Re: utube stories of kenya child Re: [mendenyo] Chris: Assembling Computers? Pamela: Skype?

  • samuel kongere
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2007

      Chris,

      I have been working with children  for along time and  making them have stories is good and fine. You mentioned a mobile stuff, I don't have the Mobile stuff which you say and if having it can make have a 2-minute story, then I am ready. I believe having  a digital video Camera can help me faster to make a video. Or this is not what is needed. We can get children's stories from child care centers, fish beaches, homes, and cities.

      Your suggestions makes me eager and wanting to do more of information handling. I love the way you suggest. Tell me what me to do.
      Sam

      MBITA  040305-KENYA.
      Cell: +254 725 600 439
      FOSS ADMIRER
      Community Development

      Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.
    • christopher macrae
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2007
        Yes Samuel - anyone who has read your reporting from Kenya's World Social Forum http://kibera.tv/_wsn/page2.html will know that grassroots journalism for kibera and empowerment of action projects round children - is in good hands and brave hearts when you are participating

        I am a complete ignoramus on the whole utube uploading process and what is the simplest mobile to do this with, and whether doing this out of Kenya may have any additional problems to check on than eg uploading out of London

        I am asking tav to reply (sofia please give him a ring to make sure mail gets through), among other projects he has coordinated is http://green.tv ; of course if anyone else wants to add their views please say. You can see some of tav's ambitious plans to start connecting 1 million people from every locality at http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=593997068&highlight and I will also post this at http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=2368192864&topic=2343 in case there are alternative view across the people networks

        What's criticial as far as I see it is to make sure that one mobile camera is in the hands of local people so that eg stories out of Kibera are always re-edited to empower all local flows and not just sensatioalise one story or another. Unfortunately, at least in my opinion, many of the global aid organisations come in, record a story that campiagns for their own funds and don't give back even 1% let alone 100%. Kibera and similar places need to become their own storytelling centres and these need to empower development truthes and systems the way that you local people can best sustain/care about

        Which of the 60 utubes on Kibera http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kibera&search=Search are already empowering enough and which are failing to tell how to contact grassroots project leaders?

        Apologies if the above is clumsily worded. Truth is quite a simple story both to tell and to abuse. And by the time world media has edited soundbites in and out, the original reality and the audience perception often become detached. Utube potentially gives that power of truth-retelling back to each local community. As long as we can get a mobile of usable sort into your hands

        samuel kongere <samkongere2004@...> wrote:

        Chris,

        I have been working with children  for along time and  making them have stories is good and fine. You mentioned a mobile stuff, I don't have the Mobile stuff which you say and if having it can make have a 2-minute story, then I am ready. I believe having  a digital video Camera can help me faster to make a video. Or this is not what is needed. We can get children's stories from child care centers, fish beaches, homes, and cities.

        Your suggestions makes me eager and wanting to do more of information handling. I love the way you suggest. Tell me what me to do.
        Sam

        MBITA  040305-KENYA.
        Cell: +254 725 600 439
        FOSS ADMIRER
        Community Development
        Previously Chris wrote:

        My grandad used to say:  nothing is impossible. I wish he was hear now to echo his story of how we was changed from British Raj judge involved in imprisoning Gandhi to scripting the legal language for India's Declaration of Independnce negotiated between Gandhi and Mountbatten et al

        ok so we launched http://kibera.tv today which is a network for anyone who wants to openly action and connect Kibera projects (or projects applicable to similar huge slums) to suggest what content flows need to be seen next to each other to systematically transform Kibera lifestyles especially for 50000 orphans

        we will specifically challenge particular groups of professionals

         - architects being one not just because of Rick/solaroof network but because of the Wish of Cameron Sinclair made at same time and conference as the wish that turned Larry Brilliant into the most connected person at google.org; note too that Sir Nick Stern as a young man was primarily influenced by 2 grassroots empowerment economics context - one being Kenya

        education and new technologies of eg MIT media lab being another http://up200.tv/_wsn/page14.html

        economists being another as May is the month of dad and my annual socila entrepreneurial survey of a cross-section of the shareholders of The Economist

         to whether they have any open collaboration projects..

        . you tell me which professional group you can ask whether they have any knowledge to open source around Kibera

        we will ask those who have already declared mega-initiatives in Kenya whether any of what they are doing also has actionable transfer to Kibera

        just like Grameen became Bangladesh's most inspiring brand, there is every reason why Kibera transformation can become Kenya's most popular brand

        we will aim to lobby for those that pass your transparency auditing test both from the media people who have just collected 60 million dollars primarily on this type of child's story but also all future global initiative meetings where people start mentioning Kibera; we will continue to develop the 5 year old model of http://universityofstars.tv which twins celebrities with heroes; star youth mentoring with having a mission in life; and who all youth idolise from image-makers to include sustainability reality makers; we will blend this with London's 5 year campaign http://passports.jp which requires the BBC to become active in investigative journalism of sustainability and transparency instead of just being another sports and trivial pursuit channel;

        25 years is too long to wait for mass media to get investigative about grassroots reporting and actionable projects http://normanmacrae.com/netfuture.html
        henceforth a public broadcaster must be different from commercial tv otherwise it has no function;