Re: [holistichelping] Africa Webinar, Our Resources and Our Endeavors

  • tom ochuka
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 26, 2007
      Dear Andrius Am Just from Atrip in North rift in
      kenya..well
      1 I must say his is great...I wish we had acomp
      connected to an internet
      However..I Must say thanks
      The deaf is adisabled group ,very poor in
      kenya..acatually very different from the rest of the
      deaf in other dveloped countries,deafness ascoused by
      malaria kills abig number and if not then one just
      become deaf.
      Over this ast months Andrius has been our link along
      side others,org organisation provides aforum wherevthe
      deaf can be fully recorganised as human beings who
      needs what you need.
      This time we are seeking to link with individuals in
      Ares of farming ,health, Education and Arts to help
      this group of people.
      This group actually..has problems that are holistic
      hence to solve them ..it must be holisic ..
      Thanks to all in the WEBINAR.
      God bless
      Thanks
      TOM OCHUKA.

      === message truncated ===

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • tom ochuka
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 26, 2007
        Dear Andrius Am Just from Atrip in North rift in
        kenya..well
        1 I must say his is great...I wish we had acomp
        connected to an internet
        However..I Must say thanks
        The deaf is adisabled group ,very poor in
        kenya..acatually very different from the rest of the
        deaf in other dveloped countries,deafness ascoused by
        malaria kills abig number and if not then one just
        become deaf.
        Over this ast months Andrius has been our link along
        side others,org organisation provides aforum wherevthe
        deaf can be fully recorganised as human beings who
        needs what you need.
        This time we are seeking to link with individuals in
        Ares of farming ,health, Education and Arts to help
        this group of people.
        This group actually..has problems that are holistic
        hence to solve them ..it must be holisic NEEDING
        ACOLLECTIVE RESPONSIBILITY...

        === message truncated ===

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Maria Agnese Giraudo
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 26, 2007
          Dear Tom,
          I really touched by your message. We really don't understand how deep are problems, difficult is life in Africa  specially for disable people and how people is great there! I desire to meet you in Nairobi. I'll be there on the 27th of May. Please inform me of detail of your bursary for participation to e-learning conference.
          All the best!
          Maria Agnese Giraudo

          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/holistiche lping/message/ 907

> [...]
          > useful. It's not that hard for me to program that.
          > Let's make sure that
          > we each have our own computers so that we don't have
          > to sit too long in
          > the Internet cafes. And lets learn to think deeply
          > without computers,
          > too! And to work on-the-ground but know that we are
          > connected.
          >
          > I also sent
          > 400 USD to SashaMrkailo in Serbia
          > for his assistance in April and May. Sasha is
          > active at our chat
          > channel http://www.worknets .org/chat/ and our wiki
          > http://www.worknets .org He is so helpful and this
          > is a great
          > opportunity to learn how to use our websites and to
          > get support for our
          > work on our pages for our projects. I encourage us
          > to ask for his
          > help. Let's experiment with what is most useful.

          === message truncated ===

          Do You Yahoo!?
          http://mail. yahoo.com

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 26, 2007
            Hello Dear Tom, Maria, Andrius, Asif, and All,

            I will be with you in spirit today, and hope to "attend" an upcoming session myself!  Asif and I have been in touch regarding his project and travels, and I'm hoping he and his team will be able to get to Kisumu, Mumias, Mbita--as well as Nairobi and elsewhere--when he is able to get to Kenya. Otherwise for all of us to work together virtually, with resulting actions and growth on the ground.

            Maria Agnese, your offer of helping Tom is so deeply generous, and I'm hoping you can both discuss this bursary soon. I have a feeling, based on the letter I saw from the conference organizers to Tom, that probably he will need his own funding. This in large part because of a lack to date of actual computers or an e-learning environment.

            This is what we hope to build:  a center where people who are deaf--and perhaps have other disabilities (or "different abilities")--can gather for e-learning, training, and education. As well as performance of plays, making of videos, and other means of educating both those who are deaf, and the hearing world around them too!

            In Kenya, it is still very burdensome to be deaf:  there is a stigma to it almost akin to having HIV/AIDS. People who are deaf usually have less opportunities, less ability to communicate and to realize their dreams and goals. They are as a group very susceptible to HIV/AIDS (as prevention and education campaigns are not targeted towards them), and they face great difficulties in terms of income-generation, adequate nutrition, and having a good quality of life.

            Tom is working very hard daily to address this:   he is trying to get to conferences where he can tell people about the situation and make allies, he does extensive outreach to find partners, he has developed a wealth of ideas and plans, he has tried to provide as much education, healthcare, testing, and skills-building as he and his team can, with meager resources.

            Going to this conference will open up a new world, as will meeting you and the others!   Upcoming hopes, as he has outlined to me, include getting at least one computer (and eventually more for the learning center), developing a center, getting more children tested (for hearing loss) and helped in terms of their hearing, getting some sewing machines with which to offer skills-building.  All of these are relatively inexpensive (a computer is $200, sewing machine $75, testing is $65 for a large group of children).

            We in this and related MS forums may not be able to help with everything--and some of us have already been helpful in invaluable ways (thanks to Andrius, Maria, and others!)--but this above is just to outline what is needed, the better to brainstorm about what is possible for us, and how we might help Tom to connect to other forms of human and material resources outside of our circles too.

            What Asif, Andrius, Pam, and others will be doing with the Webinar is equally invaluable, especially with regard to the meeting, sharing, networking, and learning involved.  "Meaningful inclusion"--as Markus knows--in addition to "holistic helping" and "learning from each other" are all addressed or come into play with this type of activity, and that can form a solid foundation for turning hopes and dreams into reality!

            With greatest thanks, blessings to all, and love, and am so excited that some of you will be meeting in Nairobi, as well as attending the EA Telecentre meeting in June!!!  Have an amazing Webinar, and may it only be the first by far!  Janet

> [...]

            > useful. It's not that hard for me to program that.
            > Let's make sure that
            > we each have our own computers so that we don't have
            > to sit too long in
            > the Internet cafes. And lets learn to think deeply
            > without computers,
            > too! And to work on-the-ground but know that we are
            > connected.
            >
            > I also sent
            > 400 USD to SashaMrkailo in Serbia
            > for his assistance in April and May. Sasha is
            > active at our chat
            > channel http://www.worknets .org/chat/ and our wiki
            > http://www.worknets .org He is so helpful and this
            > is a great
            > opportunity to learn how to use our websites and to
            > get support for our
            > work on our pages for our projects. I encourage us
            > to ask for his
            > help. Let's experiment with what is most useful.

            === message truncated ===

            Do You Yahoo!?
            http://mail. yahoo.com

          • Pamela McLean
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 27, 2007
              "Tom's concern with deafness." - was Re: [holistichelping] Africa
              Webinar, Our Resources and Our Endeavors

              Please be aware that I have two contacts in Nigeria with similar concerns.

              One runs a "school for the handicapped" in Okeho. He has pupils with
              various disabilities, but his personal special interest is with pupils
              who are deaf.

              The other is a primary school teacher in Sake. He is very keen to teach
              parents and other teachers about sign language. From what he has told me
              I think he feels that once people understand that there are ways to
              communicate with deaf people, then parents will be more open about
              having such problems in their families. As a result the hopes that the
              children who are deaf will get a better chance of being included and
              educated.

              Deaf people are marginalised.

              There is a deaf man in Ago-Are. I am ashamed to admit that twice he has
              come asking for money when I have been out in the evening with friends
              and both times I was so confused by what happened that I gave him nothing.

              This is what happened. We were chatting and relaxing, and enjoying cold
              drinks out side the shop that sells them, sitting on plastic chairs, in
              the darkness of the evening.

              I noticed someone getting up from the floor near our chairs, and
              walking away. Someone said to me by way of explanation " He is deaf".
              Then I realised what must have happened - which I had not really noticed
              - because of the darkness and our lively conversation.

              The man had come towards us to beg, and had prostrated himself - ie - he
              had lain down flat in the dust near our feet. I didn't notice if anyone
              else gave him anything. I only noticed him as he was getting up. I was
              completely shocked to realise the significance of this man having put
              himself down so low on the ground. I told myself that if ever it
              happened again I should be sure to have some appropriate money to hand,
              as it would be terrible to appear to react again as if he was invisible.
              To my shame on a subsequent visit to Ago-Are the same thing happened
              again - and once again I was completely taken by surprise - and failed
              to respond.

              Regarding my contacts - I cannot put these teachers of the deaf in
              direct contact with Tom because they do not have any access to the
              Internet - but they are part of my network - and I feel they would
              benefit from the encouragement and support of knowing others involved in
              similar work and learning from each other. This failure to make the
              connection represents part of the problem I have of being an
              "information bottleneck" instead of an "information channel".

              Pam

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 27, 2007
                Hello Dear Pam, Tom, Maria, and All,

                How courageous you are to share this story, Pam (I think it's important to give you perspective about being a "coward", which you seem to be saying abt your actions or "non-actions" in this case). Your reaction perhaps carries with it a bit of the "foreigner", ie people who live regularly with the situation may not react the same way, but that's not necessarily a good thing...it means they have closed themselves off to empathy for this person, though they may be behaving as they have been taught to view him, and others with disabilities.

                At the same time your reaction and thoughts/feelings reveal that the "outsider" is also the person who is deaf. What you have shared is personal, but it can also be universalized to include and encapsulate the "whole" of this situation: the stigma, people's reactions, need for change, need for empathy but also skills-building and support for people with disabilities (financially and in many other ways).

                While it's true that "money isn't everything", in this case it does mean a great deal, especially because people with disabilities often have less access to income-generation opportunities. Equally important would be educational materials, training programs, ICTs, projects in the arts and media which could communicate to people (by deaf people and to them).

                I think it would be fantastic and invaluable if Tom and those you know who themselves have disabilities (or "different abilities"), or who work with those who do would link up somehow, and we as a whole partner with them as well. At MS-related groups we have a wealth of resources to offer, perhaps in addition to small grants here and there, and this could go some ways towards helping us ALL to "get up, stand up", as a popular song of protest--which also serves as a rallying cry--puts it.

                Let's consider ways that this might happen, despite the current lack of technology--which we might help to remedy in small ways ourselves--and to think of each of us as an "information channel" who occasionally experiences "bottlenecks" in our individual and collective capacity to easily connect. T

                This makes it (and us) seem less a "problem", and more on the order of a "challenge", one which will allow our own inner resources (creativity among them) to come to the fore. You have had considerable experience and success in that regard, and therefore will contribute vitally to whatever happens.

                With greatest thanks for sharing, Pam, which has provided an open window on an often-hidden world, and to everyone here, for your "stand-up" spirit!! Janet

> [...]
                >> > 400 USD to SashaMrkailo in Serbia
                >> > for his assistance in April and May. Sasha is
                >> > active at our chat
                >> > channel http://www.worknets .org/chat/
                >> <http://www.worknets.org/chat/> and our wiki
                >> > http://www.worknets .org <http://www.worknets.org/> He is so
                >> helpful and this
                >> > is a great
                >> > opportunity to learn how to use our websites and to
                >> > get support for our
                >> > work on our pages for our projects. I encourage us
                >> > to ask for his
                >> > help. Let's experiment with what is most useful.
                >> > Meanwhile, Sasha is
                >> >
                >> === message truncated ===
                >>
                >> ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __
                >> Do You Yahoo!?
                >> http://mail. yahoo.com <http://mail.yahoo.com/>
                >>

                >> L'email della prossima generazione? Puoi averla con la nuova Yahoo!

              • tom ochuka
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 30, 2007
                  Dear Andrius,Janet and all in the forum,
                  I must come up today after several travels to meetr
                  the deaf in the field,my work is still limited becaus
                  of lack of acomp.
                  well this time on my food stories is in Ahero
                  kochogo..here is Adhier born deaf and went to School
                  in sikri he learn Agricultu he is now producing to
                  matoes ans sell them in Ahero . Its quite tiresome but
                  he muct do it since h rents aroom and pay for
                  electricity. This money has helped him..so much..we ar
                  trying to keep him awayrom the local btew affecting
                  his life..He is streesd because he is deaf so he tries
                  to take this drnk to forget his phisical challenge.

                  Near the Railway line west of kisumu..is Nyamongo 40
                  yrs and single he has tried to get married 3times but
                  they live him because h is deaf howver he is aproducwr
                  pf onoins he is suplying in kibuye this is abig market
                  io Eafrica..with this money he rentsaroom..he is
                  limitd in that he needs abike to supply this proceds
                  the little can only pay rent..he plants the Grass
                  onion.

                  Iam impreesd with afamily of Wachara ..he cant remmber
                  Exact date of births as he was born hearing but lost
                  the parents ...he keeps pigs this man is wonderfull he
                  is also ashoe repairer he laernt in adeaf school..I
                  hope we shall have him mor e in my food stories.
                  He only sell pigs that are grown up tp the butchers
                  recently he enjoyed abig boost sine many peopleDID NOT
                  TAKE OTHER MEET DUE TO RVF..CAUSED BUT OTHER MEET.
                  He is maried nad keeps his family.

                  === message truncated ===

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • tom ochuka
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 30, 2007
                    Dear Andrius and Ms Lab TEAM,
                    Isaac Adede is ateacher who learnt the sighuage and
                    is now farming he and the group are ..doing the
                    sunflower ,this crop is introduce in Ngere Ahero to
                    help the community who are lowincome earners recently
                    the brought apressing machine that will be preesing
                    the oil.
                    With this production the community arround will
                    benefit they also provide seedsto thosewho register
                    with the group.
                    CONTACT
                    ISAAC ADDEDE
                    AIC NGERE
                    P.O.BOX
                    68 AHERO,
                    KENYA.

                    2 Mirriam 19yrs old is ayouth from Angoro village born
                    deaf she lost both parents..to aroad accident.she
                    visit homes to ask for seeds to plant in her family
                    garden,
                    She is producing cow pease and take to anearby awasi
                    market.
                    Her customersare mostly nuses who eork in Adispensary
                    in Ahero.
                    She has aplan to start apoultry farm to help her do
                    tailorig couse and buy atailoring machine for
                    livelihood.
                    she can be contacted through
                    DEAF IMPACT
                    BOX 3100 KISUMU.

                    GOD BLESS ALL
                    TOM OCHUKA.

                    === message truncated ===

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • samuel kongere
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 1, 2007

                      Hi Tom,

                      You are becoming much fantastic and I am really moved by this story. I will becoming later in the year at Rabour to take a colleague who is doing internship there, I would like to meet this man and get at least one story.

                      Thanks! Maria wanted to pay for you at the e-learning conference but I still wait for the confirmation from their coordinator, if It is possible for them if you never registered. Did you register?. Even if you never registered we must meet in Nairobi after the E-learning with you, Ken Owino, Maria, David Mutua, Silvio and other two to strategies our regional network. I invite you to join our worknet for 'men without food' I know as A Lou you get the words well with meaning send a blank mail thro' Men Denyo at yahoo groups <mendenyo@yahoogroups.com

                      I wish you a wonderful may Day for workers
                      Sam

                      === message truncated ===

                      Do You Yahoo!?
                      http://mail. yahoo.com