Re: [mendenyo] which of clintons hundreds of African Initiatives are best at empowering up?

  • christopher macrae
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 20, 2007
      Peter - the reason was similar to your feedback. I tried to start this conversation was because I wanted to hear from people in Africa on this subject:"I do not hear much feedback from people in Africa about how great things have become as a result of these initiatives. Development by talk and press releases does not do much to end poverty"

      Somehow or another we need to connect the big talk out of new york with the grassroots actions empowered among teams in Africa

      A second story my father and I would like to clarify goes to mobile - can we make this the biggest innovation catalyst ?

      To do so at what ted.com connects we need to find their best videos on nmobile and make sure these are used in tanzania when they meet in June. I believe the best video on how to narrow digital divides is http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/79 It also has the companion book and pop group Hear Me Now. This idea that has value multiplied what microcredit can do in Bangladesh needs to me one of the big colaboration streams at  http://www.ted.com/index.php/pages/view/id/61

      we know that another stream will be community up healthcare , what else can we make sure surfs round what Novogratz hosts

      chris

      if your internet interface accesses video smoothly, you will find that have I mixed together as much as I can get on one page of all the relevant videos of ted.com and clinton and skoll unseen heroes at http://up200.tv/_wsn/page12.html I want to feature local reviews out of Africa on which of these stories actually get to the grassroots in Africa and which never do. In this year when the world social forum, ted, and Clinton'swish and American Idol and Oprah Winfree and Richard Branson's winner of the philanthropy realitv tv apprentice rebel billionnaire all came to Africa if we fail to get the grassroots links in American psyche connected now, we can assume it is unlikely we ever will.

      Peter Burgess <peterbNYC@...> wrote:
      Dear Chris

      I guess I was merging Clinton's activities as the Clinton Foundation and the activities of the Clinton Global Initiative (CGI). The Clinton Foundation has done a lot of work with real money to improve the value flows associated with the global AIDS pandemic ... as I understand it Ambassador Holbrooke is the point person on a lot of this.

      With regard to the speaches made at the CGI ... I am not at all sure how much of what is said at the events actually gets translated into tangible funding and activities on the ground. There is certainly a lot of talk about commitment to initiatives in Africa ... but I do not hear much feedback from people in Africa about how great things have become as a result of these initiatives. Development by talk and press releases does not do much to end poverty.

      Sincerely

      Peter
      ____________
      Peter Burgess
      The Transparency and Accountability Network: Tr-Ac-Net in New York
      www.tr-ac-net. org
      IMMC - The Integrated Malaria Management Consortium Inc.
      www.IMMConsortium. org
      212 772 6918  peterbnyc@gmail. com
      Print on demand books: http://www.lulu. com Search: Peter Burgess
      "Hundreds of Issues that Impact Relief and Development Performance"
      "Revolutionary Change for Relief and Development"
      "Iraq - A New Direction – A Strategy for Peace"

      On 4/19/07, christopher macrae <chris.macrae@ yahoo.co. uk> wrote:
      From the 5 days or so I have spent exploring Clinton Global Initiative since its origins 18 months ago, I have quite a different impression from this peter

      There are certainly many initiatives which are quite specific about projects and places they want to see start up. But this still does not mean that I have any idea whether they come across the sorts of activists and independent researchers on this list.

      Let's take an example that interests me because I cant quite imagine how it finds partners. BRAC -the Bangladeshi Rural Action Committee - is in bangladesh almost as famous as Grameen bank. It serves rural communities in 2 activities that the national government could not:
      health care in a way that is similar to what Paul Farmer appears to advocate but in Brac's case its into very poor rural village original with its oral rehydration nurses who started 30 years ago; it also does primary schools for rural children;

      at Clinton BRAC september 2006 announced it had put together 250 million dollars to stsrt entdning bwhat it does to 6 muslim African countries -Afghanistan, Tanzania, Uganda, Sudan, Kenya and Nigeria - so I am curious what's sorts of organsiations in these countries is BRAC partnering and does anyone here have any collaborations with all this?

      chris macrae
      http://brac. tv
      Peter Burgess <peterbNYC@gmail. com > wrote:
      Dear Colleagues

      It is human nature to climb in any organizational structure ... and as there is success, it appears that the successful naturally move UP in the hierarchy.

      But if you are trying to build something that is going to have some durability, it is probably best to start from the bottom and let things grow organically. The Community Centric Sustainable Development (CCSD) paradigm is based on this.

      The well known big organizations have strong headquarters operations ... well known brand names, etc. To the extent that they do good work it is usually in cooperation with local operations that know the local conditions and make success in spite of the strategy coming from the top.

      It is interesting to note how little information about the local connections of the bigger well known organizations is is easily accessible ... or accessible at all. I have had several cycles of trying to get some easy cooperation with big organizations to learn about the local partners, and to say the least, I have not been encouraged. There are several reasons for this ... none of them good.

      I would imagine that the large number of Clinton Global Initiative connections is to do with the work that has been done in getting low cost AIDS drugs into Africa ... I don't know for sure, but it fits what I know.

      I am still aiming to build a solid portfolio of community initiatives around Africa ... any help with this will be very much appreciated.

      Peter

      On 4/19/07, christopher macrae <chris.macrae@ yahoo.co. uk > wrote:
      I expect some of you have already done this but may I just check?

      if you go to this bookmark and search a particular country it returns many intiatives funding specific types of projects that appear to have connected around Clinton - eg 50+ in Kenya and 30+ in Tanzania

      Do any of these initiatives actually connect with projects of peoples on these lists; if so which of the cliton foundations and project iniatives  provide grassroots collaboration models that we would most like to see more of

      I am not sure what language you all use but I am particularly interested in classifying funders into 2 lists:
      the same old global aid down

      versus the list I particularly want to monitor which involves funders that are empowering local people to do the projects. If you do look at a list relevant to your country just hearing one or two examples that you feel are trying hardest for empowerment would help me to search more and try and understand some of the networking connections between american and other opinion leaders of all of the above

      chris macrae
      which online videos are doing most good for africa http://up200. tv/_wsn/page12. html