RE: [learningfromeachother] Re: Chris Macrae meet David Mutua

  • samuel kongere
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2007
      Asif

      I still admire your interests and hope you keep us Up dated. I know David Mutua as a friend and partner in ICT. I met them with Derrick Odemba at the Africa source II In Uganda and since then we are having the same focus in using Information Communication Technology for Development (CT4D) our focus is the rural Kenya and internet connection can eanhance telemedicine reporting.

      I can share my technology hub reference to adventure.The only practical solution to Kenya’s Economic, social and rural technology is improving education structure and elevate it to one that shall impart practical, research based survival skills which may not be provided by the government, but a role to be played by NGOs and CBOS.  This project aims to form a resource center server/terminal for marginalized communities living in Lake Victoria region of Nyanza Province , and involve in coordinating the services of Udogo to various parts of the country as a gateway to the planned resource centers in the other regions in the country.  Some of the projects already in operation include PLWHAS inventory cataloging, community empowerment in malaria control through Christian children Fund Rusinga Island ( Kenya ) community Malaria Surveillance Team (MSTs), Arts and crafts production and community literacy knowledge finding.  The challenge faced in these programmes is that of implementing ICT component a way to bridge the digital divides.  Udogo is extending the ICT aided education to all and across borders of our district Suba.  A central resource centers can be in Mbita.  This centre will take the role of coordinating all resource centers , through this innovative.

       I hope it will of interset to you and if you succeed in getting the fund, we can explore the focus together.
      Sam.

      Hi David:

      I too was born in Kenya as was my father. He was born in Eldoret and I in Nairobi where I grew up. We are Indians in ancestry. I have spent most of my adult life outside Kenya – visiting every 2-3 years or so. I now live in the USA .
      We have a train dedicated to our services that we use to go to the rural areas and we provide Health Education (it’s done yearly by the local hospitals) and general education (provided by UoN). We are interested in Malaria studies and Health Care. We would also like to set up internet services to hubs that are not more than 300 Kms away. This will be part of a grant. The grant will also set up telemedicine centers and improve local hospitals to have e-medicine capabilities. This is a multi-year project. Right now the grant is with UoN waiting for completion – I completed my part and the budget. (UoN – University of Nairobi – School of Medicine ). – waiting for their section to be completed – and yes – they are slow. We already got the Provosts approval letter. They just need to add their section. I am hoping we can exchange some practical ideas and get this to fruition.
      Take Care.