-term or ITC knowhow developments that orphans need where I know people who might be able to innovate huge transformations at Mbita or Kibera if we could get you to be one of the people everyone doing chnage on orphans takes advice from so that all planning decisions are transparent ahead of time http://kibera.tv

          Regarding a I have no detalied expertise or connections - so assume you and Peter will teamlead

          Regarding b whom you know, how we can get you to know more of the goodwilled powers that be, whether we can utube stories of Kenya child,  what decision choices are being made ahead of time are vital for me to hear about if I am to find ways to get world class experts to join in at exactly the right time;

          on both a &b in an ideal colaboration mapmaking world:  it also helps to know whom any of your co-workers meet -for example regarding malaria anyone to do with BRAC or Paul Farmer is vital because these 2 organisations invest in empowering community healthwork; with regard to developing sites where orphans live anyone to do with Wangari Maathai is useful environmentally as well as more obviously anyone who influences how system investment in children and schools happens

          If you were expecting my summary to say something different, please say. Like you I am working on dozens of critical things, so I need memory double-checking if it looks as if I have missed a link.

          And finally, strange as it may seem a virtual event called http://24weeks.com starting in a week and whose leaders include Tav Ino and Kenya lover Guilhem Buzenet both accessible via www.facebook.com
          is probably the biggest change activist event ever staged by ordinary people; it would be urgently good if some local people in Africa find out how to connect with it

          chris macrae http://macrae.tv

          Web email has come of age. Don't settle for less than the All New Yahoo! Mail.
        • Jeff Buderer
          Message 4 of 4 , May 14, 2007
            Just to chime in this one...

            I spoke to Gary Bolles by phone last week regarding a panel discussion I am putting together on the Economics of Community Wireless Networks in Emerging Markets at the Community Wireless Summit in DC on May 19th (more on that here) and we got into his and also that of  Kevin Jones with the Anglican Malaria Project which worked in Mozambique and Swaziland to eradicate Malaria. So he might be a potential resource in this effort in terms of his connections, knowledge and experiences.

            The key thing is to find a focus or a converging set set of complementary focuses that all relate to each other on some level synergistically and keep focused on developing that program so that it can be sustained while providing real services to the communities and people in need and with the goal of eventually replicating that somewhere else.

            Jeff

            Samuel -you asked for do-now lists from me and others

            My chosen foci would be:
            1 Make sure that the most trusted people you work in Kenya  with have enough to keep going

            2 Primary applications that I understand :

            a anything on malaria that provides some demonstration of results ( the 2 sides of this being making life a little bit safer for community/children and satisfying Peter Burgess's criteria so that over time he can recommend people work with or fund your team) peterbnyc@gmail. com http://immconsortiu m.org