FREE WEBINAR: Investigations with African Independent Thinkers

  • subscribe@studynook.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 23, 2007

      Limited (FREE) Registration Now Open for a Live Webinar

      Title: Investigations with African Independent Thinkers

      Speaker: Andrius Kulikauskas, Ph.D.

      Date: Thursday, April 26, 2007

      Time: 10:30 am Eastern (Arrive at 10:00 for a tutorial on Elluminate) Presentation will last 1.5 hours with 0.5 hours for questions after the presentation.(Please go to http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meeting.html  to confirm your time zone.)

      Cost: FREE - But 1st come first seated - limited seating.

      More Information: http://www.trainerspod.com/info/

      Register: http://www.trainerspod.com/register

      Event Background

      Andrius Kulikauskas leads the Minciu Sodas laboratory http://www.ms.lt for serving and organizing independent thinkers around the world. We are interested to include the widest variety of independent thinkers. Currently, we are especially active in Africa, with paid researchers in Kenya , Uganda , Tanzania , Nigeria and Cameroon .

      The speaker will provide examples of how we have engaged African independent thinkers and how they are inspiring us as leaders at our laboratory. By focusing on "independent thinkers" we are able to select those participants who it is wise to invest in. They "work for free" on their own projects and thereby demonstrative that they are constructive self-directed workers. In this way we filter out those who might behave destructively for the sake of attention or money.

      We have found that independent thinkers in Africa can work in increments of 100 USD to conduct a variety of exciting projects that also make them more verifiable, such as collecting personal stories, interviewing local activists, or drawing social maps. We are especially interested in pairing independent thinkers online in the developed world and on-the-ground in the developing world.

      An initial project helps them understand each other in terms of their values and investigatory questions. It is then possible to start work on on-the-ground projects such as fish ponds, greenhouses, wireless Internet access, computer assembly, and local shoe production. Our African participants have taken the lead in our on-the-ground work, in representing us at conferences, in reaching out to new participants based on their values, in experimenting with business ideas, in making good use of marginal Internet access, in multilingual participation, and in linking our global network with local circles.

      About the Presenter

      Andrius Kulikauskas, Ph.D. is the founder of Minciu Sodas. In 1993, he received his Ph.D. in mathematics from the University of California at San Diego . His deepest value is "living by truth" and he is exploring "How does the knowledge of everything unfold?" He seeks to know everything and apply that knowledge usefully.

      We have limited "seats" for this event. The webinar is entirely free of charge and there is a huge level of interest in hearing about open-source applications. Seats will be allocated on a first come first served basis. Register for the event by visiting: http://www.trainerspod.com/register.

      The minimum PC requirements are a Pentium III 500 MHz CPU running Windows 98/ME/2000/XP with 128MB of memory and a sound card.  The minimum Mac requirements are Mac OS 9.1/9.2, Mac OS X 10.1.5/10.2/10.3/10.4, running on a G3 233 MHz CPU with either 64 MB (OS 9), 128 MB (OS X 10.1.5/10.2/10.3) or 256 MB (OS X 10.4).

      To get maximum benefit from Elluminate Live!, all users should have a microphone and speakers.

      Trainerspod.com seeks to provide free access to these events to raise knowledge and awareness of the issues, practices and needs of e-Learning practitioners and researchers around the world.

      We are indebted to Elluminate (www.elluminate.com) in sponsoring us and providing a platform for the exchange of knowledge.

      Visit http://www.elluminate.com/support-portal/ to search for a solution or contact a support representative.

      Also visit www.elluminate.com/support

      TRAINERSPOD© - 2007 - All rights reserved
      1273 Neapolitan Rd. , Punta Gorda , FL USA 33983
      Asif Daya
      USF
      info@...

    • samuel kongere
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 24, 2007

        Compiled By Samwel Konngere
        MILLET Background Information a bout millet Millet (bel) is one of the oldest foods known to humans and possibly the first cereal grain to be used for domestic purposes, most Nilotic tribes known as the river lake Nilotes. It is mentioned in the Bible, and was used during those times to make bread. Millet has been used in Africa and India as a staple food for thousands of years and it was grown as early as 2700 BC in China where it was the prevalent grain before rice became the dominant staple.
        It is documented that the plant was also grown by the lake dwellers of Switzerland during the Stone Age. Today millet ranks as one of most important grain in the world and especially in Kenya a long the Lake Victoria region as the story is told by John Ouma of Rusinga Island, sustains 3/4 of the area�s population and is a significant part of the diet in almost all the households. Millet is a major crop in many of these districts, Nyando, Bondo, Homa-bay Migori and Suba, particularly Suba and Bondo where the crop covers almost 1-2 Thousands acres, and thrives in the hot dry climates that are not conducive to growing other grains such as wheat and rice.
        Growing
        Millet is mainly grown during the long rainy season from March to July. Once out of the hull, millet grains look like tiny yellow spheres with a dot on one side where it was attached to the stem. This gives the seeds an appearance similar to tiny, pale yellow beads.
        Millet is unique due to its short growing season. It can develop from a planted seed to a mature, ready to harvest plant in as little as 65 days. This is an important consideration for areas where food is needed for many.
        Planting is done after a through ploughing using Oxen driven or by hand hoes. The land is tilted to wait for the rains which start in either February or March. The Millet seeds are just sown using hoes which are traditionally made. From one hole to another the seeds are put in a small hole. One hole can take about 5-7 seeds which germinates after five days.
        Millet grows well on poorly drained and dry soils and fits well in hot climates with short rainfall periods and cool climates with brief warm summers. This has made the production of millet consistent in our Island. Our island is having most unpredicted rainfall trends for a number of years now. The Millet plant need good drainage, have a low moisture requirement and do not do well in waterlogged soils. Rusinga has most undulated valleys and soil does not store water.
        Millets are better adapted to dry, infertile soils than most other crops, and are therefore often cultivated under extremely harsh conditions - for example, high temperatures, low and erratic precipitation, short growing seasons and acidic and infertile soils with poor water-holding capacity. Most millet have strong, deep rooting systems and short life cycles, and can grow rapidly when moisture is available. As a result, they can survive and reliably produce small quantities of grain in areas where mean annual precipitation is as low as 300 mm. This compares with a minimum water requirement of 400 mm for sorghum and 500-600 mm for maize. Some species (pearl and proso millets) also appear to tolerate higher temperatures than sorghum and maize, although they do not tolerate long drought periods as well as sorghum.
        Types of Millet grown
        In the lake region the types grown depend on one area, they are usually named after the size and colour. Most millet species are yellow and reddish. Other more popular types here include; Gopari, obeko leso, Nyonyango abougo, nyakaicipe, seredo-these are the shorter types and can be planted when the time of planting is late. The shorter millet types can mature quickly. There are some species which are more durable and can give harvest with quality seeds which were mostly grown in the late sixties and early seventies. Types called Ojuti, Nyamrongo and others which I can not remember because many farmers including me don't grow them as before due to fluctuating rainfall
        Sam

        Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.